The second worst accent in Scotland?

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Most people would say "keen" instead of "ken" in Shetland ("I dunna keen" = "I don't know", "du keens" = "you know" etc). The Shetland dialect is almost a language of its own.

There's a boy I know from Shetland. When he types something, it's legible but he has some other Shetland pals who feel the need to type in the local dialect. It is like they've smashed their face off the keyboard.

9 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

There's a boy I know from Shetland. When he types something, it's legible but he has some other Shetland pals who feel the need to type in the local dialect. It is like they've smashed their face off the keyboard.

Anyone who types in an "accent" should have their reproductive organs removed with a rusty spoon.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

The Fife accent isn't that bad per se, but it sounds absolutely horrific on the women.

Eta: Although one of brothers who lives there finishes every sentence with 'eh'. That's not an exaggeration.

Applies to most Scottish accents on woman imo

16 minutes ago, Deen1903 said:

How you pronounce the letter J is a key distinguishing feature, like 'jay' or 'ji'. If the former, then normal. If the latter, then west coast oddball that any other English speaker in the world would find cretinous.

That's moot, though we all ken it's 'ji'.  How you pronounce "schedule" is much more a shibboleth.

19 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Most people would say "keen" instead of "ken" in Shetland ("I dunna keen" = "I don't know", "du keens" = "you know" etc). The Shetland dialect is almost a language of its own.

Rhymes more with Rhine than keen in terms of the vowel sound in my experience. Agree that when the oldtimers that grew up before TV are speaking amongst themselves it isn't mutually intelligble with what is left of Scots in mainland Scotland. You need to listen to broad Shetland for a few weeks and pick up the local vocabulary before it starts to make any sense.

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

It worries me to think that some advanced alien life may pic up some broadcast from this planet, such as Radio Clyde or River City. 

Emperor Zog would hit the "vaporise planet" button quicker than you could say "so it is".

If it was their football talk-ins he'd be too busy rolling about laughing at the shite they spout to press the button, even Zog knows The Rangers are a new club.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 13:39, Hillonearth said:

There's a distinct faultline which seems to start fairly abruptly maybe 20-25 miles east of Glasgow - in Shotts for example it'll be "know", but in Fauldhouse which is just a few miles away you've entered the Ken Zone.

As regards Galloway Irish, it works both ways...if you go to some places on the north coast of Ni - Coleraine is a classic example - everybody sounds a bit Scottish.

No they don't.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 16:48, Bold Rover said:

Lots of kenning in South Ayrshire, but more importantly: is this thread about accents or vocabulary?

Some contributors obviously think accents and vocabulary are synonyms.

24 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Not in terms of vocabulary perhaps. but the inflections are totally Scottish-influenced - sounds like a halfway house between West of Scotland and full on Baalfast.

No it doesn't