Most talented band

Mr Sugden

Different bands for different periods for me. In the 60's most of the stuff I bought or listened to was from the Beatles, the Stones, Cream, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces, Fleetwood Mac, (with Peter Green) Fairport Convention (with Richard Thompson & Sandy Denny)

In the 70's, I went through an Eagles phase, but thanks to Fairport, got more into folk bands like Steeleye Span, The Albion Band, The Oyster Band, Planxty, Boys of the Lough, Tannahill Weavers, Silly Wizard, That continued into the 80's with Ossian and Shetland bands like Hom Bru.....Also listened to a lot of Richard Thompson stuff around this time - and still do!

Totally agree with Dave.J over the page on Jack Bruce - an incredibly talented musician/songwriter. His Songs From A Tailor album is, and always will be one of my all time favourites.

25 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Different bands for different periods for me. In the 60's most of the stuff I bought or listened to was from the Beatles, the Stones, Cream, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces, Fleetwood Mac, (with Peter Green) Fairport Convention (with Richard Thompson & Sandy Denny)

In the 70's, I went through an Eagles phase, but thanks to Fairport, got more into folk bands like Steeleye Span, The Albion Band, The Oyster Band, Planxty, Boys of the Lough, Tannahill Weavers, Silly Wizard, That continued into the 80's with Ossian and Shetland bands like Hom Bru.....Also listened to a lot of Richard Thompson stuff around this time - and still do!

Totally agree with Dave.J over the page on Jack Bruce - an incredibly talented musician/songwriter. His Songs From A Tailor album is, and always will be one of my all time favourites.

Your music collection sound much like mine:lol:

On 26/11/2016 at 23:50, Daydream said:

A load of prog bands are often lauded for their technical ability - bands like King Crimson, Yes etc.

For me The Beatles must be up there for their ability to write such catchy tunes. And they're self-confessed limited musicians.

Still one of my favourite quotes ever - when John Lennon was asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, he hit back with "He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles..."

15 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Still one of my favourite quotes ever - when John Lennon was asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, he hit back with "He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles..."

I do like that quote!  

16 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Mind It Bites - they were unbelievably musical - possibly too much so for their own good.

Debatably a better band when they ditched Frankie boy - a friend sent me The Tall Ships & Map Of The Past a few years back & couldn't believe this was the same mob behind Calling All The Heroes & Still Too Young To Remember.

There's upping your game, & there's releasing back to back albums which sound like everything good about old Rush & old Genesis combined.

Despite twice getting nominated for the best album in the Prog Rock Awards (both times pipped by Rush), it appears they got disillusioned with the lack of sales & have packed it in again. Shame.