Better Options at Centre Back?

Cant remember a time Scotland were hard up for decent centre backs... I don't think there is anyone out there, only person I can think of is Danny Wilson...Once the best technical defender in Scotland, went to Liverpool and festered from there, improving now tho!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/01/2017 at 21:39, Gordopolis said:

Berra's no better than Hanley. There's a reason he went from being our first choice CB to absolutely nowhere for the last 5 years.

Would say Berra is better than a non match fit Hanley. Should he start getting games again then it's not a contest. 

11 hours ago, Andi said:

Cant remember a time Scotland were hard up for decent centre backs... I don't think there is anyone out there, only person I can think of is Danny Wilson...Once the best technical defender in Scotland, went to Liverpool and festered from there, improving now tho!

You're taking the piss.

• 2 weeks later...

We've conceded three goals since Christmas and have 7 clean sheets in our last 9. He's scored 6 goals in the league too. 21 with over 50 appearances in the top flight now. He's improved dramatically since the start of last season and a lot of our fans believe he'll leave us for our highest transfer fee received. Remains to be seen, but he's got the makings of being a very very good player.

If - and it's a huuuuuge if - we make it past Aberdeen on Sunday, and it isn't combined with a dreadful performance, I fail to see what excuse there is for not calling up Liam Lindsay even just to see how he fits in, same mould as some of the other younger players he's previously called up.  If he was a midfielder, fair enough, we're not struggling there.  But it's the position we really need players for.  He's 20, and is surely destined for something more than Firhill.  Get him tried out.

If - and it's a huuuuuge if - we make it past Aberdeen on Sunday, and it isn't combined with a dreadful performance, I fail to see what excuse there is for not calling up Liam Lindsay even just to see how he fits in, same mould as some of the other younger players he's previously called up.  If he was a midfielder, fair enough, we're not struggling there.  But it's the position we really need players for.  He's 20, and is surely destined for something more than Firhill.  Get him tried out.

Don't think the Aberdeen result should be a deciding factor personally. Win or lose he's still a prospect. Get him called up and give him a run out vs Canada

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Don't think the Aberdeen result should be a deciding factor personally. Win or lose he's still a prospect. Get him called up and give him a run out vs Canada

Yeah, but with simplistic thinking, he'd then be turning down a player who's playing well for a cup semi-finalist, rather than just a diddy who's been put out by a bigger side.

I'd have him called up regardless.

On 1/31/2017 at 23:32, Andi said:

Wilson is an absolute soft touch. Don't think you often see centre halves as unimposing as him.

Unimposing, slow and shite.  That sums up everyone.

If Souttar is the next great hope of Scottish defenders, then Scottish defenders are in a bad way.

Let's be honest, Souttar (when fit), Lindsay and Wilson should, by rights, not be even in the equation for call ups.  We need to be using the grandparent rule to bring in someone, because those guys aren't going to cut the mustard.

Archived