Clyde vs Arbroath

Lichtie78

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two stonewall pens by Peaso (New taker?!) & Great free kick in off bar by Mr Reliable Scott McLaughlin had us on sort o easy street. Dont think arbroath done awful lot to be 3-0 down but same could be said for us up there last month,Thats fitba indeed espicially at our level and perhaps we were due slice o luck after unfair defeats at home to forfar or even sat past not forgetting our horrendous injury list..

2nd Half we looked fine letting them have most of ball without ever threating with only a word class save fae Gibson at 4-0 their main danger...

Finially David Gormley. Two strikes that were top drawer material. Ive watched him many times before us and he does have that in his locker. Its when he has too much time to think is his weakness but he deserved it for sheer work rate and effort - Again

Fair play to Clyde. Good performance in the second half with 10 men. Even better in the first half with 12. The 2 softest penalties ever. The free kick was also seriously dubious. That game was destroyed as a contest by bizarre refereeing. Even the red card was an over reaction. Total farce.

You can get me a drink in the Royal actually, out in Emmerdale on Saturday night for the 1st time in my life, not expecting much

Jesus f**k, going to watch your team get smashed away to the table toppers and then a night out in forfar ? Your a stickler for punishment

11 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Did you see is on Saturday?

Night and day from Saturday eh?

Most importantly, it was not through increased effort, but increased desire and belief.

My MOTM was Mcneill, but good to see Higgins playing well in a less advanced role. For me Gormley has been much improved since Arbroath game, and Like SSB says, he's one of those players who instinctively is better than when he has time to think, but he's starting to show his worth to more now he's playing with more confidence.

McNiff had his best game in a Clyde Jersey. Linton, Miller and McLaughlin controlled the midfield. Arbroath deservedly beat us by a handsome scoreline recently by wanting it more. Tonight we wanted it more from 1st whistle.

I thought the 2nd penalty was harsh, as I thought the sending off was - but if you look at the way we defended, with courage and discipline compared to Arbroath - the ref was put in needless positions to have to make decisions. Ill-discipline cost Arbroath dear tonight, and if they displayed more passion on the park, rather than venting their frustrations to nearly EVERY single decision, then they may not have been on the end of an - on paper - embarrassing scoreline.

PS - Thought Miller was lucky to stay on the park.

Amazing the swing from Saturday to tonight. An absolutely pulsating performance from Clyde; we absolutely pummelled them all over the pitch. Full credit to the players and management staff.

Of course, the early goal always helps. As I said earlier, I didn't see the foul as I was looking elsewhere but in fairness (and I know it makes no difference to Arbroath) we should've had lot of spot-kicks since our last one; I don't think we've had one in the league having got a couple in the League Cup. Second goal was a great free-kick from a player who most would've only had as third or fourth choice to take it. The third looked soft; maybe a foul by Gormley first, maybe a tug from an absolutely befuddled Hamilton who was given the runaround all game.

The second half we were comfortable at 3-0 and only a terrific save kept out Higgins' volley from the edge of the box. Got out of jail when Miller somehow only got booked for a headbutt, then ended up back in jail when Flynn got sent off for a tackle where I didn't think he made any contact at all with the Arbroath player, or indeed threatened to. However, the outstanding Gormley netted two absolute pearlers, whilst Arbroath spurned a couple of great chances in stoppage time (one awful finish, one superb save by Gibson).

Arbroath were dreadful. Summed up by their captain time-wasting in the second half at 3-0. I said that I thought Scott was atrocious for long periods in the game at Gayfield (even though he got a couple of tap-ins) and he managed to put in one of the most spoilt performances I've witnessed in years. Kader was even worse, as was Hamilton. In fact, only the goalkeeper can take any credit; couldn't really do much with any of the goals.

There were literally no negatives in the Clyde team today. It defies all my knowledge of football as to why Gibson is now such an efficient goalkeeper having been a bombscare for three quarters of last season. McNiff had a terrific game at left-back and showed why he was highly rated at Annan, whilst McNeil is the sort of player (like Linton) who you wish you had two or three of. Perry and Smith dominant, if under-worked, at centre half. Midfield shape changed to a diamond (I'm not sure why we ever moved away from it) and all four were over Arbroath like a rash. Higgins much better than the last couple of games; one lunging block in particular. Front two were dynamite; Gormley man of the match by an absolute mile. He was absolutely unplayable. If he played like that more than a couple of times a season, he'd be as feared at this level as Linn. I appreciate he was coming into a confident team, but Fergie did himself proud as well when he came on.

However, despite the great result, great goals and performance, the absolute best moment of the match was watching Dick Campbell appear from wherever he was hiding to start crying in the linesman's face. I was laughing for about five minutes. Then I see his post-match interview on the Arbroath twitter. What an absolutely embarrassing mess :lol: No wonder his team showed absolutely no discipline at all. Can't wait to stick five past the other two Campbells on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How was the interview embarassing?

He moaned about the decisions. But then praised Clyde. And then said he wasn't going to sit and defend a 5-0 defeat before saying his big Saturday's game is?

Baffling comment

Might be my hearing, but he mentioned Arbroath starting game well and dominating game in second half.

EMBARRASSING!

Archived