Top 2 v Bottom 8

10 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Also, Hibs fans would try make a case for Lionel Messi not getting in their team if they were so asked to. 

No we wouldn't.  Like Kris Commons he would fit right in. 

Gary fucking Oliver :lol: 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SuperTon said:

Gary Oliver is an excellent player at this level. He probably wouldn't get in the Hibs team but I certainly wouldn't have any other player in the league ahead of him in the position he plays. He's a much better player than the one that was at Queens or Hearts.

So he's basically this seasons John Baird? 

3 minutes ago, SuperTon said:

Literally just said he wouldn't get in your team and you're all still raging about the suggestion :lol:

Wooooosssshhhhhh

You're the only sane one although you did just make an ass of you and me. 

18 minutes ago, SuperTon said:

Gary Oliver is an excellent player at this level. He probably wouldn't get in the Hibs team but I certainly wouldn't have any other player in the league ahead of him in the position he plays. He's a much better player than the one that was at Queens or Hearts.

The idea that Gary Oliver is better than Dobbie is hysterical to be honest no matter how much he's improved in 6 months.

30 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

This thread is going pretty much as I'd imagined. Every supporter of every club has an inflated idea of how good or bad their players are. This could of course come from watching them every week, but could also be supporters blindly backing their club on almost any issue. Personally, Cummings is the only Hibs player I'd have in our starting XI at the minute. I recognise that the likes of Fyvie, McGinn & McGregor are all leading players for this level, but at this moment in time could not be performing better than the likes of Lindsay, Murdoch or O'Ware. 

Similarly, I don't blame Hibs fans for not wanting Morton players in their starting XI at the minute. Perhaps if they were struggling and Morton were however many points clear it'd be different, but I can understand why they wouldn't swap the players right now regardless of their form. 

That being said, Gary Oliver is the best second striker in the league and shouldn't really be judged on his QOTS or Hearts days. He has came on leaps and bounds in a short space of time. Much like Gunning, Murdoch or even Quitongo shouldn't be judged on their previous stints with gubbins teams.

Altogether far too sensible for this thread but John McGinn is a full international. Again, the idea he's not performing better than Jamie Lindsay and Andy Murdoch is bizarre. Whilst allowing for Gordon Strachan  playing a wee bit of personal favourites, I am yet to see any serious suggestion of Lindsay or Murdoch being called up to the Scotland squad.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The idea that Gary Oliver is better than Dobbie is hysterical to be honest no matter how much he's improved in 6 months.

Altogether far too sensible for this thread but John McGinn is a full international. Again, the idea he's not performing better than Jamie Lindsay and Andy Murdoch is bizarre. Whilst allowing for Gordon Strachan  playing a wee bit of personal favourites, I am yet to see any serious suggestion of Lindsay or Murdoch being called up to the Scotland squad.

Is it? I don't see how McGinn has been that much better. 

Oliver needs to prove he can maintain it consistently, but if he continues to play as he has for the last three months or so until the end of the season he'll have earned the right to be considered one of the best players in the division. On the other hand, we could list literally hundreds of players who've had a few good months then never managed to reproduce that form again even when staying at this level, never mind progressing to a higher one.

As Oliver's still only 21 I'm hopeful he's more likely to continue improving than have a John Baird style career trajectory, but as much as I'm enjoying watching him play for us just now we shouldn't get carried away. It's an exciting and welcome change to have so many promising youngsters at the club at once so the optimism about their futures is understandable, but if they were all better than Hibs players already than we wouldn't be 11 points behind them.

We have already rejected one offer for Oliver, albeit that was mainly due to Lee Clark being a panicking mess who was attempting the tried and tested 'sign anyone who has a great game against you' method having unsurprisingly failed miserably with the English Leagues 1 & 2 loanees method. Still, it'd be no surprise to see more interest in the summer if he maintains this form.

36 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I was by no means Oliver's biggest fan at the start of the season, but he now plays an integral part in a much, much better team by linking play with the centre forward and creating acres of space for our midfielders to rampage into from deep areas. He's not the same type of attacking player as Dobbie, so it's a nonsensical comparison. 

Which is just as well for you really - given that Oliver was instrumental in demolishing your rabble 5-0 on your own midden; while, as the aggregate score of 6-0 suggests, puffing mess Dobbie has spent all 180 minutes in the back pocket of Thomas O'Ware, merely the third best centre-back to have played for The Famous in this campaign.

Just let that sink in. 

bermondsey-sq-gregg.jpg

2 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Wouldn't be hard. We're fucking shite. Still wouldn't get on the hibs bench and certainly not in a bottom 8 side you rambling mess :lol:

Correct falkirk are shite most of that is down to the manager fucking up the team selections though.

A rambling mess = the falkirk support last saturday.

If I thought a player from any other team was better than what we have I'd have no problems saying it.  If we reverted to playing a game where we rely on our full backs for attacking width I'd have Russell from Morton over Stevenson no problem (although he has been better recently).  I wouldn't mind some Morton players over our squad players either, O'Ware over Fontaine for instance, but even at that if I had the choice of CH's in this division to replace him with I'd pick Grant from Falkirk!  However, if both of our squads were fully fit there is not one Morton player I would have in the Hibs starting 11.

The suggestion that Gary Oliver would get anywhere near starting 11 is laughable though, Cummings, Keatings and Boyle would all get a start over him! In the period Boyle was playing every week for us he started 7 games (6 as a striker) and scored 5 goals, which is the same as Oliver, and he's the most frustrating striker of the three of them!!

We currently sit 11 points clear of Morton. I'm sure that's enough to show that our players are currently vastly superior to what they have to offer. 

I'm sure wee Gary will break the 10 goal mark soon. 

Archived