The second worst accent in Scotland?

15 hours ago, Slenderman said:

If someone spoke to me and used the word "ken", I'd assume they had an IQ of under 70.

Ken, Gan and such words - many from the Germanic/ Dutch lingo - proving that Scots over time (particularly in the east) picked stuff up from their hanseatic trading partners - and not just the "queen's English".

Perfectly valid words to throw into your dialect - and doesn't sound too pikey (unless you're from Glenrothes).

4 hours ago, jmothecat said:

'Ken' is used in every part of Scotland apart from Glasgow isn't it? Slightly ironic for Glaswegians to criticise how others speak.

There's a distinct faultline which seems to start fairly abruptly maybe 20-25 miles east of Glasgow - in Shotts for example it'll be "know", but in Fauldhouse which is just a few miles away you've entered the Ken Zone.

As regards Galloway Irish, it works both ways...if you go to some places on the north coast of Ni - Coleraine is a classic example - everybody sounds a bit Scottish.

Edited by Hillonearth

45 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Ken, Gan and such words - many from the Germanic/ Dutch lingo - proving that Scots over time (particularly in the east) picked stuff up from their hanseatic trading partners - and not just the "queen's English".

Perfectly valid words to throw into your dialect - and doesn't sound too pikey (unless you're from Glenrothes).

Good work. Other accents are neddy and uncouth but here on the east coast it's a sign of our cosmopolitan, international heritage. 

4 hours ago, WILLIEA said:
It's called Galloway Irish and they use ken a lot like!

Most of my family are from Stranraer and I don't think I can recall any of them using the word ken, whereas myself born and raised in Dumfries I tend to use it and hear it all the time.

Edited by MONKMAN

Correct - the only place in the North that I've heard 'ken' used is in Shetland, which has a distinct accent/dialect.  Even then it was used as 'know' in that my mum will say "I kent him", I don't recall people using it in the way that Edinburgh folk stick 'ken, eh' at the end of a sentence.

Most people would say "keen" instead of "ken" in Shetland ("I dunna keen" = "I don't know", "du keens" = "you know" etc). The Shetland dialect is almost a language of its own.

There's numerous things Glaswegians say all the time which I find quite irritating. 'By the way', 'so it is', 'but' at the end of any sentence, 'pure'. 

I personally never use ken but do say like and eh quite a bit. Glaswegians tend to get quite excited about this. 

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Most of my family are from Stranraer and I don't think I can recall any of them using the work ken, whereas myself born and raised in Dumfries I tend to use it and hear it all the time.

My brother in law is a strannie but he doesn't use any obvious accentual deviancies?