Times up Jim

McDiarmid got a stake in the club, and his family got the money back over time. The land was worth ~£400k, FWIW.

What family would that be?

And how did they get the money back?

A dividend? Are there different classes of shares or have the Brown's been getting dividends too?

I said in today's money. Including the Tesco site it's roughly 50 acres. Arable land currently makes > 10k an acre. But this is retail zoned (inside the bypass), could have been residentially zoned if Bruce had been pushing for it. We are talking 20 million, possibly more.

You're speaking out of the hole in your arse.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

What family would that be?

His children, obviously.

And how did they get the money back?

He got a 20% share in the club, which as far as I know, was bought back after his death.

A dividend? Are there different classes of shares or have the Brown's been getting dividends too?

No, no dividend. They got the money back through selling the 20% share they had.

I said in today's money. Including the Tesco site it's roughly 50 acres. Arable land currently makes > 10k an acre. But this is retail zoned (inside the bypass), could have been residentially zoned if Bruce had been pushing for it. We are talking 20 million, possibly more.

You're speaking out of the hole in your arse.

Bruce McDiarmid donated ~16 acres, of berry fields, an act that saved the club around £400k in total (hint, £400k wasn't the price of the land alone). The Tesco site wasn't part of that, so I've no idea why you're bringing that into it.

10ds86d.jpg

The bit in red is all we own, and that was highlighted during the recent discussions about building a new road, which would cut into the area on the right. Tesco own their ground, and also own Dobbies further up the road. 

If you can find 16 acres of arable land being sold for £20m anywhere, then please, post some proof. But heres 15 acres currently for sale for £75k...

http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/land-for-sale.asp?id=73001

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

His children, obviously.

He got a 20% share in the club, which as far as I know, was bought back after his death.

No, no dividend. They got the money back through selling the 20% share they had.

Bruce McDiarmid donated ~16 acres, of berry fields, an act that saved the club around £400k in total (hint, £400k wasn't the price of the land alone). The Tesco site wasn't part of that, so I've no idea why you're bringing that into it.

10ds86d.jpg

The bit in red is all we own, and that was highlighted during the recent discussions about building a new road, which would cut into the area on the right. Tesco own their ground, and also own Dobbies further up the road. 

If you can find 16 acres of arguable land being sold for £20m anywhere, then please, post some proof. But heres 15 acres currently for sale for £75k...

I think it was his sisters kids who received the money Random. Bruce was a gentleman, although he did swing a brogued foot at me when I was a nipper. Totally understandable as I was trying to steal his hay bales at the time.

10ds86d.jpg

If you can find 16 acres of arable land being sold for £20m anywhere, then please, post some proof. But heres 15 acres currently for sale for £75k...

A swing and a miss, champ.'

a) he had no children

b) his nephew remains a significant shareholder and was a director - no money has been or will be repaid. It was gifted.

c) the Tesco plot was thrown in by Bruce as a sweetener for the whole deal FOC - to fund the construction

d) have a look at Mr Ritchie's deal for Mains of Huntingtower, on the other side of the bypass from the Newton of Huntingtower (the holding from which the St Johnstone windfall was carved) and hence inherently less valuable.

The shitey bit of the Newton of Huntingtower that's left is valued at 10 million and that's roughly 1/3 of the size of the St Johnstone windfall.

You blow off so knowledgeably about almost anything and everything and clearly at least some of the time you're havering total pish.

Having a go at Ross County when without Bruce McDiarmid's generosity you'd be lucky to be in the Championship yourselves.

8 hours ago, Fifespud said:

A swing and a miss, champ.'

a) he had no children

b) his nephew remains a significant shareholder and was a director - no money has been or will be repaid. It was gifted.

c) the Tesco plot was thrown in by Bruce as a sweetener for the whole deal FOC - to fund the construction

d) have a look at Mr Ritchie's deal for Mains of Huntingtower, on the other side of the bypass from the Newton of Huntingtower (the holding from which the St Johnstone windfall was carved) and hence inherently less valuable.

The shitey bit of the Newton of Huntingtower that's left is valued at 10 million and that's roughly 1/3 of the size of the St Johnstone windfall.

You blow off so knowledgeably about almost anything and everything and clearly at least some of the time you're havering total pish.

