Most talented band

Mr Sugden

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Public Enemy. I mean I don't know exactly what it is Professor Griff does but he's probably the best in the world at it because no-one else is doing it. Excluding him then Terminator X, Chuck D and Flava Flav were all at the absolute peak of the game as well.

Could argue The Bomb Squad were the best producers at the turn of the 80s/90s given all the quality releases they worked on including PE. Never heard Chuck D mentioned anywhere near goat emcee status though. 

In terms of musical ability it has to be a jazz band. Miles Davis playing with John Coltrane and Bill Evans or Miles and Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams is difficult to beat. Miles talks a fair bit in his autobiography about how most rock musicians were considered to be 'no playing motherfuckers' by the standards of the jazz guys. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

In terms of musical ability it has to be a jazz band. Miles Davis playing with John Coltrane and Bill Evans or Miles and Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams is difficult to beat. Miles talks a fair bit in his autobiography about how most rock musicians were considered to be 'no playing motherfuckers' by the standards of the jazz guys. 

Miles' autobiography is a cracking read. Everybody is a motherfucker.

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

Jazz players always have great technique, but do they have better chops than the guys in Dream Theatre, for example? I wouldn't say so. 

8 hours ago, Detournement said:

It's only the Miles electric releases I like. 

Could argue The Bomb Squad were the best producers at the turn of the 80s/90s given all the quality releases they worked on including PE. Never heard Chuck D mentioned anywhere near goat emcee status though. 
Wu tang clan, every member had successful solo careers.
DJ muggs was also prolific and the man behind several hip hop groups

On 26/11/2016 at 17:20, Gaz said:

Radiohead.

Still this, but having gotten into them quite a bit over the past few months, I'd put a shout out for Rush as well.

But late 20th century Jazz generally wasn’t about bands. These are all hugely talented individuals who came together in lots of different temporary formations but without a real collective identity 

There are a few exceptions like Weather report or the Jazz messangers but generally speaking the advent of bop with it’s focus on individual virtuosity saw the end of “the band” in Jazz.

On the other hand Quintette du Hot Club de France was able to contain both Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappeli till world war 2 started

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But late 20th century Jazz generally wasn’t about bands. These are all hugely talented individuals who came together in lots of different temporary formations but without a real collective identity 

There are a few exceptions like Weather report or the Jazz messangers but generally speaking the advent of bop with it’s focus on individual virtuosity saw the end of “the band” in Jazz.

On the other hand Quintette du Hot Club de France was able to contain both Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappeli till world war 2 started

The two famous Miles Davis Quintets played together for years enough for them to have a recognised line up people can rhyme off. 

I listened to a few Dream Theatre tracks  there and it sounded like Iron Maiden minus the humour with added cheese.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The two famous Miles Davis Quintets played together for years enough for them to have a recognised line up people can rhyme off. 

I listened to a few Dream Theatre tracks  there and it sounded like Iron Maiden minus the humour with added cheese.

I'm not a particular fan of Dream Theatre, but they can play like f**k.

24 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I'm not a particular fan of Dream Theatre, but they can play like f**k.

Yep, same but can’t deny their ability. 

Same with the likes of Gloryhammer and their Tales From The Kingdom of Fife! (Can listen to them occasionally though)

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Yep, same but can’t deny their ability. 

Same with the likes of Gloryhammer and their Tales From The Kingdom of Fife! (Can listen to them occasionally though)

I think the Dream Theatre lads came out of Berkley College as a lot of jazz guys do. 

They also did a project called the Liquid Tension Experiment, which involved session bassist Tony Levin - one of the world's leading session players who's played with the likes of John Lennon, Yes, Peter Gabriel and King Crimson - Levin came out of the Eastman School of Music.

Levin said that he practiced all day every day for six months to prepare for the Liquid Tension gig - that is some level of musicianship right there. 

Levin started playing in the fields of classical and jazz, and played with Buddy Rich, but chooses to play rock music because he prefers it. 

Still one of my favourite quotes ever - when John Lennon was asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, he hit back with "He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles..."

You hear a lot of people slagging off Ringo’s drumming but you seldom hear drummers slagging off Ringo’s drumming.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

I suppose if Robert Fripp and Fank Zappa qualify for this thread then it wouldn't be fair to exclude the likes of Davis or Hancock

I retract my objection