Clyde vs Arbroath

Lichtie78

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I mind that game, 4 down at half time and away back on the double decker bus to watch the second half, pretty sure Montrose scored an absolutely ridiculous goal past Craig Wight???

Ross Gardner scored from his own half with the assistance of a very strong wind.

2nd Penalty - Never a penalty, either a free kick or by kick to Arbroath. Seen similar against us mind you but I'm more surprised the Arbroath players showed no argument against it.

The highlights don't show it very well but it was an obvious tug on Gormley's sleeve that pulled him down.
It was a definite penalty.

The first was a penalty I am afraid, another rash decision by Ricky Little to barge the guy in the back.

2nd penalty is a bit of a joke in all honesty, bit of a tangling together started by the Clyde player so either a free kick or a goal kick. That really killed the game.

The tackle for the red is a bit nasty, very strange to go in like that when you are 3 nil up, maybe a bit frustration at being a sub.

Good luck to Clyde in the next round, deserved winners, very impressed with Barry Ferguson's whistling, probably the loudest whistle ive heard in recent times.

I think it was timlichtie who said earlier on that our defence is generally good, but individual players are prone to moments of madness. Hit the nail on the head I think, with Ricky Little giving away a stupid penalty. Second is a decent free kick, and for the second penalty I really think it could go either way depending on how the referee looks at it. Definite red for Flynn, and I didn't see the Miller-Sukar incident so won't comment. Gormley's first is an absolutely fantastic strike, but his second was so preventable. Well done to Clyde, worthy winners, but it's very worrying that we've both gone into this game after disappointing results against teams who are lower down the table, and this is how we've reacted. Dick's comments about players looking not arsed on Saturday were applicable last night, so you have to question what Dick was doing to get the players fired up for it?Two very big games coming up, I hope we can get a reaction out of the team like Barry Ferguson did to his Clyde team last night.

3 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

I think it was timlichtie who said earlier on that our defence is generally good, but individual players are prone to moments of madness. Hit the nail on the head I think, with Ricky Little giving away a stupid penalty. Second is a decent free kick, and for the second penalty I really think it could go either way depending on how the referee looks at it. Definite red for Flynn, and I didn't see the Miller-Sukar incident so won't comment. Gormley's first is an absolutely fantastic strike, but his second was so predictable. Well done to Clyde, worthy winners, but it's very worrying that we've both gone into this game after disappointing results against teams who are lower down the table, and this is how we've reacted. Dick's comments about players looking not arsed on Saturday were applicable last night, so you have to question what Dick was doing to get the players fired up for it?Two very big games coming up, I hope we can get a reaction out of the team like Barry Ferguson did to his Clyde team last night.

Good post. What was pleasing for me as a Clyde fan last night, was the determination and belief so lacking on Saturday against Cowdenbeath. I have never seen a Barry Ferguson team lacking in effort, but sometimes lacking in channelled effort. Every player was determined to win their individual battle, and I suppose the whole night was summed up by Gibson's tremendous save at the death - refusing to lose out on a clean sheet bonus (if he even gets one).

Credit and criticism can be levelled at the Manager for the turnaround - but as David W points out previously the formation he set out last night is by far our most productive one. Stop worrying about the state of the pitch and the opposition, stick to THAT game plan, and we'll have a right good shot.

Ostensibly well-approached match: Linton's return was timely, our treatment of Bobby Linn was sensible and, vitally, Phil Johnston wasn't around to muck-in with that. Thank Christ. Now we have it proven: Bobby Linn, who we've faced-up against many times down the years, is not the uncontrollable super-nuisance some of our own would have us believe. You put a decent, experienced defender up against him and send another body over for security and there's no problem. Someone made a slight, when Johnston got injured, that I was happy about it. Look: I wish the guy the best of luck with his fitness. But if he was up-and-about, chances are the gaffer would've played him and - only our third - clean sheet* against senior opposition would not have been got. Even McNiff couldn't balls it up last night.

Fortunately for us, the visitors also set their stall out stupidly, with a back-line which was even worse than that which they brought to Broadwood last time; it was scrawny, small and slow. I know Ricky Little is the darling of some Arbroath fans; others, quite honestly, acknowledge that guys as wee as him are a liability against forwards with a bit of strength, height or even just pure bulk. Add the likes of Sukar into the mix and... Well. You make David Gormley look like a superstar!

Brilliantly taken goals, them all. We were obviously well up for it, too; itching to get Arbroath back for last time.

*While clean sheets are, over a season, few and far between even for the best teams in a league like this... We've only really had two so far: we lost McNiff to get one against Elgin, basically - a game in which PJ was at the back. At Edinburgh, PJ was further up the park - IIRC; I'll stand corrected - in what became a slog to keep 'City out, and last night PJ wasn't involved. It's almost as though... We do have the players to shut teams out altogether but we have, in the main, failed to assemble them in the right way. I hope last night will be a springboard to more clean sheets.

'Mon the bully.

Ricky Little is not wee and has been an outstanding player in this league for seasons. Team of the year what 4 times? QP captain and POTY how many times? Same for us. He most certainly doesn't struggle against big lumps like Gormley. Maybe he just had a bad game and Gormley had a good one no...?

As for Linn. Again it sounded like a poor game from him, doubling up on him isn't a solution it happens most weeks.

Ricky Little/Colin Hamilton and Jaseem Sukar are all 6 foot plus and definitely not slow. Gold is the only one you could classify as scrawny for a defender but even then he's a very fit guy. Just because they're not fat like Smith doesn't make them scrawny guys Paulo.. :lol:

I couldn't care less about his height, Rickie Little is a very good player at this level. Yes he seems to get frustrated at times and puts in the odd stupid challenge, but I would take him here in a shot no doubt about it. My opinion of course and as ever we see players differently. 

I couldn't care less about his height, Rickie Little is a very good player at this level. Yes he seems to get frustrated at times and puts in the odd stupid challenge, but I would take him here in a shot no doubt about it. My opinion of course and as ever we see players differently. 

He's fucking brilliant

Shite last night by the sound of it but trust me after watching him for the past 4 year you just can't describe him as slow small or scrawny he's a machine, prone to a heads gone which he's recently had and a few poor games which he's recently had but on the whole an absolute rock

Archived