Times up Jim

This is what it comes down to with Spud, he's absolutely desperate to create some fictional reason for why Dundee have struggled while we've prospered.

No. Deflect, deflect, deflect.

So let me understand this - the value of the land was 400k, Asda were prepared to pay this, but Geoff and Bruce said 'nah that's ok guys, you keep it'?

You think Asda paid so much for Muirton, on top of that they had the demolition costs, that that funded the building of the new ground, function suites, training pitches, car parking and the 5 a side arenas?

How naive and thick are you?

You are having a pop (call it jealousy) at the way Ross County are being run. I'm pointing out that you're own club was the beneficiary of perhaps the largest act of philanthropy in the history of Scottish provincial football clubs and all you can do is totally diss the magnitude of Bruce McDiarmid's generosity. It's a pretty poor show RG.

Do I wish Dundee had had a Roy McGregor or a Bruce McDiarmid - of course I do. To get a lucky break like that is brilliant.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

No. Deflect, deflect, deflect.

So let me understand this - the value of the land was 400k, Asda were prepared to pay this, but Geoff and Bruce said 'nah that's ok guys, you keep it'?

Asda made an offer for the land at Muirton before the club had even decided to leave. The offer included the price of a new stadium, and help buying land, if we accepted it and moved. McDiarmids land was identified, and he willingly donated it once he was told it would be for a new stadium. The club tried to pay him, and tried to give him a larger shareholding in the club, but he refused, before finally accepting the 20% share. 

You think Asda paid so much for Muirton, on top of that they had the demolition costs, that that funded the building of the new ground, function suites, training pitches, car parking and the 5 a side arenas?

Asda paid for the demolition of Muirton, and for the building of the new stadium, including the function suites inside the stand. The training pitch (which is also the five a side pitch) and car park was paid for by the club. 

1 hour ago, Caballero said:

What kind of phucking oddball steals bales of hay

We were about 8 years old, there is a burn surrounding the field, we stole hay, put it in the burn and had a tree swing which you could then land in the soft hay. Generations of young folk from Tulloch used to do this.

Think it's the first place I fingered a burd. Also Bruces Berry field adjacent was where I first had my tadger inside a burd. Happy days.

I am a classy guy :lol:

Asda paid for the demolition of Muirton, and for the building of the new stadium, including the function suites inside the stand. The training pitch (which is also the five a side pitch) and car park was paid for by the club. 

You're just making shite up. You didn't know his nephew's name or of his shareholding 2 hours ago.

Geoff and Bruce were very close given that Bruce owned a big chunk of the development land on the Western Edge.

The whole site was in one big wrapper, Geoff got Willie Low to buy their bit and that cash, plus the Asda money built the ground.

Bruce had no kids. Some people leave 20 million to the cat and dog home he left this share of his fortune to SJ and his name lives on in perpetuity - of course it allows some gob shites to diss him now, 30 years on.

Had this land passed to Bill and Bob Reid, today they could sell it for 20 million. Bruce McDiarmid was a very able man who well knew the value of his assets. Bruce had a pretty significant shareholding in the club prior to all this, it may even have been greater than the 20% the family have now. The land was DONATED.

I have the significant advantage of actually knowing the truth in all this whereas you're getting yourself tied in knots and are doing your clubs greatest benefactor an enormous disservice.

You're out of your depth here champ.

We were about 8 years old, there is a burn surrounding the field, we stole hay, put it in the burn and had a tree swing which you could then land in the soft hay. Generations of young folk from Tulloch used to do this.

Think it's the first place I fingered a burd. Also Bruces Berry field adjacent was where I first had my tadger inside a burd. Happy days.

I am a classy guy :lol:

Nothing like a bit of berry field shagging.

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

You're just making shite up. You didn't know his nephew's name or of his shareholding 2 hours ago.

Geoff and Bruce were very close given that Bruce owned a big chunk of the development land on the Western Edge.

The whole site was in one big wrapper, Geoff got Willie Low to buy their bit and that cash, plus the Asda money built the ground.

Bruce had no kids. Some people leave 20 million to the cat and dog home he left this share of his fortune to SJ and his name lives on in perpetuity - of course it allows some gob shites to diss him now, 30 years on.

Had this land passed to Bill and Bob Reid, today they could sell it for 20 million. Bruce McDiarmid was a very able man who well knew the value of his assets. Bruce had a pretty significant shareholding in the club prior to all this, it may even have been greater than the 20% the family have now. The land was DONATED.

I have the significant advantage of actually knowing the truth in all this whereas you're getting yourself tied in knots and are doing your clubs greatest benefactor an enormous disservice.

You're out of your depth here champ.

As far as I knew his "heirs", which I assumed were his children, got his shares and then got them bought out. 

Again, he never handed us £20m of land, he handed us £400k of land. 

As far I know we never owned any of the land past the bypass, as all our land ownings have been documented over the past few years with the new road being built.

Its not me whos claiming that our training pitch and "five a side arena" isn't just an astroturf pitch similar to one in the park up the road.

I've still no idea why you think we'd be "nowhere near" the club we are today without his donation.

As far as I knew his "heirs", which I assumed were his children, got his shares and then got them bought out. 

Again, he never handed us £20m of land, he handed us £400k of land. 

