Top 2 v Bottom 8

40 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Imagine suggesting Gary Oliver could get a place in our team ahead of Cummings. Never mind suggesting we chuck McGinn and Fyvie for a couple of Morton diddies. What a minter. 

How much worse an option than Holt? 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Oliver as a starter at Hibs oh ya fucker :lol:

In fairness, Morton do have a very good side and as the point made above, their midfield compliments each other really well.

But thinking that they'd get in our midfield ahead of McGinn, Fyvie or McGeouch is just borderline delusional.

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I remember when Morton fans told everyone that Dominic Shimmin was the best centre half in the First Division. They always seem to laughably overrate their own players when going through a good spell.

This is true, some Morton fans do have a tendency to massively overrate players. However, in Shimmin's case, on ability alone he was a ridiculously good player who should really never have ended up at this level in the first place. Unfortunately, he was also a complete bellend who believed stardom awaited him as a musician and he didn't have to pay much attention to football, meaning he spent months at every club he was with faking injuries as soon as he secured a contract longer than one year, which is why he ended up being punted by us and Dundee then found himself in some laughably shite regional English league. Total wasted talent.

4 hours ago, Zing. said:

Imagine suggesting Gary Oliver could get a place in our team ahead of Cummings. Never mind suggesting we chuck McGinn and Fyvie for a couple of Morton diddies. What a minter. 

Untill a few weeks ago brian fuckin graham was keeping cummings out your team .

Just let that sink in.

I wouldn't have Brian Graham as part of this Morton team but at the same time, an easy argument can be made for Keatings and Boyle ahead of him. For all of Oliver's hard work his final ball is still not good enough, and either one of those two would be equally effective at the very least.

Ross Forbes could be as shite at everything else as he wants to be as long as he stays as effective as he is. I wouldn't want him replaced by anybody, regardless of quality.

12 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

Just let that sink in.

Not exactly a like for like example...however Brian Graham has scored one less goal and played about 1000 minutes less than Oliver this season. So I'd still take him instead. Oliver wouldn't make our bench. 

30 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

Just let that sink in.

Except he wasn't....Brian Graham has started 3 games at most for us and has 4 goals to show for it! Martin Boyle was keeping him out of the team and he scored in nearly every game he started so it was justified! When his form dipped Cummings was brought back in, Graham had nothing to do with it!

Jamie Lindsay will be a future Scotland captain who is making his way up the career ladder while Fyvie, Mcginn and Mcgeough are all failures at higher levels and had to slink down to the Scottish championship to find their level.

No contest. Get in the fucking team Jamie.

This thread is going pretty much as I'd imagined. Every supporter of every club has an inflated idea of how good or bad their players are. This could of course come from watching them every week, but could also be supporters blindly backing their club on almost any issue. Personally, Cummings is the only Hibs player I'd have in our starting XI at the minute. I recognise that the likes of Fyvie, McGinn & McGregor are all leading players for this level, but at this moment in time could not be performing better than the likes of Lindsay, Murdoch or O'Ware. 

Similarly, I don't blame Hibs fans for not wanting Morton players in their starting XI at the minute. Perhaps if they were struggling and Morton were however many points clear it'd be different, but I can understand why they wouldn't swap the players right now regardless of their form. 

That being said, Gary Oliver is the best second striker in the league and shouldn't really be judged on his QOTS or Hearts days. He has came on leaps and bounds in a short space of time. Much like Gunning, Murdoch or even Quitongo shouldn't be judged on their previous stints with gubbins teams.

Gary Oliver is an excellent player at this level. He probably wouldn't get in the Hibs team but I certainly wouldn't have any other player in the league ahead of him in the position he plays. He's a much better player than the one that was at Queens or Hearts.

Archived