Old Scottish League Grounds still in use?

Roker Rover

If it's just off Mains Loan, then the pitch is still lined (thanks, Google Maps).

Thanks for that but it's on Old Craigie Road near the Kingsway East/Pitkerro Road circle and up the road a bit from Craigie Park where East Craigie play. Had a look on Google Maps and you can see outline of old lines but no goalposts which you can clearly see at Craigie Park.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/11/2016 at 00:05, HibeeJibee said:

Cathkin Park, Glasgow - various Glasgow amateurs

Parkside, Shotts - various Lanarkshire youths

Had a wander around Cathkin a few times. Quite atmospheric on a drizzly day which is not hard to find in Glasgow :lol:

However is there any way of finding which teams use it as a home venue? Didn't have much luck searching safc, Glasgow amateur league etc as there's so many clubs.

Edit- dug a bit deeper. Third Lanark AC and AFC Hampden. Should have looked at West of Scotland instead of Glasgow...

15 hours ago, TrueDiamond said:

Surprised the lack of info on here about City Park. Went to see Spartans play Cowdenbeath in a Scottish cup tie in late 80s there. Ground was under 2" snow, but they still played. Finished 0-0 I think. Cowdenbeath win replay 2-0, which was my first time at Central Park.

City park, as was, is now houses, but behind it is now the Spartans football academy.

It was 1991 TD and in midweek after the Saturday game had been postponed. I missed the game going to work in heavy snow and was surprised to find out the game had been played! Just assumed that it would be off and didn't put in for a holiday.

It was just after Gordon McDougall had bought over Cowden and he and our groundstaff went over to help clear the lines so the game could go ahead. There was a cracking colour phote on the back page of the Evening News the next day of the ground taken from up the top of the banking, we had a copy of it in the old board room which was sadly lost in the fire the next year!

It was 1991 TD and in midweek after the Saturday game had been postponed. I missed the game going to work in heavy snow and was surprised to find out the game had been played! Just assumed that it would be off and didn't put in for a holiday.

It was just after Gordon McDougall had bought over Cowden and he and our groundstaff went over to help clear the lines so the game could go ahead. There was a cracking colour phote on the back page of the Evening News the next day of the ground taken from up the top of the banking, we had a copy of it in the old board room which was sadly lost in the fire the next year!

Yep. I took the afternoon off work as my mate was in goals for Spartans. It was really snowy. About 2-3" lying if I remember correctly. The lines were cleared and game on! Not much of a game though, but Frank kept a clean sheet, so he was happy.

Seem to remember the replay at Central Park was played on top of a very frozen pitch.

Proper football, not this mamby pamby stuff those under 30 think football should be[emoji3]

On 14/11/2016 at 00:24, invergowrie arab said:

As a supplementary how many are still used but now used as league grounds but by different league clubs to the origina l?

Meadowbank - Meadowbank Thistle and Edinburgh City

Tannadice/Clepington - Dundee Wanderers and Dundee United

Ibrox - Rangers and Rangers

I cant be bothered working out the Airdrie permutations.

New Broomfield - Airdrieonians (liquidated in 2002) and then Clydebank (bought by Ballantyne who renamed it Airdrie United in 2002 and renamed Airdrieonians in 2013). Thankfully, the Airdrie option was not available to Sevco. 

Raydale - Gretna (liquidated) and now Gretna 2008 in the Lowland League.

Now this is the sort of knowledge I was hoping to tap into.

Great call that.

Pretty sure when Scotland played in the one day cup in cricket they used this ground and my team Durham played there a few times. 

Here it is at this year's Scottish Cup final between Arbroath United and ClydesdaleIMG_1479246551.898213.thumb.jpg.5437927e

On 14/11/2016 at 21:44, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Slight aside to this, are there any grounds in Scotland which now sit derelict and aren't used for anything? I know Firs Park was just left and remember a YouTube video of it but is it still just an abandoned ground to this day?

Just thinking as I believe there's a few grounds like that in England.

Meadow Park, Gloucester, was devastated by flooding. Gloucester City have been ground-sharing with several teams for almost a decade.

_75349589__44018243_gc416.jpg

Planning permission was recently granted for a new 4,000 capacity stadium at Meadow Park.

ETA - Derelect English grounds

Boothferry Park, Hull

Belle Vue, Doncaster

Layer Road, Colchester.

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Meadow Park, Gloucester, was devastated by flooding. Gloucester City have been ground-sharing with several teams for almost a decade.

Planning permission was recently granted for a new 4,000 capacity stadium at Meadow Park.

We would have played on that in my day.

10 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Did Paul Mariner play there?

1 hour ago, TrueDiamond said:

Yep. I took the afternoon off work as my mate was in goals for Spartans. It was really snowy. About 2-3" lying if I remember correctly. The lines were cleared and game on! Not much of a game though, but Frank kept a clean sheet, so he was happy.

Seem to remember the replay at Central Park was played on top of a very frozen pitch.

Proper football, not this mamby pamby stuff those under 30 think football should beemoji3.png

The Spartans goalie ended up playing  a few games as a trialist for us,

Thanks for that but it's on Old Craigie Road near the Kingsway East/Pitkerro Road circle and up the road a bit from Craigie Park where East Craigie play. Had a look on Google Maps and you can see outline of old lines but no goalposts which you can clearly see at Craigie Park.

I lived in the area for a year, many moons ago. About 5 mins walk from that ground I had spotted from the air.

• 2 years later...
On 14/11/2016 at 21:44, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Slight aside to this, are there any grounds in Scotland which now sit derelict and aren't used for anything? I know Firs Park was just left and remember a YouTube video of it but is it still just an abandoned ground to this day?

Just thinking as I believe there's a few grounds like that in England.

I know this thread is a bit old, but reading the above post prompted me to drive to Firs Park to see what remains today.  

A few pix here:  https://ian38018.blogspot.com/2011/05/10-th-april-1999-east-stirlingshire-3-3.html

Archived