Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Get yerself down to Cluan Place off the Short Strand Lichtie, for a celebration of ''respect, integrity and equality' it's a show that runs 365 days a year, not just the 12th of July.

Make a good spot for a border post in a new smaller new Northern Ireland.

Like a Polish Corridor run by the EU.

Thank you for these insightful contributions from the Royston RSC. Hopefully having a Rangers supporter post stuff like this isn't a sign of the impending approach of the four horsemen of the apocalypse or something like that. Never been to Cluan Place, but I could tell that the Fountain in Londonderry would take some beating on being the least desirable residential location in NI thanks to the respect, integrity and equality displayed by its Republican neighbours the one time I took a stroll there, so I'll probably steer well clear of that particular corner of Belfast the next time I am in the gerrymander. Came away with a firmer understanding of why my forebears would have preferred working down a pit in Bo'ness to living in Ulster.

The stoning and smashing of windows in the Fountain, by Republican/Nationalist youths is commonplace.
Its all ok though, I'm sure the fed up residents realise the wee scamps are just being neighbourly and it's their contribution to 'cross community involvement'.
When was the last time we saw a BBC or Ch4 news team down there, reporting on the 'plight of those oppressed and frightened people'? Hahahahaha F*CKING NEVER!!
You won't read the 'know all' apologists on here highlighting it either.

Fountain's a great place.

Couple of cold beers in Armstrong's

Walk round the walls.

Tour of the Mem and the Cathedral.

Maybe even catch a Derry City game, maybe not this season since ground redevelopment sees them out at Buncrana.

Still maybe Derry GAA at home.

Could even take you all to meet my cousin over the river in Bond St.

Fountain's a great place.
Couple of cold beers in Armstrong's
Walk round the walls.
Tour of the Mem and the Cathedral.
Maybe even catch a Derry City game, maybe not this season since ground redevelopment sees them out at Buncrana.
Still maybe Derry GAA at home.
Could even take you all to meet my cousin over the river in Bond St.

That would be smashing! Cheers[emoji6]

4 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

The stoning and smashing of windows in the Fountain, by Republican/Nationalist youths is commonplace.
Its all ok though, I'm sure the fed up residents realise the wee scamps are just being neighbourly and it's their contribution to 'cross community involvement'.
When was the last time we saw a BBC or Ch4 news team down there, reporting on the 'plight of those oppressed and frightened people'? Hahahahaha F*CKING NEVER!!

Can't move on here for these apologists and appeasers.

Just taking Parity of Esteem too far.

Down with that sort of thing.

Or is it, Up Down?

19 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Tbf, Blue Peter (seriously) about, eff it last century, did a piece on it.

Funny i never saw a thing from the Masonic Watch Tower.

Maybe i was looking the wrong way.

Or the hundred hi spec camera's weren't working.

Still, there was a good Chinese take away on the Carlisle Rd.

Sinn Fein trying to scupper the talks before they start by saying they won't have Arlene Foster as First Minister. They won't need 3 weeks for the talks, 3 minutes will do them with that sort of attitude.

Gregory Campbell not exactly fulsome of his support for AF on this morning's Nolan Show.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Sinn Fein trying to scupper the talks before they start by saying they won't have Arlene Foster as First Minister. They won't need 3 weeks for the talks, 3 minutes will do them with that sort of attitude.

Gregory Campbell not exactly fulsome of his support for AF on this morning's Nolan Show.

My guess is she'll go one way or another,been pretty awful and I think the rest know it,  the shinners attitude isn't helping, but if it does force the hand in binning her then it may be worth it.

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Noticed that sort of vibe as well in the new East Belfast MP's comments on the BBC website. Apparently the next step is new elections, if they don't reach agreement which is probably intended to focus minds as newly elected MLAs are unlikely to be keen on going through the whole process again to say nothing of the voters. Will be interesting to see who blinks first on this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-northern-ireland-2017-39168287

Mr Robinson told BBC 5Live's Stephen Nolan show: "I'm not ruling it out on the basis that if it was a decision for Arlene to take and one she made herself then the party would discuss that and consider it."

Maybe I'm not reading that correctly, but there's a possible "taxi for Foster" quality to that.

Just now, Co.Down Hibee said:

My guess is she'll go one way or another,been pretty awful and I think the rest know it,  the shinners attitude isn't helping, but if it does force the hand in binning her then it may be worth it.

I think that would set a bad precedent. Of course it depends how it's nuanced, and how triumphalist SF are about it. However, this is politics so anything is possible. Loyalty, support, honesty, etc mean different things in politics! I caught a bit of Arlene Foster's speech from the count centre, she sounded a bit more conciliatory (sp?), but it may be too little, too late.

The consensus from political commentators is that the DUP would be quite anxious to get the institutions back on track, while SF couldn't give a toss.

'We won't accept Arlene Foster as FM, we won't accept Direct Rule'
'We will stamp our feet until we get what WE want, that's how it works now isn't it' !?

If the DUP decide as a whole that Foster should stand aside as leader of their party, that's up to them, not F*ckin Sinn Fein.

They'll get their wish however, it's a fairly safe bet.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Noticed that sort of vibe as well in the new East Belfast MP's comments on the BBC website. Apparently the next step is new elections, if they don't reach agreement which is probably intended to focus minds as newly elected MLAs are unlikely to be keen on going through the whole process again to say nothing of the voters. Will be interesting to see who blinks first on this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-northern-ireland-2017-39168287

Mr Robinson told BBC 5Live's Stephen Nolan show: "I'm not ruling it out on the basis that if it was a decision for Arlene to take and one she made herself then the party would discuss that and consider it."

Maybe I'm not reading that correctly, but there's a possible "taxi for Foster" quality to that.

Gregory Campbell didn't couch it in those terms, but he paused before saying Arlene Foster would be First Minister/Leader. I can't remember his exact words, as it got a wee bit semantical, as is prone to happen on the Nolan Show. And GC wasn't just as bullish as he normally is. So on the bullish meter he was only 85% instead of 105%

Archived