Old Firm Colts in L2

Lincoln have had bigger attendances for league games twice this season; over 11,000 for the visit of Nottis County and over 9,500 when Coventry came calling. Think they average 6-7000 in the league. Basically their current managers have got them back in the league and the first sense of optimism about the club for a generation.

Lowest attendances have been in the earlier rounds of the much-derided Checkatrade trophy which many fans of English league clubs refuse to go to, for much the same reasons as we are opposing the idea of boys teams in the league..

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

"No", would have been shorter.

What's the point in going into specifics if the SPFL board don't feel the need to ask the clubs to vote on the proposal.

14 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm sure everybody who's been arguing with Willy about this will be thrilled to see that he doesn't know how the voting on the proposal would work, despite it being mentioned many, many times on here, and despite him thinking that it'll go ahead anyway.

You'd genuinely be as well discussing this with the cat.

Maybe you didn't grasp the point i was making,to get 30-32 clubs to approve the proposal is easier if you are only offering a pilot scheme for two years.
If you can't even get a pilot scheme passed the post then the water has been tested.

1 hour ago, Bazil85 said:

I think that's part of the problem in football and why wages are ridiculous in EPL and Europe. Massive squads. Teams like Chelsea swallow up so much talent, maintain several older youth teams and loan out squads of players. Gives them a massive advantage (but doesn't seem to be very fruitful with results) I would have it limited across the board. Max senior squad 25 players. Max youth squads and max players that can be loaned out. Force these other players into other set-ups where they'll be playing more competitive matches. 

I had that game on last night and the commentator actually said he thought it was "brilliant" how Chelsea do youth development.  His exact words were "what a boost it must be for a young lad to pull on that Chelsea shirt in a competitive game". Clearly completely ignoring the fact that these guys will rot in Chelsea's youth squads or be sent out on loan 9 times before being sold at 24 having had no career to speak of so far. After the game they were saying how the Chelsea boys will have learned so much from the game - at half time Chelsea were yet to register a shot on or off target and they scored with their second shot on target in the second half. 2 chances they made and spent the rest of the game defending against a total of 23 efforts at goal.  The Lincoln lads weren't holding back either, a Chelsea boy took a right bad one in the first half and had to go off in the second half. Arguably Chelsea did well to get it to penalties but they were completely outplayed and out-muscled and if Lincoln could put the ball in the net it would've been a cricket score.  I fail to see how players learn from being battered for 90 minutes.

15 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

If the Old Firm want their young players playing in a "real league" may I suggest Celtic Colts shipping off to the League of Ireland and Rangers Colts to the Northern Ireland League. They may actually be popular there.

So would you approve if it was hibs and hearts colts or motherwell and hamilton colts making the proposal?

30 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

What's the point in going into specifics if the SPFL board don't feel the need to ask the clubs to vote on the proposal.

Maybe you didn't grasp the point i was making,to get 30-32 clubs to approve the proposal is easier if you are only offering a pilot scheme for two years.
If you can't even get a pilot scheme passed the post then the water has been tested.

Yeah so with it likely being that the pilot scheme isn't even going to pass what does that tell us? need to remember how much the Rangers and Celtic coaches had their heads buried in the sand with this proposal saying it would generate positive fan interest, crowds and commercial revenue. That just shows they had completed little to no research on the topic before presenting to League 2 sides. Now McCart has came out and said it's all but dead for now. 

If someone as out of touch, disrespectful to fans and down right stupid as Chris McCart is saying the pilot will likely not get off the ground, I think it's fair to say it won't. 

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

The other interesting thing I noticed was Chelsea had a squad number 73 that scored for them & I would not be surprized if they have at least that number of players on their books.

Chelsea currently have 33 players out on loan. That's on top of their first team and U23 squad, so you're probably not far off with that figure.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had that game on last night and the commentator actually said he thought it was "brilliant" how Chelsea do youth development.  His exact words were "what a boost it must be for a young lad to pull on that Chelsea shirt in a competitive game". Clearly completely ignoring the fact that these guys will rot in Chelsea's youth squads or be sent out on loan 9 times before being sold at 24 having had no career to speak of so far.

They seem to use it as a revenue stream as opposed to a direct route into their first team. Wouldn't be surprised if the OF were interested in doing the same.