As far I know we never owned any of the land past the bypass, as all our land ownings have been documented over the past few years with the new road being built.

Its not me whos claiming that our training pitch and "five a side arena" isn't just an astroturf pitch similar to one in the park up the road.

I've still no idea why you think we'd be "nowhere near" the club we are today without his donation.

Well regarding his heirs you were totally wrong.

Tesco's is inside the bypass. He owned that too and it was included in the 'gift'. So you are totally wrong on that too.

I said all along at today's values. Geoff, Bruce, Bill and Bob Reid (himself a very successful property developer) knew the enormity of the endowment at the time and its future value.

They built something that would be the gift that kept on giving.

Just accept that like Ross County you've had a massive stroke of good fortune. Without this gift you couldn't have afforded to build the income generating function suites, the income generating 5 aside pitches. You'd have had a 5000 seater stadium with no frills shoe horned in to a minuscule bit of ground.

Please don't disrespect the man anymore. It's unbecoming.

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Well regarding his heirs you were totally wrong.

Tesco's is inside the bypass. He owned that too and it was included in the 'gift'. So you are totally wrong on that too.

I said all along at today's values. Geoff, Bruce, Bill and Bob Reid (himself a very successful property developer) knew the enormity of the endowment at the time and its future value.

They built something that would be the gift that kept on giving.

Just accept that like Ross County you've had a massive stroke of good fortune. Without this gift you couldn't have afforded to build the income generating function suites, the income generating 5 aside pitches. You'd have had a 5000 seater stadium with no frills shoe horned in to a minuscule bit of ground.

Please don't disrespect the man anymore. It's unbecoming.

We never owned the land at Tesco. The "bypass" I'm on about is the slip road onto it, the post I made earlier highlights the land we got.

Asda were building us the stadium, regardless of the site. So I've absolutely no idea why you think it would be any different? You seem to have this weird suggestion that the suites aren't part of the stadium. The club built the five-a-side pitch themselves, again, you're suggesting its something special with calling it a "five a side arena", and now "pitches", its nothing special, its just an astroturf pitch, which gets cut into four five a side pitches the width of the pitch, by a set of training cones.

Quite incredible that the club owned huge tracts of land yet they've never appeared in the financial statements or the board minutes.

Or it could be that Fifespud's a fantasist.

Tricky one.

The club didn't own the land, Bruce McDiarmid did. The money that came from Willie Low's got rolled into the whole thing.

Even if we set that aside, the value of the land owned by the club, in today's money is worth 10 million in a fire sale (I'd say it's worth at least 15 million, more with a bit of luck).

Now has Roy McGregor, in today's money put in more than 10 million to Ross County? I have no idea but very much doubt it.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

The club didn't own the land, Bruce McDiarmid did. The money that came from Willie Low's got rolled into the whole thing.

The transaction between Saints and Mr McDiarmid was a non-monetary transaction so your claim is nonsense.

How's Angus Cook these days?

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Even if we set that aside, the value of the land owned by the club, in today's money is worth 10 million in a fire sale (I'd say it's worth at least 15 million, more with a bit of luck).

This is what it comes down to.

The land was worth 400k spuddy. No ifs no buts. That is what it was worth. That is what Saints benefitted. Anything the land is worth now means jack shit.

This is what it comes down to.

The land was worth 400k spuddy. No ifs no buts. That is what it was worth. That is what Saints benefitted. Anything the land is worth now means jack shit.

Well it doesn't because I said from the out set 'in today's money'.

Thank you.

The transaction between Saints and Mr McDiarmid was a non-monetary transaction so your claim is nonsense.

How's Angus Cook these days?

You know this - how?

I have no idea but he certainly didn't inject 10-15 million in to Dundee FC.

Fucking hell. 

We got land worth £400k, we built a stadium costing £5.5m on it, is the basis of your argument really that we could never, ever, have bought that land unless it was gifted to us? And that we'd have never, ever been able to build that stadium anywhere else in Perth?

Sshh don't tell spuddy but Dundee were helped to buy the land at Dens when they shifted from Carolina port. Must be worth 20m in today's money. :lol:  it's all just pish spuddy. utter utter pish.

* this may or not be true. tbh I couldn't give a f**k so never looked it up.

Fucking hell. 

We got land worth £400k, we built a stadium costing £5.5m on it, is the basis of your argument really that we could never, ever, have bought that land unless it was gifted to us? And that we'd have never, ever been able to build that stadium anywhere else in Perth?

So somehow you think that Asda paid 5.5 million for Muirton, then had to knock it down, when they could have bought the plot Willie Low bought for presumably less than 400k McDiarmid was worth, as it's half the footprint, and on a green field site.

You're delusional.

The William Low deal through G S Brown, the selling of Muirton to Asda and the donation of the entire site were all entwined but the only person who got nothing back was Bruce McDiarmid. He well knew he was sitting on a Klondike but decided to do something really good for SJFC. The ground could not have been built remotely to the scale and standard it is, in fact not built at all debt free, without that.

In today's money the McDiarmid land is worth 10M in a fire sale, the entire site including Tesco is worth 20M in a fire sale. That's what I said at the start, it's true and indisputable.

Ross County, being the recipients of help from a wealthy benefactor are merely following in the footsteps of St Johnstone.

Archived