Inverness vs Motherwell

Bottom of the league Inverness vs a Motherwell side that haven't won away since the opening day of the season.

This will most likely be a draw. ICT and Accies away are two good opportunities to end our poor away form but we could quite easily start the new year bottom of the league.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That we could quite easily finish the year bottom of the league is quite depressing to read but I do agree.

I genuinely think we have players of quality at this level particularly in forward areas but right now we're just not working well as a team.

Players like Moult, McDonald, Cadden are, in my opinion, the best in their positions outside the top 4 or 5 teams but we're not translating this into wins. It has to be said we're not getting the balance right in midfield and our defence seems utterly hamstrung by a lack of confidence in the goalkeeper (and with good reason). That's not to say they're without blame but Samson seems to be at the route of a lot of goals we've conceded this season.

Anyway, I hope we can go up and get a result, we're capable of it. If we get 1st half Motherwell from the Aberdeen and Celtic games, we'll probably win, if we get the second half of Aberdeen with a midfield that just couldn't compete then we'll come away with another zero. Here's hoping for the former.

I'll guess 1-1.

I see we're offering a special ticket deal for home fans only which seems a bit off. I'm sure we've been the victim of this in the past where the opposition team had a special offer for their fans but ICT fans weren't able to pick up the same deal. Hopefully it gets sorted out and no Well fans are left out of pocket for attending the game.

Sounds like we had a good performance against Rangers but, as per usual, we didn't take our chances. More of the same with added goals in a couple of days would be good.

Just watched McGhee's presser there, said he doubts Lasley will make this one but Carl McHugh could be back in the squad for the next couple of games. Even though he probably won't play much if at all, it's great to hear he's ahead of schedule and doing well after everything he's been through.

Also sounds like he's been given the green light to bring in a player or two in January and he has a couple of positions in mind.

Just watched McGhee's presser there, said he doubts Lasley will make this one but Carl McHugh could be back in the squad for the next couple of games. Even though he probably won't play much if at all, it's great to hear he's ahead of schedule and doing well after everything he's been through.
Also sounds like he's been given the green light to bring in a player or two in January and he has a couple of positions in mind.

That's smashing news about McHugh.

re: January window. The return of Pearo perhaps?

Feels strange to ask since we signed him in summer but what kind of player is McHugh?

I was under the impression he was a defensive midfielder? Or even a centre back I thought I heard somewhere?

Excellent news that he's on the mend anyway as, although I don't even know his role in the team, our midfield could use a change.

Feels strange to ask since we signed him in summer but what kind of player is McHugh?

I was under the impression he was a defensive midfielder? Or even a centre back I thought I heard somewhere?

Excellent news that he's on the mend anyway as, although I don't even know his role in the team, our midfield could use a change.

He was originally a centre half at Bradford but Adams apparently reinvented him as a holding midfielder at Plymouth.

I get the impression that he was brought in with a view to if not replacing Lasley completely this season then at the very least taking some of the strain off him in that area of the park.

FWIW: here's a wee compilation from Bradford. The goal against Villa is a beaut.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That's smashing news about McHugh.

re: January window. The return of Pearo perhaps?

Maybe, McGhee did suggest that Martin Foyle(who I presume is the chief scout?) has been putting several names to him and that he'd specified positions he was looking to strengthen. So you'd think we're back shopping in the Conference again and to be fair it's a market we've exploited quite well in recent times. You've got to think a left winger and a central midfielder, especially if Lucas does indeed depart, would be the priority. 

Two big games before we can worry about that though, need to be looking at taking at least 3-4 points from these games imho. Which given our away form this season I'm not exactly confident about, it's 1 point and 1 goal(an own goal) in our last 4 away games albeit there's been some tricky games in there. Really need to start picking up more points on the road though, especially since we've taken only 1 point from our last 3 games at Fir Park.

Lose both of these, which we're perfectly capable of doing, then things look a bit bleak going into the New Year. Starting 2017 bottom of the league and our first five league games when we return from the break will be;  

Rangers(h), Ross County(a), Hearts(h), Aberdeen(a) & Celtic(a)...

Don't care how we do it, ugly or otherwise but we really need to start getting some points on the board and these next two games present as good a chance as we're going to have for a while.

Maybe, McGhee did suggest that Martin Foyle(who I presume is the chief scout?) has been putting several names to him and that he'd specified positions he was looking to strengthen. So you'd think we're back shopping in the Conference again and to be fair it's a market we've exploited quite well in recent times. You've got to think a left winger and a central midfielder, especially if Lucas does indeed depart, would be the priority. 

