Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

3 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Absolutely no time for Paisley what so ever. However at least he never killed anyone.

I'd say more soldiers and civilians were killed due to the actions of Paisley than by the hand of McGuiness so neither have a clean slate really.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

I'd say more soldiers and civilians were killed due to the actions of Paisley than by the hand of McGuiness so neither have a clean slate really.

That's quite a big statement. Care to elaborate?

1 hour ago, edinabear said:

Not really many commentators believe that Paisley hard line ,

anti Catholic/Republican stance and refusal to get round a table with them for decades... Dragged the conflict on and on for years.

Not to mention his support for Loyalist groups, after all it was him that created the UPV who went on bombing campaigns because they disagreed with the government, He was a terrorist and a support just like MM

But what matters is the became close, even prayed together, and where never sidetracked by , apologies and forgiveness.

Bit of a joke the way David Trimble's role in the peace process seems to have been airbrushed from history. He sacrificed his own career and standing to get peace and swallowed some disgusting concessions for the greater good but is never now mentioned. Plus he didn't have the murderous history of mcguiness or irresponsible inflammatory one that Paisley had.

4 minutes ago, Mudder said:

Not really many commentators believe that Paisley hard line ,

anti Catholic/Republican stance and refusal to get round a table with them for decades... Dragged the conflict on and on for years.

Not to mention his support for Loyalist groups, after all it was him that created the UPV who went on bombing campaigns because they disagreed with the government, He was a terrorist and a support just like MM

But what matters is the became close, even prayed together, and where never sidetracked by , apologies and forgiveness.

I've heard of most of the alphabet soup of terrorist organisations, but this is a new one on me.

2 hours ago, edinabear said:

I've never gone for this concept that Paisley wasn't quite as bad because he hadn't actually killed anyone,he knew his actions helped fuel the hate that ran through this place for years , anyone putting him on a higher ground than McGuiness is deluded. As for MM I've no idea how many he actually killed,it could be dozens it mY be none, we'll never know .

McGuinness exits the scene and Parliament is subject to a terrorist attack almost immediately. Maybe he had more to do with keeping the peace than some will ever give him credit for...

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

A horrible lack of nuance that I wouldn't expect from you on such a serious topic.

Your politics always seems to take the side of those in power, and against those fighting it. Are there any justified terrorists in your book? And is there any issue where you don't take the establishment line?

I wasn't making a comment about Mcguinness and have deliberately avoided doing so.  My comment was in reply to the notion that "Yeah, one person's freedom fighter and all that..." which I regard as a dull-witted expression.  Some are, simply, terrorists.

On the broader question?  I believe in the ballot box rather than the armalite...so there are no good terrorists.  I also don't take the establishment line at all.  I was listening to Smug Eck on Radio 4 yesterday explaining how The SNP had become the centrist, Establishment party in Scotland, having taken over from Labour and how he had manipulated the party to adopt a particular politic line...and I despise him and his gang and the whole notion of 'Establishment'.

I am, of course, a one-nation Tory and believe in light Government, fiscal prudence and live and let live.  I ache at manipulative, on-message, don't rock the boat cabals such as the odious SNP.

I wasn't making a comment about Mcguinness and have deliberately avoided doing so.  My comment was in reply to the notion that "Yeah, one person's freedom fighter and all that..." which I regard as a dull-witted expression.  Some are, simply, terrorists.
On the broader question?  I believe in the ballot box rather than the armalite...so there are no good terrorists.  I also don't take the establishment line at all.  I was listening to Smug Eck on Radio 4 yesterday explaining how The SNP had become the centrist, Establishment party in Scotland, having taken over from Labour and how he had manipulated the party to adopt a particular politic line...and I despise him and his gang and the whole notion of 'Establishment'.
I am, of course, a one-nation Tory and believe in light Government, fiscal prudence and live and let live.  I ache at manipulative, on-message, don't rock the boat cabals such as the odious SNP.

Aye but you are an alky so nobody cares

All well and good about preferring the ballot box but terrorists are usually fighting for an equal say in society, fair treatment and the like.

This is something that didn't exist in northern Ireland or in south Africa.

Your hatred for the snp is irrational and over the top. I would still count them as anti establishment in Scotland. They were taking on the full force of the establishment during the referendum campaign. It's a powerful beast.

22 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Your hatred for the snp is irrational and over the top. I would still count them as anti establishment in Scotland. They were taking on the full force of the establishment during the referendum campaign. It's a powerful beast.

It's a schoolboy error to see supporting an independent Scotland as being the same as supporting The Odious SNP.

It's a schoolboy error to see supporting an independent Scotland as being the same as supporting The Odious SNP.

But you support neither.

I'm not a particular fan of the snp but I fully support the cause of independence. I think there are thousands who agree with me on that point.

The snp are doing a decent job of running the country under the circumstances and are certainly promoting the cause of independence.

I'm not sure what point you're making?

Just now, pandarilla said:

But you support neither.

I'm relaxed about a post-Brexit independent Scotland and have said so plenty of times.  I do deprecate wee Nicola and the smug git, though.  I hope that the Scots Tories wake up and see my own view.

I wasn't raising any point...I was responding to your post about 'some people are terrorists'.  You then saw me as supporting the establishment.  I don't.  The SNP are very much Scotland's establishment and you can see their work in how 'on message' posters on here are.

Archived