Referee Assessors.

Mr.Albert

I understand the concept of the referee assessors and I understand why they are needed.

But should the referees be told as they are now when they are going to be assessed because this changes their attitude towards the game and how they are going to referee the game.

Our referee on Saturday Robert Thompson came into the dressing room before the game and told the players that he was being assessed today and " he will be refereeing differently today" and he put in one of the worst performances I have seen by a referee, he booked 11 players and sent two Albert players off in a game were the physio was not on the park there wasn't one bad tackle it was a good hard honest game of football the decisions for both teams baffled everyone who was there,   and he cost the Albert three points as the two sendings off for a second yellow card in the last 5 minutes of the game swung the game in East Kilbride favour.

Both managers and committee agreed on his performance and to be fair to East Kilbride agreed that his decisions cost the Albert the points.

The assessor was in the dressing room with the referee for over half an hour after the game.

I know refereeing games is not easy especially without linesman, and we cant play the game without them, but my question is why do the referee need to know when they are being assessed, because when they do they change their attitude towards the players and also the committees as well, as this is not the first time I have witnessed it.

Surely if they come to the game unannounced then they will see the referee at his usual level of performance.

Also would it not be possible to see the assessors report so the clubs could give an opinion, I know that teams if like us felt hard done by on the Saturday would like to ask questions of the referee,  but also we could praise the referee also as there are good referees out there.

The standard of referees is slipping in the second division we get the new wet behind the ears referees, the arrogant ones who you cant talk to or who talk to the players as if they are the game,  or  are never going to or don't want to move up the grades for referees.

The new referees never come in for a cup of tea or anything after the game, I know sometimes they don't want abused after the game but most committees will not allow that, it will let them get to know the clubs and also let the clubs know them.

Any form of communication between clubs and the referee association is welcomed because as I said earlier we need the referees to play the game but we also need good referees to help us play the game.

I understand the concept of the referee assessors and I understand why they are needed.

But should the referees be told as they are now when they are going to be assessed because this changes their attitude towards the game and how they are going to referee the game.

Our referee on Saturday Robert Thompson came into the dressing room before the game and told the players that he was being assessed today and " he will be refereeing differently today" and he put in one of the worst performances I have seen by a referee, he booked 11 players and sent two Albert players off in a game were the physio was not on the park there wasn't one bad tackle it was a good hard honest game of football the decisions for both teams baffled everyone who was there,   and he cost the Albert three points as the two sendings off for a second yellow card in the last 5 minutes of the game swung the game in East Kilbride favour.

Both managers and committee agreed on his performance and to be fair to East Kilbride agreed that his decisions cost the Albert the points.

The assessor was in the dressing room with the referee for over half an hour after the game.

I know refereeing games is not easy especially without linesman, and we cant play the game without them, but my question is why do the referee need to know when they are being assessed, because when they do they change their attitude towards the players and also the committees as well, as this is not the first time I have witnessed it.

Surely if they come to the game unannounced then they will see the referee at his usual level of performance.

Also would it not be possible to see the assessors report so the clubs could give an opinion, I know that teams if like us felt hard done by on the Saturday would like to ask questions of the referee,  but also we could praise the referee also as there are good referees out there.

The standard of referees is slipping in the second division we get the new wet behind the ears referees, the arrogant ones who you cant talk to or who talk to the players as if they are the game,  or  are never going to or don't want to move up the grades for referees.

The new referees never come in for a cup of tea or anything after the game, I know sometimes they don't want abused after the game but most committees will not allow that, it will let them get to know the clubs and also let the clubs know them.

Any form of communication between clubs and the referee association is welcomed because as I said earlier we need the referees to play the game but we also need good referees to help us play the game.

This was similar to our referee a few weeks ago against Annbank. Both teams started well and it was a good game then he sent the wrong Annbank player off. Apparently the assessor went in to see him at half time and then in the 2nd half he sent god knows how many players Off

2 hours ago, ardeerultra said:

This was similar to our referee a few weeks ago against Annbank. Both teams started well and it was a good game then he sent the wrong Annbank player off. Apparently the assessor went in to see him at half time and then in the 2nd half he sent god knows how many players Off

We've had similar a few years ago, first half the game had flowed well with a few borderline challenges going unpunished, Dougie Hope then went in at half time and spoke to the officials and lo and behold, after the break cards were flying around like confetti. No wonder players get confused. On Saturday Willie Young was at our match, don't think he would have been that fussed by the refs performance on what little I saw, but he might have had a few comments for one of the assistants.

