The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Six House Democrats have started impeachment proceedings. Will likely lead to hee haw, but it's good value on Twitter seeing Cletus and Billy Bob foaming at their toothless mouths. 8)

The more of these token impeachments we get, the less affect a real impeachment will have in the minds of the public and reasonable Republicans.

The Democrats are utterly hapless.

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The more of these token impeachments we get, the less affect a real impeachment will have in the minds of the public and reasonable Republicans.

The Democrats are utterly hapless.

Agree with all of that, particularly the last sentence.  If Trump lasts until 2020, and that's debatable, the Democrats losing another term to him would be the most minterish thing ever to happen in politics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42001038

The sensationalist stuff about him being a “ghost hunter” is far less worrying than other aspects of this.

One of President Donald Trump's judicial nominees is a ghost hunter who has written several novellas about paranormal activities.

The appointment of Brett Talley, 36, for a lifetime post as an Alabama federal judge is raising eyebrows because he has never tried a case.

It also emerged he failed to disclose on a conflict-of-interest questionnaire that his wife is a White House lawyer.

The Harvard-educated lawyer was unanimously deemed "not qualified" by the American Bar Association to serve an appointment on the US District Court for the Middle District of Alabama.

Mr Talley, who has practised law for three years, has written right-wing blog posts critical of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, whom he labelled "Rotten", according to US media.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Agree with all of that, particularly the last sentence.  If Trump lasts until 2020, and that's debatable, the Democrats losing another term to him would be the most minterish thing ever to happen in politics.

Right. This, for me, is even more interesting than Trump's idiocy.  How are the Democrats going to avoid losing to a president with a 33% approval rating?  But the Democrats have shown absolutely no leadership, no self-awareness, and no willingness to reflect on why Clinton lost so badly.  

Yet again the parallels with Nixon are striking.  If we use the last two weeks or so as a bellwether, the Republicans should be completely screwed in 2018.  Even with that, though, there's no reason to think Trump will definitely be impeached in the next year and a half (it took two years to impeach Nixon after Watergate, and he won an election and resigned before they could even do that).  I'd suggest if Trump isn't impeached in 2019, then he may well win 2020.    And of course, impeachment doesn't mean a change of president.  

George McGovern losing to Richard Nixon is entirely on the American electorate. They doubled down.  Trump beating Clinton is entirely on the Democrats.  There are some differences there.  Whomever is selected to run in 2020, if they are up against Trump and are remotely competent, is putting it all in the hands of the fine American voters, who don't like to believe their president is a crook.  There's a chance that a competent Democrat campaign loses 2020.  There's also a significant possibility a campaign as poor as Clinton's takes to the field in 2020, and manages to consolidate Trump's administration.  You call it minterish, I call it entirely predictable (and minterish).

The timing of this all is going to be fascinating.  Russia/laundering will bring Trump down.  I don't think that's in question.  It's just a matter of when, and whether he has time to completely destroy either of the two parties before it happens, which I think is his ultimate goal.

If I was Pelosi I would remove any ties to Hilary Clinton and her incompetent campaign. I'd even ask her to leave the party.  I'd stop these symbolic impeachment moves, and I'd resign.  The Democrats would then elect a competent leader (plenty have shown the fortitude in the last few months), with all eyes on the mid-terms.  All mention of the 2016 campaign, gerrymandering, media bias and other breathless hyperbole would go out the window.  Trump will bring himself down, if he hasn't already.  Local government and local issues should be the focus for the mid-terms, not going around yelling perjury at every single Trump advisor.  Mueller will take his own sweet time.   

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Nothing says 'draining the swamp' more than the hiring an unqualified relative of someone who works in the White House.

It's right across the board, too.  The fat b*****d that was meant for the science job, the education woman... draining the swamp means keeping the swamp exactly as it is, and giving jobs to unqualified friends.  But of course, to the Trump cultists, he's done what he's promised.  Just like the Muslim ban that never happened, Trump's sold his snake oil to the fine folk of Wisconsin.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Right. This, for me, is even more interesting than Trump's idiocy.  How are the Democrats going to avoid losing to a president with a 33% approval rating?  But the Democrats have shown absolutely no leadership, no self-awareness, and no willingness to reflect on why Clinton lost so badly.  

Yet again the parallels with Nixon are striking.  If we use the last two weeks or so as a bellwether, the Republicans should be completely screwed in 2018.  Even with that, though, there's no reason to think Trump will definitely be impeached in the next year and a half (it took two years to impeach Nixon after Watergate, and he won an election and resigned before they could even do that).  I'd suggest if Trump isn't impeached in 2019, then he may well win 2020.    And of course, impeachment doesn't mean a change of president.  

George McGovern losing to Richard Nixon is entirely on the American electorate. They doubled down.  Trump beating Clinton is entirely on the Democrats.  There are some differences there.  Whomever is selected to run in 2020, if they are up against Trump and are remotely competent, is putting it all in the hands of the fine American voters, who don't like to believe their president is a crook.  There's a chance that a competent Democrat campaign loses 2020.  There's also a significant possibility a campaign as poor as Clinton's takes to the field in 2020, and manages to consolidate Trump's administration.  You call it minterish, I call it entirely predictable (and minterish).

The timing of this all is going to be fascinating.  Russia/laundering will bring Trump down.  I don't think that's in question.  It's just a matter of when, and whether he has time to completely destroy either of the two parties before it happens, which I think is his ultimate goal.

If I was Pelosi I would remove any ties to Hilary Clinton and her incompetent campaign. I'd even ask her to leave the party.  I'd stop these symbolic impeachment moves, and I'd resign.  The Democrats would then elect a competent leader (plenty have shown the fortitude in the last few months), with all eyes on the mid-terms.  All mention of the 2016 campaign, gerrymandering, media bias and other breathless hyperbole would go out the window.  Trump will bring himself down, if he hasn't already.  Local government and local issues should be the focus for the mid-terms, not going around yelling perjury at every single Trump advisor.  Mueller will take his own sweet time.   

You’d be looking for selflessness amongst key players that simply doesn’t exist; and remember there are many in the upper circles of the Democrat establishment that will use Clinton’s vote majority over Trump to reject the idea of the campaign being a disaster.

The counterthought would be that no Dem who's thinking about it is willing to put their head above the parapet at this stage and give Murdoch's machine yet more time to smear and assassinate them. There seems to be a bit of a consensus growing in who might run - Biden, Booker, Gillibrand, Harris and obvs Bernie and Liz. Chris Murphy seems to be building himself a profile and Al Franken comes over really well, although continues to say he's got no interest. Can you imagine Fox News tho? Al Franken worked on SNL and so did Belushi and Farley who died from DRUGS. And Larry David who's a GLOBALIST. And so forth.

The Dems just have to quietly start developing positive messages and policies and people that can sell them in places they're accepted and known as locals, not carpet baggers from Washington or think tanks. They don't need a leader yet, it's the mid terms that matter and developing momentum and trust from the ground up. They just need Clinton quiet, stop refighting 2016, let Mueller do his job and let Trump implode. Also rely on checks and balances to prevent Trump from doing serious harm, impeachment even with reasonable evidence would be disastrous for the country unless he was caught on Fox News live raping a twelve year old at a beauty pageant. After Alabama he might get away with that too with his base.