Better Options at Centre Back?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Me neither. He'll almost certainly get a cap at some point. Hopefully not just a Darren Barr style cap but the first of many.

There's no guarantees he'll make vast improvements on where he is at the moment but a lot of the raw materials are there and he's at a decent place for this stage in his career.

48 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Should also add Jordan mcghee and Harry souttar.   Mcghee and the two souttars will be our 3 first choices cbs.   Also really need to be on the phone to caulker twice a week till he says yes.

It makes you realise how bad our centre backs are right now that so many of us are pushing Caulker, who is talented but no world beater and a bit of a long shot too.

Updated centre backs list

Just added everyone's players to a list. Feel free to use this list, added Boyle Davey etc from Craig and the rest from others have posted
English Premiership
Middlesborough (U23’s?) Jordan McGhee 
Stoke (U23’s?) Harry Souttar
West Bromwich Darren Fletcher (if he can play there and wants to?)
SPFL
Aberdeen Mark Reynolds, Andy Considine
Rangers Danny Wilson
Hearts John Souttar
St Johnstone Steven Anderson
Inverness CT Brad McKay
Kilmarnock Scott Boyd Will Boyle
Partick Thistle Liam Lindsay
Hamilton Accies Michael Devlin
Motherwell Stephen McManus, 
Ross County Paul Quinn, Jay McEveley
Championship
Dundee Utd Mark Durnan
Falkirk Peter Grant
Hibernian Paul Hanlon Darren McGregor
English Championship
Blackburn Gordon Greer, Charlie Mulgrew
Burton Kyle McFadzean 
Ipswich Christophe Berra
Leeds Liam Cooper
Newcastle Grant Hanley Stuart Findlay (U23 side?)
Norwich Russell Martin
QPR Steven Caulker (if he wants to play?)
Rotherham Kirk Broadfoot (injured)
Reading Zak Jules Dom Hyam
League 1 
MK Dons Jack Hendry
Northampton Zander Diamond
Oldham Cameron Burgess
Scunthorpe United Murray Wallace
League 2
Blackpool Clark Robertson
Crawley Alex Davey (on loan from Chelsea)
Luton Scott Cuthbert 
Mansfield Alex Iacovitti (on loan from Forest)

• 2 months later...

John Souttar injury today vs Celtic - snapped achilles apparently.

We have absolutely nae f'ing luck. I know he's hardly our current first choice CB, but he is/was a prospect. This kind of injury means a long time out and can easily change or ruin a player's career.

On 17/11/2016 at 19:18, mcfadden78 said:

Just added everyone's players to a list. Feel free to use this list, added Boyle Davey etc from Craig and the rest from others have posted
English Premiership
SPFL
Aberdeen Mark Reynolds, Andy Considine
Rangers Danny Wilson
Hearts John Souttar
St Johnstone Steven Anderson
Inverness CT Brad McKay
Kilmarnock Scott Boyd Will Boyle
Partick Thistle Liam Lindsay
Hamilton Accies Michael Devlin
Motherwell Stephen McManus, 
Ross County Paul Quinn, Jay McEveley
Championship
Dundee Utd Mark Durnan
Falkirk Peter Grant
Hibernian Paul Hanlon Darren McGregor
English Championship
Blackburn Gordon Greer, Charlie Mulgrew
Burton Kyle McFadzean 
Ipswich Christophe Berra
Leeds Liam Cooper
Newcastle Grant Hanley Stuart Findlay (U23 side?)
Norwich Russell Martin
QPR Steven Caulker (if he wants to play?)
Rotherham Kirk Broadfoot (injured)
Reading Zak Jules Dom Hyam
League 1 
MK Dons Jack Hendry
Northampton Zander Diamond
Oldham Cameron Burgess
Scunthorpe United Murray Wallace
League 2
Blackpool Clark Robertson
Crawley Alex Davey (on loan from Chelsea)
Luton Scott Cuthbert 
Mansfield Alex Iacovitti (on loan from Forest)

That's it seriously......We're fucked

English Premiership

That is about the most tragic clutching of straws I've ever seen

We are fucked aye

John Souttar injury today vs Celtic - snapped achilles apparently.
We have absolutely nae f'ing luck. I know he's hardly our current first choice CB, but he is/was a prospect. This kind of injury means a long time out and can easily change or ruin a player's career.

Having watched him twice in the last few days against us if that is who we are relying on coming through for Scotland at CB we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

There's no guarantees he'll make vast improvements on where he is at the moment but a lot of the raw materials are there and he's at a decent place for this stage in his career.

Comments like this annoy me, he's not far off 21 and has over 100 senior games at club level, yet he still regularly loses men at set pieces, gets caught up the park and over plays with the ball whilst the last man.

Folk still speak like he's a 17yo rookie.

For reference he's almost a year and a half older, with over double the amount of games, than Oliver Burke.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Comments like this annoy me, he's not far off 21 and has over 100 senior games at club level, yet he still regularly loses men at set pieces, gets caught up the park and over plays with the ball whilst the last man.

For reference he's almost a year and a half older, with over double the amount of games, than Oliver Burke.

None of what I said there is wrong. Players progress at different speeds. Souttar is still a young player and Burke is a long way from the finished article too.

Centre halves generally don't develop fully until they are much older than forwards though

Burke probably makes the same amount of mistakes at the same age but they aren't as noticeable because of his position plus he can make up for it in other ways.

None of what I said there is wrong. Players progress at different speeds. Souttar is still a young player and Burke is a long way from the finished article too.

Centre halves generally don't develop fully until they are much older than forwards though

Burke probably makes the same amount of mistakes at the same age but they aren't as noticeable because of his position plus he can make up for it in other ways.

Absolute pish. He's got five seasons of top flight football, and over 100 games, and is still making basic errors.

You've just described John Stones, and he went for 40 mill and still making the same mistakes.

18 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Berra's no better than Hanley. There's a reason he went from being our first choice CB to absolutely nowhere for the last 5 years.

I don't think Hanley is in our top 5 CB's.   I'd have Berra, Martin, Mulgrew and Greer ahead of him.   

Archived