Next QotS Manager

Duffy was appointed while Morton were in the league below was he not? In any case he'd actually started to rebuild his career and done a very respectable and good job at Clyde, McCall was perfectly fine with Partick in the old first division for years and again, was appointed in the tier below, saved Ayr from relegation and got them promoted.

Locke I'll give you, he is a bit shit but he has at least experience of managing at bigger clubs and within a full time set up, I'd have Naysmith with the worst c.v quite comfortably.

As an aside when he was appointed as manager(December 13)East Fife were 7th in the table, 3 points above Arbroath in 9th and 8 points above bottom placed Airdrie. Only 4 points from 5th place.

By the end of the season in May they were in 9th, 1 point above Arbroath and 10 points(and the worst Gd in the division) behind 8th placed Brechin, I wouldn't say East Fife were anywhere close to being "all but relegated".

They won the title last year with the lowest points total in over 22 years also, could be more but I stopped looking at the '94 season.

Take away Nathan Austins goals and we would have been bottom half. Strange appointment from QOS but I wish Gary all the best and I hope it works out for him.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends how you queens fans like your football,for me Naysmiths tactics way to negative ,one lone striker with 3 holding midfield players is not how the beautiful game should be played. I would have thought the job Darren Young has done at Albion Rovers would have put him in front of Naysmiths for a full time job.Gary doe s speak very well so I can imagine him impressing in an interview. Wish him all the best as he did a lot of hard work for East Fife.

8 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

It all depends how you queens fans like your football,for me Naysmiths tactics way to negative ,one lone striker with 3 holding midfield players is not how the beautiful game should be played. I would have thought the job Darren Young has done at Albion Rovers would have put him in front of Naysmiths for a full time job.Gary doe s speak very well so I can imagine him impressing in an interview. Wish him all the best as he did a lot of hard work for East Fife.

Oh we love that kind of football.

He'll struggle to play with a lone striker and 3 holding midfielders with the squad hes inherited. That would also mean dropping Dobbie, or playing him as a lone striker

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Jim Duffy was a joke figure with the Morton fans until he started winning a few games this season. They'll dislike him again soon enough.

Criticising a manager when getting bad results and praising him when getting good results?

What a curious phenomenon.

As we all know in football to stay in the managerial game long term getting results is the no 1 criteria.

After that you can assess - is the quality of football enjoyable to watch, is the club developing young players etc etc.

Posters tell us repeatedly that QOS are essentially a mid table Championship club (a fair assessment) - by the same token I would say East Fife are a mid table Div 1 side. I look at the table and see them in 9th place only 4 points above a very poor Stenny side. Their fans are suggesting that the tactics involve 3 holding midfielders and a lone striker. I am not getting great vibes here but time will tell. It may be that Naysmith will do better when working with a full time set up and better players. To be fair this BOD have made some decent managerial appointments - AJ, Jim McIntyre, James Fowler did well too, and Gavin Skelton was shaping well. For a variety of reasons we never seem to get much continuity. I can only assume that Naysmith has interviewed very well because the managerial hard facts at East Fife are not very inspiring.

Needless to say we wish him well because he could not be coming in at a tougher time.

11 hours ago, Mr X said:

This is just semantics though. Supersouth said "brought forward", presumably because the BBC are still showing it as Wednesday - thats not an unreasonable assumption to have made.

The game might well have been scheduled for the Tuesday, for all we know.  Maybe they thought they could play on Saturday and it was actually put back.

Either way, there was obviously some confusion about when the tie was to be played, otherwise East Fife wouldnt have announced a "change of date". Whether it was actually scheduled or just advertised isnt really important.

It wasn't brought forward. It was scheduled for Monday and is being played on Monday. If East Fife were confused about the rules and advertised the wrong date, that doesn't mean when they changed the advertised date to the correct one that the game had been moved. 

11 hours ago, Tam said:

I think that's pretty disrespectful to the Queens players tbh. After Queens equalised, Rovers did nothing in our half of the pitch. When the guy got sent off, they did not change their mindset. Our guys were busting a gut to win the game. Rovers made one break at the end and got very lucky.

Were you at the game?

I'll start being respectful when they deserve it. The defending for the second goal was pathetic. There was no luck involved. And I wasn't at the game. I didn't need to be there to see the way they conceded the second goal. Nor did I need to be there to know that a team not interested in winning a game wouldn't have tried to win it at the end. They may have been defending most of the time. But that doesn't mean they weren't interested in winning otherwise they would have played out the remaining seconds for a draw instead of trying to score the winner.

Pity our players didn't bust a gut trying to prevent the goals they conceded and we might have won. 

Ray McKinnon was doing a relatively average job at Brechin when he got the job with us. He was only here a year and turned us from permanent lower half dross to our highest points tally at this level since 1995. And now he's at Dundee United.

Ian Murray did a stellar job with Dumbarton but was sacked within a couple of months at St Mirren. Stevie Aitken did a very good job at Stranraer but is failing with Dumbarton. 

Point is, I think you can read too much into a manager's achievements. Sometimes it just works for someone at a certain club, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't always make them an amazing/awful manager. Naysmith to me looks like a solid appointment, be interesting to see how he gets on - always assumed we'd end up with him eventually, to be honest.

Ray McKinnon was doing a relatively average job at Brechin when he got the job with us. He was only here a year and turned us from permanent lower half dross to our highest points tally at this level since 1995. And now he's at Dundee United.

