Worst Scotland Performance

13 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

f**k yeah, that 2-2 with the Faroes; were we not two down after about ten minutes?

had erased that from my memory banks.

Almost. We were 2 down after 13 minutes. Our equaliser came in the 83rd minute. And we had a fucking terrible strip.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting line up was;

Rab Douglas

Christian Dailly

Maurice Ross 

David Weir

Steven Crainey 

Allan Johnston

Barry Ferguson

Paul Lambert

Paul Dickov

Scott Dobie

Kevin Kyle

Stevie Crawford came on for Paul Dickov at half time. Graham Alexander came on for Maurice Ross in the 76th minute and Steven Thompson came on for Scott Dobie in the 83rd minute.

Here is a representation of the game using emoticons;

Kick off:

:cheers

First few minutes:

:unsure:

:unsure2:

:blink:

:wacko:

First goal:

:o

:(

:thumbsdown

Second goal:

:1eye

:shutup

:yucky

:death

:bairn

Half time:

<_<

:huh:

:angry:

:bag

First Scotland goal:

:mellow:

Equaliser:

^_^

:ph34r:

:whistle

Full time:

:guns:bag:angry::yucky:thumbsdown:bairn

Beer:

So many games to choose from where we've barely been able to string two passes together.

In recent times, worst and most criminal was losing away to Georgia with 16 and 17 years olds in their side for shits n giggles.

Costa Rica otherwise.

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Starting line up was;

Rab Douglas

Christian Dailly

Maurice Ross 

David Weir

Steven Crainey 

Allan Johnston

Barry Ferguson

Paul Lambert

Paul Dickov

Scott Dobie

Kevin Kyle

Stevie Crawford came on for Paul Dickov at half time. Graham Alexander came on for Maurice Ross in the 76th minute and Steven Thompson came on for Scott Dobie in the 83rd minute.

Here is a representation of the game using emoticons;

Kick off:

First few minutes:

:unsure:

:blink:

:wacko:

First goal:

:o

:(

:thumbsdown

Second goal:

:1eye

:shutup

:yucky

:death

:bairn

Half time:

<_<

:huh:

:bag

First Scotland goal:

Equaliser:

^_^

:ph34r:

:whistle

Full time:

:guns:bag:angry::yucky:thumbsdown:bairn

Beer:

Dickov, Dobie,Kyle , a forward line to make you laugh if it wasn't so tragic  :yucky

Think you could name any Berti friendly we where pretty brutal.

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

Think you could name any Berti friendly we where pretty brutal.

There were a few brighter spots - beat Trinidad & Tobago 4-1 when they were decent, drew 1-1 in Spain (abandoned on 60mins).

Anyone remember us dismantling the Hong Kong League XI :lol:?

The draw with Iran in 1978 really stands out.  A truly pitiful performance in which our goal was a comedy one scored by an Iranian.

Otherwise, I'll nominate a victory.  Beating Lichtenstein in the time added onto injury time, then seeing the manager's celebrations, was more humiliating than a draw would have felt.

Scotland 0-2 Rep of Ire - Feb 2003

Sticks in my mind as I played for Glasgow Caley Uni in the afternoon at St Andrews and we won the league, however, I had mates coming down to Glasgow from Aberdeen for the Scotland game and thus missed the title winning party in order to attend Hampden with them. Scotland were absolutely abject and I've never forgiven them since, in fact I think that was the last time I attended a national team game.

Ahhh.

That was the start of their golden generation was it not? Was figo playing? Rui Costa? Other folk that I'd have heard of?

Actually it looks like figo was an unused sub.

They were decent though. Jorge cadete pre Celtic, Abel Xavier (surely not the crazy haired guy that played for everton?), rui and Jorge Costa. Paulo sousa.

Can't believe noone has mentioned the 9-3 loss to England (1963??) If a modern day Scotland mgr presided over us shipping 9 then div would require new servers and funeral directors would be inundated with corpses minus their crania. Wgs would of course claim it was a decent result.

2 hours ago, dogmc said:

Can't believe noone has mentioned the 9-3 loss to England (1963??) If a modern day Scotland mgr presided over us shipping 9 then div would require new servers and funeral directors would be inundated with corpses minus their crania. Wgs would of course claim it was a decent result.

We're not all old hoors though. Most of us won't have been alive when that game happened.

