The second worst accent in Scotland?

On 02/08/2021 at 18:05, Hedgecutter said:

I like how Alex Scott retaliated by going on TV and listing pretty much every event that ended with an ing, really obviously pronouncing them as in'.   Was highlighted that Priti Patel has been dropping her g's during her speeches as well. 

We need a Scottish letter for double-t by the way, in the way that other countries like the Icelandics and Faroese have funky letters of their own.  For example, most of us don't pronounce the t's in butter, but be don't just say 'bur'.  There's a letter in there that can't be described in writing at present, and I think this is something that needs addressed pronto.

I wouldn't say the glottal stop is especially Scottish.  I'd associate it more with estuary english and think it's infected younger Scots. 

Speak properly, stop slouching and get your elbows off the table. 

Edited by coprolite
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233636666_The_changing_sociolinguistic_status_of_the_glottal_stop_in_northeast_Scottish_English

21 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I wouldn't say the glottal stop is especially Scottish.  I'd associate it more with estuary english and think it's infected younger Scots. 

Speak properly, stop slouching and get your elbows off the table. 

And... "... stop playing with your food... "

(  making roads in the mashed potato,  building dams in the mash to keep the gravy

from overwhelming the vegs.., etc )

52 minutes ago, coprolite said:

get your elbows off the table. 

A completely pointless issue, up there with religion in the list of outdated things which get passed down through the generations simply because people's parents told them to do so.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

A completely pointless issue, up there with religion in the list of outdated things which get passed down through the generations simply because people's parents told them to do so.

Just listening to Dara O'Briain deliver the same message half an hour ago, almost word for word.

Have you branched out to monitoring posters' YouTube habits?

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Disgusting. I bet you cut fish with a normal knife and eat soup off a dessert spoon. 

3 hours ago, beefybake said:

And... "... stop playing with your food... "

(  making roads in the mashed potato,  building dams in the mash to keep the gravy

from overwhelming the vegs.., etc )

I would still do that...

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I sometimes struggle to pick up what English folk are saying because of their soft R's on key words.  We can get ridiculed for rolling our R's, but at least we make them audible.

Care and Kerr in that English accent sound exactly the same.