Nintendo Switch

bunglebonce

2 hours ago, Turbo_dee said:

To everyone that has a switch, how are the joycons? I've heard mostly good things so far.

They're small but surprisingly ergonomic.

On their sides as if sharing them for multiplayer, they're passable at a pinch for short periods of play.

In the grip that is included, they're absolutely fine, I have no thought of getting the Pro controller.

Holding them in each hand without the grip like the Wiimote + nunchuck is how I prefer to use them.

Having said that, I've mostly been playing Zelda in handheld mode ie with them attached to the device.

On 1/21/2017 at 15:48, DavidMcG said:

Who on earth plays games for 'the graphics' in this day and age? The difference between the lot of them (to the average gaming fan) is so small it's barely noticeable. They all have 'great' graphics.

This is one of my main gripes with PC gaming community.  Constantly going on about frame rate, resolution etc.  I would always put gameplay above graphics - hence why some of the older great games are just as much, if not more, fun than some new releases.

28 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

This is one of my main gripes with PC gaming community.  Constantly going on about frame rate, resolution etc.  I would always put gameplay above graphics - hence why some of the older great games are just as much, if not more, fun than some new releases.

It was always the same. All the Amstrad kids bragged about how much better their graphics were to the Spectrum kids, then they moved on to the amazing graphical things that their Amiga custom chips could do that the Atari ST couldn't. Oh, the furious masturbation that accompanied Mode 7 arriving on the SNES!  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, everyone else just got on with enjoying the good games on their system, of which there were always an elegant sufficiency. Apart from the the poor b*****ds with machines like the CD-i or Atari Jaguar  :shutup

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It was always the same. All the Amstrad kids bragged about how much better their graphics were to the Spectrum kids, then they moved on to the amazing graphical things that their Amiga custom chips could do that the Atari ST couldn't. Oh, the furious masturbation that accompanied Mode 7 arriving on the SNES!  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, everyone else just got on with enjoying the good games on their system, of which there were always an elegant sufficiency. Apart from the the poor b*****ds with machines like the CD-i or Atari Jaguar  :shutup

One of my cousins' households (there were 5 of them in this particular house) was once home to both a CDi and a Jaguar at the same time. 

Was the only chance I'd ever gotten at playing either console. The Jaguar was rotten because it was a '64 bit' machine but it was technically no worse than a SNES. Just a shite controller and game selection. 

The CDi was on a whole other plane of utter shite though. 

Just noticed that the switch has the same button letters as the Xbox but in different positions.

Why would they do that?  Obviously X,Y makes sense as axis but whats with the A & C?  

52 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Just noticed that the switch has the same button letters as the Xbox but in different positions.

Why would they do that?  Obviously X,Y makes sense as axis but whats with the A & C?  

Think you'll find that it's the xbox that has the same letters as Nintendo but in different positions. ;)

19 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Anyone like to hazard a guess why Microsoft would've copied this?

It's a business model that's always worked well for them in the past.

48 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Oh aye so it is.

Anyone like to hazard a guess why Microsoft would've copied this?

I generally always took 'A' and 'B' as 'action' and 'back' so I guess that was reasoning behind those.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Not to go too far off topic but talking about shite consoles reminds me of my Amiga CD32...

cd32_3_big.jpg

A few half-decent games (Diggers and Microcosm) and then it was discontinued as I think Commodore went bust. Got it for Christmas and think it was about £300 (which seems mental compared to what you can get now for that).

I'm assuming that the switch will get the Memory upgrade that all other systems get a year or so into their lives. 32Gb isn't a lot and will fill up quick.

Zelda does look amazing, think i'll hold off getting one till more titles are out. Wasn't excited for Wii U at all if im honest but switch looks like it has potential. 

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

I'm assuming that the switch will get the Memory upgrade that all other systems get a year or so into their lives. 32Gb isn't a lot and will fill up quick.

Nintendo will almost certainly release some kind of hardware revision, they've done that to their handheld devices since the DS.

I'm not sure if they'll add more storage.  The other consoles have the old-style hard disks in them, which makes upgrading the size of them fairly affordable.  The Switch (as with phones and tablets) uses solid-state storage that is more expensive per Gb.  They should still have a bigger size than 32 though, as should iPhones etc.

ETA: It takes micro SD cards btw.

Edited by bunglebonce