The Ton v The Sons

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Nesbitt clipped his own heels when he went down. I didn't think Barr was close enough to make contact but the highlights will, of course, clear it up. Impressed with Vaughan. He seems to have plenty of energy and seemed good in the air/holding up. I don't think we were lacking in the final third, it was more like the final sixth really. We were getting the ball into dangerous areas but were then either unlucky with the break of the ball or just poor at finishing it off.

I couldn't help but think of Rajamaki's dive in 1995 after the penalty. Still seething about that after 22 years!

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm no, it quite clearly wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity being prevented. It was just a trip inside the box and a penalty, nothing more, nothing less.

Leave the inquest business to Quincy MD IMO.

That's quite possibly the wrong bit that I was aiming to highlight. I was trying to focus on the fact that players will be sent off for "holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball or having no possibility to play the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball." The example I gave was Jamie Adams committing a cynical foul in the middle of the park on some St Mirren player as he broke. On its own that foul wouldn't warrant a red but because, in the opinion of the referee, Adams made no attempt to get the ball/couldn't get the ball it was.

The aim is to get rid of cynical 'take one for the team fouls'. Now, given that Barr had no chance of playing the ball (albeit neither does Nesbitt), I thought he was very lucky to escape a red, let alone without a booking.

Quincy reference, eh? You must be old imo.

17 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Thought we were too cautious in the first 20 minutes or so and sat far too deep.

Nisbett is a real prospect; very quick and good with the ball. Gave Bucky and Barr a difficult afternoon with some clever quick movement.

Mark Brown done ok, as did Nade and Vaughan. Thought Andy Stirling was our best player again.

Morton have a decent chance of securing the playoffs, their centre backs and centre mids are pretty solid.

If we can get a goal scorer in and another winger there's no reason why we shouldn't fancy our chances to get to the play-offs and maybe even pull off a couple of shock results. Already beaten Dundee United this season and knocked both Killie and Hamilton out of the League Cup.

2 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

First game in while so I'm not being critical and didn't expect any more but didn't really think nade did ok. 

The much maligned mark brown did fine 

Touched on it already, but looked way off the pace. Knackered after only being on 10 mins and walked about a lot. Vaughan on the other hand looked like he could be very useful.

5 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

What are all the claims of handball and a 2nd penalty all about? I didn't think there was even a soft shout for a penalty at that one.

The incident where the defender moved his shoulder towards the ball and controlled it with the top of his arm? Yeah, never a penalty...

By the way I would absolutely love it to see your lot go up this season. Absolutely love it. The media tears that it isn't Hibs/Dundee Utd 'who the top flight needs' would be sensational.

Absolutely, the seethe!

Of course it might just push through league reconstruction but balls to that.

Are Hamilton any bigger than Morton?

9 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Touched on it already, but looked way off the pace. Knackered after only being on 10 mins and walked about a lot. Vaughan on the other hand looked like he could be very useful.

I actually thought he did fine. It was always going to take a bit of time to get him up to speed having played very little in the past few months, but he looked decent enough - had a few lovely touches and was pretty effective at holding play up. He's never been one to charge about running much, because that's usually how he gets injured!

5 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

The incident where the defender moved his shoulder towards the ball and controlled it with the top of his arm? Yeah, never a penalty...

I thought that was more of a penalty than the actual penalty to be honest, but I still thought it would have been harsh. He moved his body towards the ball but (I think) it hit off the top of his shoulder not his arm. Not 100% sure though.

5 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Absolutely, the seethe!

Of course it might just push through league reconstruction but balls to that.

Are Hamilton any bigger than Morton?

I don't want to open that can of worms!

10 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I had a great view of that from the cowshed, I was in there with my Morton supporting friends. Never a penalty for handball. It was his shoulder. 

Hamilton are not, never have been nor ever will be bigger than Morton. They've had a good last decade but are still the smallest team in the premier by far

That's quite possibly the wrong bit that I was aiming to highlight. I was trying to focus on the fact that players will be sent off for "holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball or having no possibility to play the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball." The example I gave was Jamie Adams committing a cynical foul in the middle of the park on some St Mirren player as he broke. On its own that foul wouldn't warrant a red but because, in the opinion of the referee, Adams made no attempt to get the ball/couldn't get the ball it was.
The aim is to get rid of cynical 'take one for the team fouls'. Now, given that Barr had no chance of playing the ball (albeit neither does Nesbitt), I thought he was very lucky to escape a red, let alone without a booking.
Quincy reference, eh? You must be old imo.

No, it was just an accidental trip. Unfortunate for the defender, but tough: it was still a foul on Nesbitt. Similar to (but far more obvious than) the Man City penalty last night. No card needed: just a foul and penalty.

Quincy MD is a timeless piece of television gold.

21 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

By the way I would absolutely love it to see your lot go up this season. Absolutely love it. The media tears that it isn't Hibs/Dundee Utd 'who the top flight needs' would be sensational.

I heard Gary Locke saying on the radio today that we should have a 16 team Premiership. His reasoning was that their game with Dunfermline had a great attendance and it would be a great advert for the top league. I think that why can't it just be a great advert for the Championship? I don't think it would have many more people going if it was in a higher division tbh. I think the league system is pretty much fine as it is. And you're right, the seethe would be magnificent if Morton went up at the expense of one of the others.

Archived