But aye, sounds a shocker. In terms of goal against I think it was our worst ever result. In terms of an aggregate beating the 7-0 loss to Uruguay at one of the early World Cups takes the prize. The SFA gave them some ludicrously warm strip I believe

We're not all old hoors though. Most of us won't have been alive when that game happened.

But aye, sounds a shocker. In terms of goal against I think it was our worst ever result. In terms of an aggregate beating the 7-0 loss to Uruguay at one of the early World Cups takes the prize. The SFA gave them some ludicrously warm strip I believe

Oi I wasn't alive either [emoji2].....the fact that it came in a decade which attracts a lot of rose tinted pish given we qualified for nothing and had a couple of real humpings always peaks my irony meter.

20 hours ago, dogmc said:

He'd probably say something like "Not many teams can go to Wembley and score three goals!"

On 10/20/2016 at 11:48, DA Baracus said:

Almost. We were 2 down after 13 minutes. Our equaliser came in the 83rd minute. And we had a fucking terrible strip.

I don't think I'd seen this before. My daughter was having her birthday party while this was happening so I didn't get the chance to watch it live. i must have not bothered watching highlights since I'd have remembered Lambert's goal with all that ricocheting. The Faroese 2nd was decent.

21 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Beating Lichtenstein in the time added onto injury time, then seeing the manager's celebrations, was more humiliating than a draw would have felt.

This.

The Portugal game at least had the consolation of the quite amusing "Bonnie Scotland, bonnie Scotland we'll support you up to four" chant.

My worst memory is the 5-1 thrashing at Wembley 1975. Stewart Kennedy in goals clearly wearing his contact lenses on the wrong feet...

The 2-2 game in the Faroe Isles has gone down in family lore in my family.  We'd just been through a really traumatic time, and were moving "back" to Scotland (where my parents are from, but which my siblings and I had only really visited before).  The day of the game was the day we arrived in Edinburgh, and we were all pretty wabbit from the journey, so went straight to bed - with me having gotten my dad to promise to wake my brother and me up for the game.  He woke up and went through to switch on the telly - just as the Faroes scored their second goal.  As he puts it, with all that had happened to us, he just couldn't face waking his boys up to watch Scotland get scudded off the Faroe Isles :lol:
It's not in the highlights video DA Baracus posted, but a Faroese friend of mine says that Petersen had another good chance  at 2-0 which he missed.  Had they gone 3-0, he says, there'd have been no way back for Scotland that day.  We were lucky enough with our first goal, as well.  They're a not bad outfit now, but they were an utter pub team in those days.
And yes, that Scotland kit is utterly honking.  Who the hell thought pinstripes were a good idea?

But I didn't actually see that game myself, so I can't really choose that as my worst.  Either of the Georgia away defeats, or that grim, grim draw in Moldova would probably get my vote.  All equally horrible.  

The 2-2 game in the Faroe Isles has gone down in family lore in my family.  We'd just been through a really traumatic time, and were moving "back" to Scotland (where my parents are from, but which my siblings and I had only really visited before).  The of the game was the day we arrived in Edinburgh, and we were all pretty wabbit from the journey, so went straight to bed - with me having gotten my dad to promise to wake my brother and me up for the game.  He woke up and went through to switch on the telly - just as the Faroes scored their second goal.  As he puts it, with all that had happened to us, he just couldn't face waking his boys up to watch Scotland get scudded off the Faroe Isles[emoji38] It's not in the highlights video DA Baracus posted, but a Faroese friend of mine says that Petersen had another good chance  at 2-0 which he missed.  Had they gone 3-0, he says, there'd have been no way back for Scotland that day.  We were lucky enough with our first goal, as well.  They're a not bad outfit now, but they were an utter pub team in those days.
And yes, that Scotland kit is utterly honking.  Who the hell thought pinstripes were a good idea?

But I didn't actually see that game myself, so I can't really choose that as my worst.  Either of the Georgia away defeats, or that grim, grim draw in Moldova would probably get my vote.  All equally horrible.  

That faroes game was day after my youngest was born.....maternity ward full of dad's shuffling over to the telly transfixed by the unfolding horror. They could indeed have been 3 up and there was much whispered swearing under the glare of the nurses and the mums who were being ignored. Anyone that thinks the relative success smith n mcleish had was due to Vogts is utterly deluded. He was clueless.

Archived