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had that game on last night and the commentator actually said he thought it was "brilliant" how Chelsea do youth development.  His exact words were "what a boost it must be for a young lad to pull on that Chelsea shirt in a competitive game". Clearly completely ignoring the fact that these guys will rot in Chelsea's youth squads or be sent out on loan 9 times before being sold at 24 having had no career to speak of so far. After the game they were saying how the Chelsea boys will have learned so much from the game - at half time Chelsea were yet to register a shot on or off target and they scored with their second shot on target in the second half. 2 chances they made and spent the rest of the game defending against a total of 23 efforts at goal.  The Lincoln lads weren't holding back either, a Chelsea boy took a right bad one in the first half and had to go off in the second half. Arguably Chelsea did well to get it to penalties but they were completely outplayed and out-muscled and if Lincoln could put the ball in the net it would've been a cricket score.  I fail to see how players learn from being battered for 90 minutes.

How did the game compare with a Dumbarton game, particularly in terms of skills, abilities and standard of entertainment on offer  ( I am being very serious here ). 

On another point when was the last time a minor game such as this was carried on TV in Scotland. The Beeb and other media have frequent and comprehensive coverage of football in England at all levels. We have Sportscene which is mainly Scottish Premiership extracts with very little other content,  and timings of the programmes are all over the place. Scottish Press coverage is also limited  usually to the OF and the Of and the......maybe some Championship. My main problem with the colts proposal (apart from the highly objectionable 'Bribery'  element)  is it is so limited  in terms of improving our Scottish  and Scotland  prospects. Time for some real thinking and vision at Hampden, for a start to improve and expand on HenryMcLeish.  The current chaos at Hampden  is  both a signal of the present standing of Scottish football and an opportunity for radical improvement.     

10 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

They seem to use it as a revenue stream as opposed to a direct route into their first team. Wouldn't be surprised if the OF were interested in doing the same.

For me the biggest problem is keeping the talent in Scottish football,the better the players the better the league is,Celtic all ready do this we have 15 players out on loan.
eg. Ryan Christie on loan at Aberdeen would hate to see him go down south and get swallowed up by the graveyard of players,the only problem with the loan system here is he can't play against Celtic,i would change that and let him play. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

How did the game compare with a Dumbarton game, particularly in terms of skills, abilities and standard of entertainment on offer  ( I am being very serious here ). 

The pitch was an absolute state so it wasn't very conducive to passing football but it didn't stop Chelsea relentlessly playing out from the back and then losing the ball at the half way line. Lincoln were more direct and looked to bully them around. Lincoln are probably of a better standard than Dumbarton but from what I saw last night I'm not sure there would be much in it, no idea if that was their first team but they had Matt Rhead playing up front whose body shape was not unlike Mark Yardley. I wouldn't say the skill on show was much better than what we're served up here. Chelsea were utterly shite apart from a couple of boys in defence and out wide. It was reasonably entertaining though the pitch helped that with the ball taking crazy bobbles/players tripping up etc.

55 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So would you approve if it was hibs and hearts colts or motherwell and hamilton colts making the proposal?

Certainly the fact that the Old Firm seem have been the ones that seem to think they should have priority in this carry on probably did not help it gain support but personally have always stuck to the principle that no club should have more than one entry in the league system, so in answer to your question would not want any second teams involved regardless of who they represent.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Again you missed the point having him playing in Scotland improves the league.

Again you're having a complete mare here.  Ryan Christie was already playing in Scotland, Celtic didn't need to buy him and loan him out again to improve Scottish football. 

Could you tell me exactly how Celtic signing Scott Allan because Rangers wanted him, not playing him for over a season and then loaning him out to Dundee was good for Scottish football?

You're a fucking fanny.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Again you're having a complete mare here.  Ryan Christie was already playing in Scotland, Celtic didn't need to buy him and loan him out again to improve Scottish football. 

Could you tell me exactly how Celtic signing Scott Allan because Rangers wanted him, not playing him for over a season and then loaning him out to Dundee was good for Scottish football?

You're a fucking fanny.

Again you are incapable of seeing the bigger picture,we have a monster on our door step,young talent in this country see the big bright lights with a better bank balance.
Scott Allan was that rabbit now trying to rekindle his career or what is left of it.
i think you come from a long list of fannies. 

29 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Again you are incapable of seeing the bigger picture,we have a monster on our door step,young talent in this country see the big bright lights with a better bank balance.
Scott Allan was that rabbit now trying to rekindle his career or what is left of it.
i think you come from a long list of fannies. 

So it's Scott Allan's fault?