Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any of you guys follow Gerry Adams on Twitter? Some of his Tweets really are A1 stuff. I don't see how anybody could dislike him; he seems like a great guy! Always posting #selfies with cats and suchlike. I, for one, would like to go out for a beer - or coffee - with him. Pity there's a mainstream media conspiracy against him, tbh. 

Any of you guys follow Gerry Adams on Twitter? Some of his Tweets really are A1 stuff. I don't see how anybody could dislike him; he seems like a great guy! Always posting #selfies with cats and suchlike. I, for one, would like to go out for a beer - or coffee - with him. Pity there's a mainstream media conspiracy against him, tbh. 

IMG_1488806704.788783.jpg

Wonder why they took that selfie there? [emoji848]

:lol:

He does seem like a good guy. I do read all of his Tweets in a falsetto voice like the BBC, back in the day, though.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Gregory Campbell must have had a second bowl of Weetabix, sounding much more like his old self on Talkback.

Judging by the Belfast Telegraph there's a lot of DUP MLAs that want Arlene Foster to step aside:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-assembly-election/arlene-foster-faces-revolt-as-third-of-dup-mlas-want-her-to-step-aside-and-save-institutions-35504549.html

and here's a prime example of how STV can lead to intraparty strife:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-assembly-election/ni-election-little-pengelly-blames-dup-leaflet-confusion-for-losing-seat-35504320.html

when two politicians are trying to make a very high risk voter management strategy work.

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Judging by the Belfast Telegraph there's a lot of DUP MLAs that want Arlene Foster to step aside:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-assembly-election/arlene-foster-faces-revolt-as-third-of-dup-mlas-want-her-to-step-aside-and-save-institutions-35504549.html

and here's a prime example of how STV can lead to intraparty strife:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-assembly-election/ni-election-little-pengelly-blames-dup-leaflet-confusion-for-losing-seat-35504320.html

when two politicians are trying to make a very high risk voter management strategy work.

10 was the figure quoted on the Nolan Show. Big play was made by Stephen Nolan/William Crawley that although Nigel Dodds, Sir Jeffrey Donaldson and Gregory Campbell had all been available for TV & radio interviews (all MPs), no MLAs put themselves forward for interview, although this was straightbatted by GC, who said the MLAs hadn't elected a press rep yet - not a great excuse in my opinion, but it got rid of the question of why no MLAs had been interviewed (about Arlene Foster's leadership/first ministership).

And regarding the 1/2 vote - this is what happened in Mid Ulster last year, the leaflets we got delivered to our area were for DUP voters to vote 1 Buchanan, 2 McCrea, which I thought strange as McCrea was local and Buchanan was from Pomeroy, where he would hoover up the unionist vote. Sandra Overend's vote peters off around Moneymore/Stewartstown/Cookstown. Ultimately Buchanan got in as did Overend and McCrea vanished from the scene.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Sinn Fein trying to scupper the talks before they start by saying they won't have Arlene Foster as First Minister. They won't need 3 weeks for the talks, 3 minutes will do them with that sort of attitude.

Gregory Campbell not exactly fulsome of his support for AF on this morning's Nolan Show.

That was obviously going to happen, considering that they resigned from government and forced the election as Foster refused to stand down temporarily to allow an enquiry into RHI to take place. Regardless of anyone's thoughts on their real motive, RHI and Foster's refusal to go for the duration of an enquiry was the ostensible reason and it's obvious that they wouldn't agree to re-enter a government with Foster as leader; especially not after the DUP had a disastrous election.

Had SF failed to gain seats while the DUP remained over 30 you could say that voters didn't share the concerns over RHU and SF had no right to make demands, but that election can easily be viewed as a vote of no confidence in Foster which vindicates SF's stance. The fact the DUP are still the largest party doesn't change that and it's hard to see how anyone can deny that Foster's position is now untenable. She could have stood down temporarily then returned as Peter Robinson did, instead she dug in and she's condemned herself to losing the post by doing so.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He does seem like a good guy. I do read all of his Tweets in a falsetto voice like the BBC, back in the day, though.

YOUR TONE IS ANTAGONISTIC AND YOU'RE MAKING ME VERY ANGRY

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

That was obviously going to happen, considering that they resigned from government and forced the election as Foster refused to stand down temporarily to allow an enquiry into RHI to take place. Regardless of anyone's thoughts on their real motive, RHI and Foster's refusal to go for the duration of an enquiry was the ostensible reason and it's obvious that they wouldn't agree to re-enter a government with Foster as leader; especially not after the DUP had a disastrous election.

Had SF failed to gain seats while the DUP remained over 30 you could say that voters didn't share the concerns over RHU and SF had no right to make demands, but that election can easily be viewed as a vote of no confidence in Foster which vindicates SF's stance. The fact the DUP are still the largest party doesn't change that and it's hard to see how anyone can deny that Foster's position is now untenable. She could have stood down temporarily then returned as Peter Robinson did, instead she dug in and she's condemned herself to losing the post by doing so.

YOUR TONE IS ANTAGONISTIC AND YOU'RE MAKING ME VERY ANGRY

That is the key word - Sinn Fein have also painted themselves into a corner on this matter. There is currently an enquiry ongoing so that doesn't hold water either.

At the moment John O'Dowd and Gregory Campbell are on. They're not punching 6 bells out of each other, and have been reasonably civil to each other, so there may be progress - eventually.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So if no agreement is made in 3 weeks then London takes control is that correct?

Think thats right,but im sure may n co will give them extra time if required (make up some shit) because they wont fancy sorting it out

I've heard two options - 1/ Another election. Whoopie do!

2/ Direct Rule. I don't know how SF would spin that to their supporters, but it certainly won't be their fault.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've heard two options - 1/ Another election. Whoopie do!

2/ Direct Rule. I don't know how SF would spin that to their supporters, but it certainly won't be their fault.

3/ unite with the rest of Ireland?

Archived