Old Scottish League Grounds still in use?

Roker Rover

I stand to be corrected, however Berwick Rangers used to play at Old Shielfield and also the Pier Field. Football is still played at both. Though I don't think Berwick were a league club at the time they played at those places.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

FFS.

Comprehensive list available here. Those surviving are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Football_League_stadiums

Whitestone Park - Peebles Rovers

Volunteer Park - Armadale Thistle

Dunterlie Park - Arthurlie

Bellsdale Park - Beith

Newtown Park - Bo'ness Utd

Millburn Park - Vale of Leven

Cathkin Park, Glasgow - various Glasgow amateurs

Parkside, Shotts - various Lanarkshire youths

Cowdenbeath's old North End Park was in use by amateur sides until last year. It got bought by Tesco who have now sold it on after their cutbacks on building new stores. The park is still there but lying empty.

Never read the 2nd page before posting!

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

North End Park in Cowdenbeath still has football played on it I'm sure? There was going to be a Tesco built there but when they pulled out it still retained the pitch markings? 

See answer above! Its been basically left to rot grass looked a couple of feet high in the summer.

6 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

I stand to be corrected, however Berwick Rangers used to play at Old Shielfield and also the Pier Field. Football is still played at both. Though I don't think Berwick were a league club at the time they played at those places.

Sure they just played in the C Division at Old Shielfield, which of course was still SFL football. There was a story about our 1948 cup tie there in the Cowden v Berwick programme from this season.

17 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

So it is !! Well it can be an answer again next year.

Depends how strict you want to be about defining a ground.

St Bernards playes at the Meadows but its pretty much a municipal park.

The meadows also played host to the first Edinburgh derby between Hearts and Hibernian on the 25th December 1875. There is a board near to where the old jawbone arch stood. There is always cricket, football etc going on in the meadows.

Now this is the sort of knowledge I was hoping to tap into.

Great call that.

Pretty sure when Scotland played in the one day cup in cricket they used this ground and my team Durham played there a few times. 

Nope.
Scotland have only played Durham at Lochside Park in Forfar, Raeburn Place in Edinburgh (few times), Titwood in Glasgow and Bothwell Castle Policies in Uddingston.

Been a long time since Scotland played a match at Hamilton Crescent as far as I know.

43 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Had a rake around Wiki so take this with a pinch of salt. It appears the stand was in place at Whitestone Park before Peebles got into the League in 1923 so the pitch could not have moved.

Indeed. It was erected when they joined the SFA and the Scottish Union - a nationwide league - for 1909-10. Incidentally they won it the next season.

Slight aside to this, are there any grounds in Scotland which now sit derelict and aren't used for anything? I know Firs Park was just left and remember a YouTube video of it but is it still just an abandoned ground to this day?

Just thinking as I believe there's a few grounds like that in England.

3 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Slight aside to this, are there any grounds in Scotland which now sit derelict and aren't used for anything? I know Firs Park was just left and remember a YouTube video of it but is it still just an abandoned ground to this day?

Just thinking as I believe there's a few grounds like that in England.

http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/Lost/lost.htm

A couple in here.

East End Park in Dundee, home of now defunct Juniotr club, Stobswell and ground shared at different times by another 2 defunct clubs, Osborne and Elmwood is still there. Don't know is it's still used though.

East End Park in Dundee, home of now defunct Juniotr club, Stobswell and ground shared at different times by another 2 defunct clubs, Osborne and Elmwood is still there. Don't know is it's still used though.

If it's just off Mains Loan, then the pitch is still lined (thanks, Google Maps).

Had a rake around Wiki so take this with a pinch of salt. It appears the stand was in place at Whitestone Park before Peebles got into the League in 1923 so the pitch could not have moved.

Again, another pitch that is used for cricket. Spent many an hour chasing (and hitting!) balls into the shadow of that stand.

FFS.

Comprehensive list available here. Those surviving are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Football_League_stadiums

Whitestone Park - Peebles Rovers

Volunteer Park - Armadale Thistle

Dunterlie Park - Arthurlie

Bellsdale Park - Beith

Newtown Park - Bo'ness Utd

Millburn Park - Vale of Leven

Cathkin Park, Glasgow - various Glasgow amateurs

Parkside, Shotts - various Lanarkshire youths

Surprised the lack of info on here about City Park. Went to see Spartans play Cowdenbeath in a Scottish cup tie in late 80s there. Ground was under 2" snow, but they still played. Finished 0-0 I think. Cowdenbeath win replay 2-0, which was my first time at Central Park.

City park, as was, is now houses, but behind it is now the Spartans football academy.

Archived