January tweeking

Contracts expiring for us in January are Aidan Nesbitt's loan from Celtic, Caolan McAleer, Gavin Gunning, Andy Murdoch & Jon Scullion.

Renewing Nesbitt & Murdoch's deals is essential, Nesbitt is the only winger we've got and offers something no one else at the club can. Murdoch has played in every game since he arrived in September, coincidentally about the time our form turned from dreadful to excellent.

Gunning is clearly one of the best centre backs in the division and keeping him would be excellent, but if he does get an offer from a higher level and goes then fair enough: he only came here for fitness primarily, and we still have Kilday who's solid along with O'Ware and Lamie who are competent.

Duffy clearly doesn't rate Scullion as he rarely gives him a chance, but by the same token he keeps giving him six month deals. It's bizarre, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered another with how short we are up front. If our worst fears are confirmed and Quitongo is now out for weeks he should get some starts before January, as the alternative is Kudus Oyenuga.

In Scullion's last sub appearance we were 1-0 down against Ayr when he came on and ended up winning 2-1, Scullion assisting the winner with a sublime pass that put Oliver clean through on goal. He hasn't appeared in the five games since, whereas Oyenuga has started two of them and came off the bench in the other three, being utterly hopeless in all of them.

McAleer is miles out of his depth at this level and will leave. Strange signing.

We definitely need one striker to provide cover for Quitongo, and we'll need two if he leaves so we can keep Oyenuga as far away from the team as possible. There's talk of Andy Little coming in, but no other rumours around. Denny Johnstone hasn't been doing well at Colchester so if we could get him back on loan it'd be fantastic, but no idea how likely that is. Provided we keep Nesbitt and Murdoch, up front is the only place we desperately need signings, although another midfielder who can play out wide would be welcome.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Scosha said:

We need another striker in and maybe 2 depending on whether Quitongo leaves in January if a decent bid comes in for him. Add another winger as well and we should have a decent team to have a go at reaching the play-offs. There's chat of Andy Little coming in to train with us this week but who knows.

Probably see Scullion finally leave us after his 5th 6 month contract coming to an end. Shame for the guy but if he's going to make it as a footballer he needs to go somewhere else to get a game as Duffy seems reluctant to use him due to his size in height as well as width. Talented player though.

Caolan McAleer should rightly see the door as well. Just not good enough for this level.

Unfortunately Kudus Oyenuga is under contract until the end of the season. I'd punt him as well if we could.

Forgot to add Sir Gavin Gunning. Too good for this level but I hope we manage to get him to sign on till the end of the season. What a player :wub:

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I'm not sure we can get any more loan players but once Hartley is dangling over the Tay Bridge by his ankles I'm sure he'll be happy to terminate Faissal's contract. 

We've got 3 domestic loans left this season. But, with Reilly being our "overage" loanee, it would require him leaving before any other type of domestic loan can happen for a player over the age of 21.

Wouldn't mind dipping into the Celtic pot again, coming out with Hendo and GMS. We have quality up front i think, we've just been unfortunate with Keatings getting injured when he was in a bit of form, so i would be happy with a winger or two, along with Hendo to support the midfield and get some quality balls in the box. 

20 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

We've got 3 domestic loans left this season. But, with Reilly being our "overage" loanee, it would require him leaving before any other type of domestic loan can happen for a player over the age of 21.

Thanks for explaining that. So what you're saying is that I need to bundle the Milky Bar Kid into the boot and drop him back to Riccarton before snatching El Bak?

