The second worst accent in Scotland?

15 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

No it doesn't

...because you need to get out into the countryside to get into genuine Ulster Scots territory? Think you maybe need to bear in mind that as an Aberdonian you are two major pronunciation/dialect shifts away from western central belt Scots (or what is left of it) that is usually claimed to be closest to Ulster Scots, so what's normal to you as Scots is not the way a Glaswegian would see it. Think isoglosses is the term used in linguistics for that. There's the ken line at Faulhouse and the Castlecary viaduct that has been discussed that abruptly separates the east and the west and then there's the wha/fa line that I think lies around Carnoustie and Forfar between east and northeast Scots.

52 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...because you need to get out into the countryside to get into genuine Ulster Scots territory? Think you maybe need to bear in mind that as an Aberdonian you are two major pronunciation/dialect shifts away from western central belt Scots (or what is left of it) that is usually claimed to be closest to Ulster Scots, so what's normal to you as Scots is not the way a Glaswegian would see it. Think isoglosses is the term used in linguistics for that. There's the ken line at Faulhouse and the Castlecary viaduct that has been discussed that abruptly separates the east and the west and then there's the wha/fa line that I think lies around Carnoustie and Forfar between east and northeast Scots.

Correct -  generally speaking heading north and east from Coleraine. The Coleraine accent isn't Scottish, to my ear, anyway. Although, dialect wise, some of the natives have a habit of sticking "but" at the end of a sentence. Particularly those from Killowen (Bertie Peacock territory).

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Correct -  generally speaking heading north and east from Coleraine. The Coleraine accent isn't Scottish, to my ear, anyway. Although, dialect wise, some of the natives have a habit of sticking "but" at the end of a sentence. Particularly those from Killowen (Bertie Peacock territory).

I was taught that you should never end a sentence with a preposition, but.

Scottish thing that always irritates me is when people say 'no' instead of 'not'. Should be 'nae'. Or 'not' not 'no'.

Or how instead of why.

I once got a slow clap from English colleagues when I used the word remember. Upon asking what they were on about, they pointed out that I always used 'mind' in its place.

Or how instead of why.

I once got a slow clap from English colleagues when I used the word remember. Upon asking what they were on about, they pointed out that I always used 'mind' in its place.

Two good ones. Bad for both. Thinking about it I don't think I actually ever say remember.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Or how instead of why.

The classic story of the weegie barber:

"How do you want your hair cut?" "Because it's too fucking long"

I already have my coat, thanks.

On 19 November 2016 at 00:32, The_Kincardine said:

That's moot, though we all ken it's 'ji'.  How you pronounce "schedule" is much more a shibboleth.

Schedule is only different if you're American  

3 hours ago, Günther said:

Ji every time with the odd exception. DJ would sound fuckin weird if you said Dee-Jai. 

Also things like Shite, not shit and Arse, not ass

Which is why it is "Jay"

18 hours ago, Günther said:

Ji every time with the odd exception. DJ would sound fuckin weird if you said Dee-Jai. 

The reason DJ is pronounced "Dee Jay" worldwide, is because the letter J is pronounced "Jay".

Unless of course you are a dribbling simpleton. If you're reading this thinking you say Ji and you aren't a dribbling simpleton, wipe the drool from your chin and learn to speak properly. 

Ji is the last remnant of the traditional Scots language pronunciations for the letters:

http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/spelling.asp

and for whatever reason wasn't ditched along with the rest when Scotland's education system conformed to English language norms. There is nothing defective or stupid about it. It used to be used like "outwith" as one of the markers of distinctiveness that was held up for Scottish Standard English.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

23 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The alphabet was traditionally taught as i, ji, k, l in schools in Scotland, so it used to be one of the minor Scotland England differences in standard English usage that people obsess over in identity terms. Recent decades it's now seen as more of a schemie thing

Must be an age thing.  Without doubt when we learned the alphabet 'j' rhymed with 'i'.