Why would the clubs be asked to give an opinion on an assessors report on a referee? Are referees likely to be asked to give an opinion on players performances who can`t pass to players on their own team or haven`t mastered the fundamentals of basic ball control? If clubs want to be pro-active in relation to refereeing then start by holding workshops for their players and staff on the laws of the game. After they have a solid understanding of the laws of the game then they can start to work on their own players/staff discipline and then things like dissent, violent conduct, running 30/40 yards to get involved in situations that have nothing to do with them, surrounding referees when decisions go against them etc etc all the instances of these things that occur during a game will be reduced and likewise the number of bookings/sendings off that are accumulated as a result of these things........ 

45 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

Why would the clubs be asked to give an opinion on an assessors report on a referee? Are referees likely to be asked to give an opinion on players performances who can`t pass to players on their own team or haven`t mastered the fundamentals of basic ball control? If clubs want to be pro-active in relation to refereeing then start by holding workshops for their players and staff on the laws of the game. After they have a solid understanding of the laws of the game then they can start to work on their own players/staff discipline and then things like dissent, violent conduct, running 30/40 yards to get involved in situations that have nothing to do with them, surrounding referees when decisions go against them etc etc all the instances of these things that occur during a game will be reduced and likewise the number of bookings/sendings off that are accumulated as a result of these things........ 

I agree with what you say in some instances the players don't help themselves by surrounding referees and the fear of intimidation they might fear. 

But the initial question you did not answer about why should a referee be told when they are being assessed as they change their whole attitude to the game they are refereeing, this will not give a true account of the referees ability.

Some of the issues caused on the park are caused by inconsistency and lack of communication and arrogance shown by the referees towards the players and club officials.

The knowledge of the rules is a two way thing we have had referees who do not know about the changes in the laws in regards to when a player has treatment they do not have to leave the field if they have been fouled they still tell them to go off,  or the sending of a player who gave away a penalty and it was not a goal scoring opportunity.

This is not having a go at the referees its about helping to improve the referees which in turn will make the game better.

If a player has a bad game the manager will drop him, what happens if a referee has a bad game.

25 minutes ago, Mr.Albert said:

I agree with what you say in some instances the players don't help themselves by surrounding referees and the fear of intimidation they might fear. 

But the initial question you did not answer about why should a referee be told when they are being assessed as they change their whole attitude to the game they are refereeing, this will not give a true account of the referees ability.

Some of the issues caused on the park are caused by inconsistency and lack of communication and arrogance shown by the referees towards the players and club officials.

The knowledge of the rules is a two way thing we have had referees who do not know about the changes in the laws in regards to when a player has treatment they do not have to leave the field if they have been fouled they still tell them to go off,  or the sending of a player who gave away a penalty and it was not a goal scoring opportunity.

This is not having a go at the referees its about helping to improve the referees which in turn will make the game better.

If a player has a bad game the manager will drop him, what happens if a referee has a bad game.

If you are going to accuse refs of getting it wrong then at least get it right yourself. A player only stays on after receiving brief treatment if the player who fouled him was either cautioned or sent off for the challenge.

Fair shout.

Law 5 does say what you said, but on Saturday the exact thing happened to us with a player being cautioned for a foul and the referee still told him to go off the park and go to the half way line.

Only way ref can be correct here is if there was a blood or a risk of concussion.

Referees know when assessors are being sent to their game..

Our game was called off and whilst chatting to ref and discussing who to call he said he had to call the assessor as he was on his way to the ground.

So from my experience they do know that an assessor has been appointed to their match that day...

Not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing ?

16 hours ago, Mr.Albert said:

"inconsistency and lack of communication and arrogance shown by the referees towards the players and club officials" As opposed to personal abuse,aggression and vitriolic outbursts that would get you lifted in the street you mean. Seriously, if the clubs want respect for the players and their staff then start by giving the ref the same respect in the first instance. Don`t attempt to hold him to a standard that the players etc don`t even bother attempting to reach.

Easy to spot, Adidas jacket, notebook or dictaphone or binoculars usually stands or sits on there deckchair, the crowd can spot them before the referee, doesn't wear club scarf. Probably be ex senior referee who has nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon. Young referees are bricking it when they are there in case they make a career ending decision. Bring back the old style refs who dealt with players as men !

You really need to learn the changes to the rules yourself before coming on here and slating referees. As previously mentioned the player only doesn't need to leave the field after treatment if the opposition player has been cautioned.
You can also be sent off for giving away a penalty as 'last man' if the referee deems the challenge to be dangerous, as is the case in any other area of the field.
So maybe the referees do know the rules and it's the spectators and criticisers like yourself who need to brush up on your knowledge of the laws of the game!

After watching the game at Wishaw today it is time that an accessor looks at ref Lee Dixon who was man of the match in his own view. First of all he didn't know it was a 1.45 ko. He ruined what was a poor game by booking between 7-9 men in what wasn't a dirty game. Gave wrong decisions and tried to correct them by giving decisions the opposite way when wrong. Needs closely looked at and taken from junior list.

Archived