The Only Team in The Bible vs The Pars (17/12/2016)

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And so he damn well should have. This utter revisionist nonsense that suggests a man who got 41 goals in a single season was somehow favoured in being first choice striker is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. No Queens fan wanted to drop him at the time. Some thought he should partner Lyle, some thought Reilly, but Nicky fully deserved to be first pick.

Not gonna go into all that again SD but you are wrong with that certain comment and there was quite a few. Like his visits as a Rangers player I don't expect him to get the warmest of welcomes.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not gonna go into all that again SD but you are wrong with that certain comment and there was quite a few. Like his visits as a Rangers player I don't expect him to get the warmest of welcomes.

If there were any they were a distinct minority, and their opinion was plain wrong. Clark was a standout that season and was rightly first choice.

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

Well you brought it up again unprompted. Other than Charlie, whose fixation on Gavin Reilly was borderline criminal stalking, and you, nobody else had an issue until he signed for Rangers and the perception that his dad handled it badly emerged. I dont care what level we were playing at, there is a reason nobody, not even Dobbie, has got near that sort of season since offside was invented. Clark was exceptionally good that season and the idea that he should have been left out for Reilly and Lyle had his dad not been assistant manager is utterly laughable.

I doubt he will get a warm welcome and that is very disappointing considering he often used to come watch us in his first year or two at Ibrox when he didnt have a game even long after his dad had moved on.

The surprising thing about Clark wasn't that he got a game every week. The surprise came at the start of the season when Reilly looked to be the clear favourite to partner Lyle having been decent in his limited appearances under Gus. Clark had been played as a right winger in the previous season (not very often tbf) and hadn't been very good. The management team clearly saw enough to be convinced he should be the automatic first pick as a striker from the outset.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

The surprising thing about Clark wasn't that he got a game every week. The surprise came at the start of the season when Reilly looked to be the clear favourite to partner Lyle having been decent in his limited appearances under Gus. Clark had been played as a right winger in the previous season (not very often tbf) and hadn't been very good. The management team clearly saw enough to be convinced he should be the automatic first pick as a striker from the outset.

They weren't wrong though.

Reilly was probably favourite to partner Kevin Smith as the front two, not Lyle. Lyle wasn't even signed when the season started and was fielded as a sub v Dumbarton as a Trialist (and came on after Reilly). Smith was injured in that game though and Lyle started against Alloa the following week, scoring once whilst Clark got two. Over the season Lyle and Reilly saw roughly equal use as Clark's partner. Smith wasn't fit again until the back end of the season and rarely featured in the first team.

12 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

With the general pishness of our season, Nicky Clark's impact hasn't been mentioned much but his goalscoring return for us is really good. We can't claim to suddenly be a great side but one defeat in the last six league games (1-0 at Tannadice) isn't too bad going. There have been signs of us tightening up at the back and generally toughening up physically. We're also starting to create chances.

I'm so pleased Moffat got those goals as he's a guy that seems crippled by confidence. A wee spell on the sidelines thinking "I could do better that these guys" has hopefully focussed his mind. He nonchalantly tucked those chances on Saturday away with all the swagger of El Bak. With his head in the right place, The Moff could be a goal machine for us.

No idea how this will pan out on Saturday.

I was surprised how well Moffat took his chances, especially the second one. Usually he's terrible at 1v1 chances when he has time. We now have four quite capable strikers. 

31 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Was great to see Moffat being so ruthless on Saturday. Unlucky to not get a hat-trick as well.

His best moment was probably the cynical booking he took for the team near the end. Love to see such blatant cheating.

My brother hates that. Talks about how it should be a red card offence. Utter bullshit of course. I'd fully expect a Morton player to take a cynical booking if it helped the team.

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Arsenal is only in some versions. Others substitute the word "armoury". It's also not capitalised, like "bury". Hearts and Wolves aren't the names of football clubs (abbreviations don't count).

On the other hand "Queen of the South" with proper capitalisation is in there (Luke Ch 11, Verse 33 and Matthew Ch 12, Verse 42).

Actually in some versions it says Queen of Sheba or something like that - maybe the Gideon in hotels?- I'm sure I checked once. Still QOS though...

The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it (or in Luke: with the men of this generation and condemn them), for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.

Archived