Having a go at Ross County when without Bruce McDiarmid's generosity you'd be lucky to be in the Championship yourselves.

As far as I knew, they got their money after Bruce McDiarmid passed, as it was simply a gift to him (which he tried to refuse) to allow his family something back as the club felt he was giving away too much. Whats his nephews name?

Asda funded the construction as part of the deal to buy the Muirton Park area, and I'm fairly sure William Low owned the land, and had a supermarket, where Tesco now sits.

I'm still not overly sure how it all works in to this "Bruce saved St Johnstone" schtick though, by all accounts Asda were willing to help us out if we needed to buy land anyway. And its worth remembering we were top flight regulars, and had played in Europe, before we even moved to McDiarmid, its simply allowed us to build up money, over the 27 years since it was built, that pushes us ahead of stupider clubs who refuse to leave their current hovels, and is in no way similar to having a millionaire owner digging int his own pocket every six months.

I think it was his sisters kids who received the money Random. Bruce was a gentleman, although he did swing a brogued foot at me when I was a nipper. Totally understandable as I was trying to steal his hay bales at the time.

What kind of phucking oddball steals bales of hay

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Wait, is Fifespud actually comparing the way Ross County are run ti the way St Johnstone are run?

Watch how in one moment Spuddy spends hours obsessing over St Johnstone, & the next says that actually nobody at Dundee care about those farmers anyway and it's definitely not a rivalry game for Dundee. He's a special one.

As far as I knew, they got their money after Bruce McDiarmid passed, as it was simply a gift to him (which he tried to refuse) to allow his family something back as the club felt he was giving away too much. Whats his nephews name?

Asda funded the construction as part of the deal to buy the Muirton Park area, and I'm fairly sure William Low owned the land, and had a supermarket, where Tesco now sits.

I'm still not overly sure how it all works in to this "Bruce saved St Johnstone" schtick though, by all accounts Asda were willing to help us out if we needed to buy land anyway. And its worth remembering we were top flight regulars, and had played in Europe, before we even moved to McDiarmid, its simply allowed us to build up money, over the 27 years since it was built, that pushes us ahead of stupider clubs who refuse to leave their current hovels, and is in no way similar to having a millionaire owner digging int his own pocket every six months.

Bob Reid, 20% shareholder, the second biggest after Geoff.

No money was given back.

Look this is all public knowledge.

All I'm saying that you are having a pop at RC when the truth is that without Bruce McDiarmid donating a plot of land worth at least £20M in today's money Sainties could not be remotely in the situation they're in now.

I'm going to digress and tell a nice wee Bruce McDiarmid story.

Late one spring he started construction on a small bungalow on a nice plot on one of his farms near Coupar Angus.

Once sewing and planting was over the farm hands were helping out. One of Bruce's most senior tractor men finally plucked up the courage to ask a question that his wife had been plaguing him to ask for months.

'Boss - building this house has brought to mind a wee problem me and the wife are worrying about' - 'oh and what's that Willie' - 'well Boss as yes ken I retire in 6 months time and we've got a tied cottage and the wife says that we need to put our names on the council house list now. And if a house comes up I'll need to move off the farm and into it and I just wanted to know if you'd be ok with me living off site?' - 'Council Willie?? Who do you thinking I'm building this bungalow for? It's for you and Jean. You'll not want to live in the middle of the farm when you retire Willie and you don't have to worry about where you'll live for the rest of both your lives'.

He was some boy.

6 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

All I'm saying that you are having a pop at RC when the truth is that without Bruce McDiarmid donating a plot of land worth at least £20M in today's money Sainties could not be remotely in the situation they're in now.

Why are you fixating on this £20m line? All he saved us at the time was £400k, a figure Asda were willing to pick up, and a figure the club could've paid. All he done was save us that fee, and save us time in the planning process. It was 27 years ago. Regardless of where the stadium was built, it was always planned as being one where it bring in income seven days of the week, so we'd always be making the money we have over the past three decades, and we'd always have had Geoff Brown in charge.

5 minutes ago, Spain said:

Roy & McDiarmid > Calum Melville

This is what it comes down to with Spud, he's absolutely desperate to create some fictional reason for why Dundee have struggled while we've prospered.

Archived