General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

48 minutes ago, Mordecai said:
19 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:
All resi games end up with areas of downtime, once you clear an area of zombies its clear (aside from the hunters in resi 1,again when they are killed the place is empty) 
With regards to doing an OW resi, i was thinking more like a tight constricted city, with an insane number of zombies (pretty much unable to kill them all ever due to ammo limitations) and to deal with the areas that are cleared, if you kill zombies in an area, the gunshots, explosions or whatever attract other zombies to the same area, but give the player options, going from A to B you have the choice of 3 or 4 routes, each with different positives and negatives not just in the present but in the future (say you take the main street, kill most zombies and dodge the rest, easy enough, but later that street is back teeming with even more enemies, however if you take the shortcut through say an apartment block, you face a tougher first run but its much less enemy populated later on due to it being a closed off area as such) 
I do get what you are saying about downtime boring people, i agree with that, but surely the devs could come up with various ways to stifle the boredom, were talking about a franchise that literally created all sorts of monsters, zombie dogs could constantly hunt you, hell stick a nemesis into open world, bet that aint boring at all emoji28.pngemoji28.png

Did they not kind of try a similar thing with The Evil Within 2? It was a lot more OW than the first one and you're in a city infested with zombies and other creatures for a fair chunk of the game. Obviously ammo is at a premium so you don't want to explore too much and are directed to certain points in the map to continue the story, but it's the closest I can think of an OW resident evil style game. Shinji Mikami is involved in both too.

Not sure, never played any of them, need to have a look

But given the consistent OW games weve seen, im surprised resi hasnt had a specific one, even if it was shite im just surprised capcom havent tried it to cash in

Completely forgot about Dead Rising in this discussion lol

And Dying Light which was pretty good!
This discussion made me consider getting Dying Light but couldn't find physical copies anywhere other than Ebay and the PSStore version is still £35. Hard pass.

All resi games end up with areas of downtime, once you clear an area of zombies its clear (aside from the hunters in resi 1,again when they are killed the place is empty) 
With regards to doing an OW resi, i was thinking more like a tight constricted city, with an insane number of zombies (pretty much unable to kill them all ever due to ammo limitations) and to deal with the areas that are cleared, if you kill zombies in an area, the gunshots, explosions or whatever attract other zombies to the same area, but give the player options, going from A to B you have the choice of 3 or 4 routes, each with different positives and negatives not just in the present but in the future (say you take the main street, kill most zombies and dodge the rest, easy enough, but later that street is back teeming with even more enemies, however if you take the shortcut through say an apartment block, you face a tougher first run but its much less enemy populated later on due to it being a closed off area as such) 
I do get what you are saying about downtime boring people, i agree with that, but surely the devs could come up with various ways to stifle the boredom, were talking about a franchise that literally created all sorts of monsters, zombie dogs could constantly hunt you, hell stick a nemesis into open world, bet that aint boring at all [emoji28][emoji28]
Reminds me, must dig out left 4 dead.
Not so much an open world but my god tearing up the levels with a group was fun

This discussion made me consider getting Dying Light but couldn't find physical copies anywhere other than Ebay and the PSStore version is still £35. Hard pass.

My disc copy stopped working for a couple of years but weirdly has let me install on Series X so maybe will get back to it!

I’ve never seen it go below 15 quid on sale though which is weird for Ubi games which take like 2 months to fall below 20 quid

On 02/02/2021 at 10:14, Stormzy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/jan/28/cheating-open-world-games-assassins-creed-hitman

Just read this and I'm so bemused by this guys reaction to the fact you can play Assasins Creed stealthy. He thinks he's exploiting when turning down the difficulty. 

Even the sub headline says it: a "guilty pleasure" to play games that have "flexible play" systems sneakily. What a grade A twat. 

Edited by madwullie

23 hours ago, accies1874 said:
On 03/02/2021 at 12:51, NotThePars said:
Completely forgot about Dead Rising in this discussion lol

And Dying Light which was pretty good!

PS Store version currently on sale for £10.79 if you're a PS+ subscriber.

On 22/12/2020 at 15:28, Miguel Sanchez said:

Posted it off yesterday and I'm going to send another email confirming I sent it. I get the feeling I may as well have dropped it into a portal to another dimension.

Final update! @Have some faith in Magic

About a month after I posted it, including a letter saying I wanted a replacement, I got an email saying I'd been given a refund. And despite me buying another game with it (which I've kept), they refunded £1-odd in Game reward points rather than actual money. What a service.

Is it worth going back and playing Metal Gear 4 and 5? I enjoyed everything up until the jungle in 3, played a bit of that half game "Ground Zeroes" which I didn't really get into and after that never fancied it. 

I’ve played some of them recently. The stories aren’t as good but the gameplay of V is great.

I think 5 gets ignored a wee bit because it's basically a testament to the breakdown between Kojima and Konami, I really, really enjoyed it.  I think the open world aspects really worked and refreshed the series massively.  The story could have been better, but I think that's the main issue with the split as it was just chucked out in a bit of an unfinished state.  

Although if you've tried Ground Zeroes and didn't like something specific, then that isn't going to change in 5.  Think of GZ as basically being a first-part demo, and ask yourself if you want more of that.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

On to Watch Dogs Legion now. Enjoyable so far. Everyone is hackable and the gadgets are pretty cool so far. Hopefully it doesn't fall into the OW/Ubisoft trap of becoming repetitive though.

I've played a fair whack of it, really enjoyed it.  I'm a sucker for real-life game worlds, and being able to go to places I've worked or visited is great fun.  They've done an absolutely cracking job on the world alone.

Gameplay though...it's mixed.  I enjoy it, but given the hours you're likely going to spend on it, it definitely gets repetitive.  It took a while, but when you're getting tasks sending you back to the same locations to do similar things, it's impossible not to notice.  I think the things you actually have to do are interesting enough, so it really comes down to whether you like the core gameplay loop.

Online coming out soon apparently, o if you've got pals you can do the game in co-op and there's other content.  Might extend things a little.