The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

The 80s were the worst time for iraqis under saddam you say, round about the same time the wrst supported him. The 2nd gulf war has ruined Iraq and anyone arguing otherwise is in fantasy land.

The Kurds would take issue with being called Iraqi.

You are also prioritising a construct a hundred year old construct over several quite older ethnic groupings, and ignoring Hussein’s own brand of hegemonic nationalism.

1 hour ago, KarlMarx said:

Good for you.

You're entitled to your beliefs.

The people murdered by Uncle Sam no longer have that choice.

Cheers mate.

That's the same reductive argument used against Leninists and Stalinists lol. Not that I think either of you are exactly correct here but still.

The Kurds would take issue with being called Iraqi.

You are also prioritising a construct a hundred year old construct over several quite older ethnic groupings, and ignoring Hussein’s own brand of hegemonic nationalism.

Im not ignoring anything. A tribal country lile Iraq needs someone like Suddam. It cant even be considered a functioning state now....just like Libya.

Anyway this all stems from you suggesting that Iraq is better off now than it was 20 years ago which is total bullshit imo.

Again, my post was never claiming that everyone in Iraq was benefiting. Precisely the opposite. My issue was the idea that the USA has made Iraq worse full stop.

It’s one of the key failings of the handover, and a major, major problem in civil society (or lack thereof) is a sectarian bias. That said, all of the programmes are open to both Sunni and Shi’a; a division which is very marked in certain parts of the country and almost unnoticeable in others. It goes hand in hand with economic imbalances as well as religious differences.

Very few Christians? In Baghdad, certainly. Not elsewhere. Tariq Aziz was a monied Christian with party political connections. Christian Arabs were generally forced to move North as Saddam became increasingly unhinged. Iraq’s cities are, to a greater or lesser extent, ghettoised. But that’s not an affect of Western intervention. In recent years, Christians have been able (rightly or wrongly) to present themselves as a persecuted minority in a way closed off to Muslims. I have issues with that in some ways, but it’s besides the point. It certain explains migration rates though.

ETA: I believe, although I may be wrong, that it’s generally been established that there were as many as 30 separate uses of targeted chemical attacks on Kurdish villages over a period of years in the mid to late 80s. The US Department of State has overseen a cataloguing of those attacks, i will try and find them in the morning. Halabja was merely the nadir, for want of a better word. I’d say, relatively speaking, that counts as routine usage.

This is no place for nuanced and balanced points.

America is not the goodies. They are baddies.

Trump is such a boss. Imagine how fresh it would be to catch a roll of paper towels he threw into a crowd. I'd be stoked.

Video has emerged of the San Juan Mayor, our supposed fellow citizen, taking her oath of office.

6 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Is that his try out for the New Jersey Generals?

Think you're getting your sports confused.

21 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Trump is such a boss. Imagine how fresh it would be to catch a roll of paper towels he threw into a crowd. I'd be stoked.

Video has emerged of the San Juan Mayor, our supposed fellow citizen, taking her oath of office.

Think you're getting your sports confused.

You are without doubt a fucking clown just like Trump.

Done your research on America's disgusting history yet Swampy?

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've got a few issues with this, not least what the wonders of "Fulbright Scholarship, Access English, Iraqi Young Leaders Programme, and other academic and humanitarian projects funded by the US Department of State,... the access to uncensored media, movies and music... the bars, clubs and international tourism in Iraq, too, much of which is supported or funded by the good ol' US of A." have done for the Sunni population. 

And as evil as Saddam was he did not " routinely fire chemical weapons at dissidents" , that would be absurd, where would he aim them? He used them in the Iran war on the battlefield, and once against Kurdish civilians at Halabja, as you mentioned. Christians had very little trouble until after the American and British invasion, now there are very few left. Saddam's Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz was a Christian, for instance.

Must have been a fan of the Old Testament, imho.