The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Imagine the outcry had this happened in normal politics. Boris charters private jet at £0.5m to take him and his wife to Parkhead  so that they could walk out offended before the game starts due to the lack of British patriotism on show. 

Does anybody here follow the NFL?

I'm a bit out of the loop because I only listened to the Steelers game on the radio, and then I got angry about the game so I've tuned out the NFL until now. 

I'm almost 100% sure that Pence did not go to the game just to make this display. Peyton Manning was having his statue unveiled and number retired before the game. Peyton is one of the biggest philanthropists in Indiana history. He's also a Republican (supported Jeb Bush in 2016 if I remember correctly), so I assume he's friends with Pence. I'm sure this trip had been planned for awhile. But then Pence is stuck in a hard spot because his boss had been publically calling for a boycott of the NFL over the kneeling. I suppose this is the strategy they came up with. Go to Peyton's ceremony, and then leave when the 49ers guys inevitably kneel. It's dumb in my opinion, and disrespectful to Peyton Manning to upstage his day. Weird that you guys would have a problem with protests at football games though. I thought you all were supporting that. Or is it that you just support protests when you agree with them and have no actual principles on the issue?

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

Let me get this right - you think that because people like to "protest", Pence incurring costs of half a million and a bit so he could walk out offended should be ok with people who might not have an office of state?  

What we're talking about here is the vice President of the USA protesting against people using the constitution to exercise their right to free expression. 

THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.  

Protest is generally the tool of those not in govt.

24 minutes ago, HTG said:

Let me get this right - you think that because people like to "protest", Pence incurring costs of half a million and a bit so he could walk out offended should be ok with people who might not have an office of state?  

What we're talking about here is the vice President of the USA protesting against people using the constitution to exercise their right to free expression. 

THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.  

Protest is generally the tool of those not in govt.

Again, do we know that he traveled to the game just to do this? 

I'm assuming he was there for Peyton's ceremony, but was stuck in a though position with how to act when the players kneeled because of what Trump has been saying in the past few weeks.

He has the right to an opinion, just like the rest of us. I wish he'd leave the NFL out of his culture war, but then I also wish NFL players wouldn't use the national anthem as a stage for their protests. I suppose people have the right to dumb protests, though. 

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone who continues to defend Donald Trump and his calamitous attempt at running a govt is a fucking idiot, or a troll. Or in the case of the above, both.

What do you get out of peddling this tedious shite? Lets leave politocs aside for now. What do you get out of this stupid act?

Six straight posts criticizing Pence for this.

One post from me offering an alternative explanation that naturally occurred to me but would not have occurred to most foreigners. 

Two more back and forth posts.

Do you understand the definition of tedious? I'd assume 300 pages of post after post criticizing Trump, with some misinformation or misinterpretation thrown in, would fit that definition.

Typed "when did Mike Pence plan trip to Colts game" into Google.

Found an article that says the trip had been planed for weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/08/politics/pence-indianapolis-flights-cost/index.html

But of course that fact isn't highlighted in another instance of "fake news." They are going to prefer that the ignorant people thinking this was nothing more than a planned political stunt go on thinking that.

His options were:

1. Cancel his trip, which was to see Manning's ceremony more than the game.

2. Go against his boss and watch an NFL game after players kneel.

3. Go to Manning's ceremony, but get up and leave if players kneel.

Everyone in this thread before I arrived was misinformed on this topic. I knew what really happened without even looking it up because I am an American who follows the NFL. Yet somehow posting correct information and contradicting the narrative the that fake news is allowing to take hold makes me a troll. 

The press pool that follow Pence were told by one of his staffers not to bother leaving the bus as 'he won't be staying long'.

Trump and Pence have taken virtue signalling to a whole new level.