Contracts expiring for us in January are Aidan Nesbitt's loan from Celtic, Caolan McAleer, Gavin Gunning, Andy Murdoch & Jon Scullion.
Renewing Nesbitt & Murdoch's deals is essential, Nesbitt is the only winger we've got and offers something no one else at the club can. Murdoch has played in every game since he arrived in September, coincidentally about the time our form turned from dreadful to excellent.
Gunning is clearly one of the best centre backs in the division and keeping him would be excellent, but if he does get an offer from a higher level and goes then fair enough: he only came here for fitness primarily, and we still have Kilday who's solid along with O'Ware and Lamie who are competent.
Duffy clearly doesn't rate Scullion as he rarely gives him a chance, but by the same token he keeps giving him six month deals. It's bizarre, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him offered another with how short we are up front. If our worst fears are confirmed and Quitongo is now out for weeks he should get some starts before January, as the alternative is Kudus Oyenuga.
In Scullion's last sub appearance we were 1-0 down against Ayr when he came on and ended up winning 2-1, Scullion assisting the winner with a sublime pass that put Oliver clean through on goal. He hasn't appeared in the five games since, whereas Oyenuga has started two of them and came off the bench in the other three, being utterly hopeless in all of them.
McAleer is miles out of his depth at this level and will leave. Strange signing.
We definitely need one striker to provide cover for Quitongo, and we'll need two if he leaves so we can keep Oyenuga as far away from the team as possible. There's talk of Andy Little coming in, but no other rumours around. Denny Johnstone hasn't been doing well at Colchester so if we could get him back on loan it'd be fantastic, but no idea how likely that is. Provided we keep Nesbitt and Murdoch, up front is the only place we desperately need signings, although another midfielder who can play out wide would be welcome.

Murdochs already signed until the end of the season

17 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You know you can't just "release" injured players without paying them right? Why would they agree to leave for less than their contract says they are due?

Given Tappings track record it might have been sensible of us to have inserted a clause in which we could release him if he sustained another long term injury. Some people have pride and dont want to bleed a club dry without contributing. I should have reworded it to a mutually agreed termination of the contract.

52 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Andy Little

Where has he been hiding? Last I heard of him he was treading water in League One. I considered him for my worst performance ever seen at Somerset list.  

Where has he been hiding? Last I heard of him he was treading water in League One. I considered him for my worst performance ever seen at Somerset list.  

He was training at Patrick to get fit but is looking for a championship team.

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

Given Tappings track record it might have been sensible of us to have inserted a clause in which we could release him if he sustained another long term injury. Some people have pride and dont want to bleed a club dry without contributing. I should have reworded it to a mutually agreed termination of the contract.

He got injured playing for Queens, he's entitled to a wage.

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

I'm sure Tapping, with his injury record, was absolutely gagging to sign up to a contract in which it meant he would have no job should he be unfortunate enough to pick up another injury whilst doing said job.

Football fans live on another planet.

Clearly hoping for Nesbitt and Gunning to stay. 

Scullion just hasn't got himself properly fit. He obviously didn't stick to the 6 week pre-season plan - in fact he came back heavier. Talented lad but he's not suited to the modern game and I think he will move on.

McAleer hasn't shown anything in his brief showings. Could be kept and played in the development squad as I hear he's had a couple of decent games recently. Worth a gamble to see how he develops? 

If Quitongo leaves we need two strikers in. If he stays I wouldn't mind seeing Alex Samuel back on loan. 

Guest Back Post Misses
8 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

We need someone who can play on the right of midfield, preferably with a bit of a pace but the main thing is that they're a natural wide midfielder. Too often we don't have an outball and the centre of the park becomes congested.

There is no need for both Rankin and Kerr. I'd try to arrange a deal for Rankin to leave. Watson is alright but again, there's no need for that many players in that position.

Finally, Nathan Austin going to either Ayr or Dumbarton on loan makes so much sense for all parties that I can't believe it's not happened.

Was in hospitality on Saturday and all the talk is the Austin will start to feature as his niggling injuries have cleared up.

Houston has lost patience with a number of players. John Baird even said when he was interviewed that the manager is going to make changes next week at Dumbarton.

Not before time for me.

6 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Hutton is out on loan so I'm assuming at least a chunk of his wage is being paid. The others will still be in contract, someone might sign Webster or Gallagher in league 1 but can't see anyone wanting Langfield and we need him as a backup anyway.

We could do with cover for Quinn and another CB especially if Webster goes. Another striker if we can send Walsh and Hardie back.

Is Langfield not our goal keeping coach also.  so really cant see him going anywhere

Guest Back Post Misses
Just now, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Was it not just last week he was subbed off injured after 20 minutes?

It was, only quoting what the lad said about him being fit.

Archived