Ian Murray did a stellar job with Dumbarton but was sacked within a couple of months at St Mirren. Stevie Aitken did a very good job at Stranraer but is failing with Dumbarton. 

Point is, I think you can read too much into a manager's achievements. Sometimes it just works for someone at a certain club, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't always make them an amazing/awful manager. Naysmith to me looks like a solid appointment, be interesting to see how he gets on - always assumed we'd end up with him eventually, to be honest.

Exactly this.

It's a better appointment than some of the names mentioned and should be good enough to keep the fans happy for now.

To be fair to the board they seem to have realised that JT near the first team doesn't work. Anyway, I like JT and it hasn't been nice watching him struggle in the dugout.

I think it's fair to say that Naysmith and Anderson won't tolerate interference.

There are far "worse situations in which he could be taking over." We are still in a mid-table position. I think if Skelton had carried on he would've been able to stabilise the club's free fall and at least continue in mid-table. This is the least I would expect from Naysmith. If we have better luck with injuries and/or good recruitment in January we could challenge for the playoffs IMO.

Naysmith is a really uninspiring meh appointment. A poorish record at East Fife (win percentage only 38%) and part of the usual Scottish football merry go round. I'd liked to have seen someone appointed who was a good coach that might have been a bit different and added value to the club in the medium term. 

Same old same old, from a Board who are totally 'old school football establishment.' 

I don't see how anyone can say that Naysmith is encouraging. Meh is the best you can say. By all means, disregard his record at East Fife if you want to - it is true, as one poster has said, that sometimes it works at one club and not at another, and vice versa. However, if we disregard his three years at East Fife, then we have absolutely naff all else to go on. That is his only experience, so how can the appointment be encouraging?

He did good things as a player, but that doesn't automatically convert to management credentials.

This appointment is on a scale from shite to meh, depending on your level of 'givehimachanceism'.

Anyway, good luck to the guy, a swift turnaround and play-offs are possible.

I have to say, Im quite impressed with what Naysmith has to say in the interview on the OS

Agree with that, he talks very well. Although most managers do these days, our last 4 managers have all come across as articulate and reasonable guys.

Hopefully he can do the business for us.

4 hours ago, Paco said:

Some managers seem to be better suited to coaching part time players but get found out at full time when they have to work with players that have a higher tactical knowledge and expectations of training and vice versa from full time to part time when coaches come in and try to do too much with a less talented group in a shorter space of time put across radical ideas. Dick Campbell would be a dreadful appointment even if his CV at League 1/2 is stellar.

Also looking on twitter apparently his Assistant Dougie Anderson is held in pretty high regard for his coaching at Cowdebeath and Hibs beforehand and being fairly modern thinking in terms of fitness and analysis. Interesting to see how it turns out.

I would say that you have gained a good young manager in Gary Naysmith. He is thoughtful, analytical and articulate and also an excellent man-manager. He has also got a good range of contacts within the game.

East Fife supporters are not known for being overly tolerant but I would say that, despite our recent poor run of form, something like 95 % were still behind him. He won the league on a fairly tight budget last season by opting for quality over the size of the squad. This was a bit of a gamble in my opinion, which paid off largely because of our excellent disciplinary record. The stuff about us only doing this because of one player is absolute nonsense. Jonathan Page, Scott Mercer, Jason Kerr, Kevin Smith, Kyle Wilkie and the Gaffer himself were all instrumental as well as players such as Ross Brown and Pat Slattery who got little credit from some quarters.

This season he went for a small squad again but it didn't work in his favour with key signing Chris Duggan a long term injury and it has been no co-incidence that our recent poor run has been after midfield playmaker Scott Robinson was also sidelined. Give Gary time to adjust and I'm certain he will prove a good appointment. He will certainly be a hard act to follow at Bayview...     

I would say that you have gained a good young manager in Gary Naysmith. He is thoughtful, analytical and articulate and also an excellent man-manager. He has also got a good range of contacts within the game.

East Fife supporters are not known for being overly tolerant but I would say that, despite our recent poor run of form, something like 95 % were still behind him. He won the league on a fairly tight budget last season by opting for quality over the size of the squad. This was a bit of a gamble in my opinion, which paid off largely because of our excellent disciplinary record. The stuff about us only doing this because of one player is absolute nonsense. Jonathan Page, Scott Mercer, Jason Kerr, Kevin Smith, Kyle Wilkie and the Gaffer himself were all instrumental as well as players such as Ross Brown and Pat Slattery who got little credit from some quarters.

This season he went for a small squad again but it didn't work in his favour with key signing Chris Duggan a long term injury and it has been no co-incidence that our recent poor run has been after midfield playmaker Scott Robinson was also sidelined. Give Gary time to adjust and I'm certain he will prove a good appointment. He will certainly be a hard act to follow at Bayview...     

95% still behind him? I've yet to speak to an East Fife supporter who is disappointed he's left. Zero wins in 8 and sitting 9th in the league says it all. No doubt about it, Gary is a great guy and comes across really well in interviews but performances and tactics have been unacceptable this season. Each to there own

12 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

95% still behind him? I've yet to speak to an East Fife supporter who is disappointed he's left. Zero wins in 8 and sitting 9th in the league says it all. No doubt about it, Gary is a great guy and comes across really well in interviews but performances and tactics have been unacceptable this season. Each to there own

Complete and utter garbage.

Archived