Yeah Foyle's the head of recruitment. I watched the interview & thought it quite interesting that McGhee's openly saying we're in the market to recruit. Normally he bats that sort of question away & point to "budget".

The other thought is that most players will still be under contract in the January window so I wonder if its permanent deals, loans or OOC players (eg: Pearson) we're looking at. I'd happily add a goalkeeper to that list of players required.

If Samson is in goals tomorrow then the ball is surely on the slates for Brill at FP. Will be interesting to see what happens with McGhee's hand seemingly forced if Lasley's unavailable.

This isn't getting much attention but it's a massive game. We've had a few OKish performances, were apparently decent against Rangers, came from behind against both Killie and Accies - we HAVE to win this game, we HAVE to GET going in terms of winning and scoring goals and HAVE to get off the bottom of the table.

Our only real outlet for goals is Doumbaya, we need the attacking players behind him to perform better and supply him or create chances of their own. We need to perform better defensively and be more organised.

I'm fucking nervous.

19 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah Foyle's the head of recruitment. I watched the interview & thought it quite interesting that McGhee's openly saying we're in the market to recruit. Normally he bats that sort of question away & point to "budget".

The other thought is that most players will still be under contract in the January window so I wonder if its permanent deals, loans or OOC players (eg: Pearson) we're looking at. I'd happily add a goalkeeper to that list of players required.

If Samson is in goals tomorrow then the ball is surely on the slates for Brill at FP. Will be interesting to see what happens with McGhee's hand seemingly forced if Lasley's unavailable.

Was saying that to my Dad yesterday. If Brill can't get a game now, he'd be as well telling McGhee he wants to leave ASAP. Samson is honking, yet appears to be absolutely undroppable. 

Just now, well fan for life said:

Was saying that to my Dad yesterday. If Brill can't get a game now, he'd be as well telling McGhee he wants to leave ASAP. Samson is honking, yet appears to be absolutely undroppable. 

100%. The way I see it Samson should be launched into the sun, the quicker the better.

There are a couple of scenarios as far as I can see, either;

1. Brill isn't viewed as offering any more than Samson, which having seen him in u20s games isn't *that* unrealistic. He looks overweight and isn't that agile

2. McGhee genuinely doesn't see an issue with Samson, which frankly beggars belief. Obviously goalkeepers make mistakes but Samson makes them consistently. For all McGhee might front up in pre/post-match interviews and give votes of confidence, he's been watching Samson chuck goals since the start of the season.

As you say, if Brill can't get a game now then given he's only on a deal until the end of the season then he's done at Fir Park. If he actually wants to play I'd imagine he'd, not unreasonably, be chapping on the manager's door asking for a move.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100%. The way I see it Samson should be launched into the sun, the quicker the better.

There are a couple of scenarios as far as I can see, either;

1. Brill isn't viewed as offering any more than Samson, which having seen him in u20s games isn't *that* unrealistic. He looks overweight and isn't that agile

2. McGhee genuinely doesn't see an issue with Samson, which frankly beggars belief. Obviously goalkeepers make mistakes but Samson makes them consistently. For all McGhee might front up in pre/post-match interviews and give votes of confidence, he's been watching Samson chuck goals since the start of the season.

As you say, if Brill can't get a game now then given he's only on a deal until the end of the season then he's done at Fir Park. If he actually wants to play I'd imagine he'd, not unreasonably, be chapping on the manager's door asking for a move.

I might be wrong but I'm not sure you're too far off the mark with the second one. I could swear I heard McGhee say "Craig Samson's having a terrific season" in one of his post match interviews which is all well and good. Most managers wouldn't openly criticise their players, particularly one who relies so much on confidence as a goalkeeper but I get the impression he is a manager who develops his favourites and seems very reluctant to drop them and makes it borderline impossible for others to break into the team as we've seen with Ainsworth.

He seems to get one game and if he doesn't play a blinder, sometimes even if he does play well, he gets insta-dropped again. I don't know if the same is happening with Samson. When he said that in his interview he genuinely seemed to believe it to me. If he does, he's in serious denial. He's fucking shite and needs benched and replaced at the earliest convenience.

Samson starts to the surprise of no one. On the other hand McHugh is back! Alongside Lucas and Clay in midfield.

Motherwell: Samson, Tait, Hammell, Heneghan, McManus, McHugh, Moult, Cadden, Lucas, Clay, McDonald

Motherwell subs: Brill, Ainsworth, Bowman, Ferguson, Campbell, McMillan, Mackin

Archived