Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

14 hours ago, pandarilla said:

All well and good about preferring the ballot box but terrorists are usually fighting for an equal say in society, fair treatment and the like.

This is something that didn't exist in northern Ireland or in south Africa.

Your hatred for the snp is irrational and over the top. I would still count them as anti establishment in Scotland. They were taking on the full force of the establishment during the referendum campaign. It's a powerful beast.

What "rights" did I have in 1973 (the height of the Troubles) that Roman Catholics didn't have? How did they not have as equal a say in society as I had? How were they unfairly treated in comparison to me?

The Civil Rights legislation had all been enacted, and their bete noir - Stormont - had been prorogued.

Was murdering people and destroying businesses going to get them even more equal treatment.

The Troubles wasn't about Civil Rights by then, it was about a United Ireland. (Had the Provos succeeded in their quest, the united Ireland they intended to create may not have to the liking of the southerners either, never mind what northern protestants remained.)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

What "rights" did I have in 1973 (the height of the Troubles) that Roman Catholics didn't have? How did they not have as equal a say in society as I had? How were they unfairly treated in comparison to me?

The Civil Rights legislation had all been enacted, and their bete noir - Stormont - had been prorogued.

Was murdering people and destroying businesses going to get them even more equal treatment.

The Troubles wasn't about Civil Rights by then, it was about a United Ireland. (Had the Provos succeeded in their quest, the united Ireland they intended to create may not have to the liking of the southerners either, never mind what northern protestants remained.)

If they had succeeded in a united Ireland  in the 70s I'd say you could be talking about at least doubling the body count in all honesty, that would have been carnage.

35 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Arlene going to the funeral then, in fairness that's a tough call for her.

Yes, it was the only decision to make, imho, she couldn't have not gone, but it can't sit easy with her. I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that.

"So the sight of the DUP leader attending Mr McGuinness's funeral may be seen as an attempt by Mrs Foster belatedly to make amends.

As someone whose father was targeted and whose school bus was blown up by the IRA, it's understandable that Mrs Foster may have had to think hard about this decision."

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Yes, it was the only decision to make, imho, she couldn't have not gone, but it can't sit easy with her. I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that.

"So the sight of the DUP leader attending Mr McGuinness's funeral may be seen as an attempt by Mrs Foster belatedly to make amends.

As someone whose father was targeted and whose school bus was blown up by the IRA, it's understandable that Mrs Foster may have had to think hard about this decision."

Hopefully there'll be no paramilitary trappings at it , has been a few rumours knocking around about flags , emblems and so on but nothing more,the days of the dark glasses and volley of shots are hopefully a thing of the past.

You had the rights to jobs that they didn't have. Whether legislation was written or not means nothing if things don't change.

Catholics in northern Ireland were still being treated like shit.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

You had the rights to jobs that they didn't have. Whether legislation was written or not means nothing if things don't change.

What jobs were those then?

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Jobs based on religions happened on both sides . Certain companies never employed Catholics whereas on the other side certain companies never employed protestants . 

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

Jobs based on religions happened on both sides . Certain companies never employed Catholics whereas on the other side certain companies never employed protestants . 

...and the RoI wasn't exactly the land of milk and honey for Protestants from that sort of standpoint, so it wasn't only an NI thing either.

Expert analysis on the subject from Forever Blueco as usual.

41 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

When one mob has controlled society for a couple of hundred years and engineered circumstances to continue to be in their favour you'll find they're generally in a better position to hand out jobs.

6 minutes ago, The OP said:

When one mob has controlled society for a couple of hundred years and engineered circumstances to continue to be in their favour you'll find they're generally in a better position to hand out jobs.

Amen tae that :whistle

Archived