Fine companies for sexist dress codes

ICTChris

A committee of MPs has recommended that companies should be fined for having sexist dress codes.

The Women's and Equalities committee began an inquiry following the case of Nicola Thorp, who was sent home from a receptionists  job with PWC for not wearing high heels.  The committee also received reports, via an anonymous online forum, of women being told to dye their hair blonde and wear revealing clothes to work.

I don't have a dress code to my current job but I have worked in places with a strict dress code - I worked for an Investments company that required shirt and tie everywhere in the building at all times, although I don't know what the requirements for women were.  One guy came into work with a mohican and was sent home :lol:  

I don't think that many companies would have requirements for women to wear high heels and revealing clothes - it isn't going to do your staff any good in terms of morale and you'll end up losing good staff due it.

have any P&Bers ever been forced to wear high heels to work?

Have any P&Bers ever been sent home from work for inappropriate attire?

Do any P&Bers have an interesting dress code?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Requiring a woman to wear high heels seems a bit excessive, but I'd say it's comparable to requiring men to wear a tie.  I don't recall any legal challenges to requirements to wear a tie (for men only) on sexism grounds.

It's a difficult one and I'd interested to see if it turns out to be the thin end of a wedge that ends with challenges to any sort of restrictions on clothing or appearance.

8 knew a girl who was head waitress at a restaurant and she sent a girl home for having too short a skirt on.
I think in an office the dress code for things like shoes would just be don't wear trainers.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A colleague of mine, now sadly deceased, was sent home from work for wearing hot pants/short shorts.

Our office changed to a "Smart-casual" attire last year, there was a few people sent home for wearing short shorts in the first week of it i believe. 

I once worked in an office with a strict shirt and ties rule for the boy. Imagine my delight one Comic Relief day, when we were allowed to wear "our own clothes" in exchange for £2. 

Imagine my disdain when I still told to go home and change. 

Also.. Nicola Thorpe is an anagram of Carole Hot Nip.

have any P&Bers ever been forced to wear high heels to work?

Have any P&Bers ever been sent home from work for inappropriate attire?

Do any P&Bers have an interesting dress code?

VT wears high heels in his office. Other than that, unsure.

boxoffice.jpg

50 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Requiring a woman to wear high heels seems a bit excessive, but I'd say it's comparable to requiring men to wear a tie.  I don't recall any legal challenges to requirements to wear a tie (for men only) on sexism grounds.

It's a difficult one and I'd interested to see if it turns out to be the thin end of a wedge that ends with challenges to any sort of restrictions on clothing or appearance.

High heels can be painful or cause injury though. A tie is unlikely to unless someone wants to strangle you.

One of the big banks (I think it was UBS) had their dress code leaked a while ago, and it was ludicrous for both sexes, but particularly for women. It went as far as suggesting what kind of underwear people should be wearing and what they should have for lunch, and this was to work in a bank!

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Age/sex of this colleague (at the time)?

Late 20s, early 30s, female.  She was a great person and was very attractive - she could've been a model.  Very sad that she died.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

VT wears high heels in his office. Other than that, unsure.

WTM style stalking IMO.

2 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

High heels can be painful or cause injury though. A tie is unlikely to unless someone wants to strangle you.

One.of the big banks (I think it was UBS had their dress code leaked a while ago, and it was ludicrous for both sexes, but particularly for women. It went as far as suggesting what kind of underwear people should be wearing and what they should have for lunch, and this was to work in a bank!

Yeah, I don't like wearing ties but I can do it without hurting myself.  I do always feel sorry for Brian Taylor on Reporting Scotland though, a man of this generous proportions shouldn't have to wear a tie.  

When the DSS merged with the Jobcentre to become DWP/Jobcentreplus there were various strikes and nonsense to do with working in unscreened ofiices but  part of the hassle was dress code.

Jobcentre was shirt and tie and DSS was 'smart casual', but was more scruffy as f**k (if your arse wasn't hanging out your jeans and the slogan on your Tshirt wasn't offensive you were fine).DWP tried to impose shirt and tie but they way they did it was stupid.

In my office a manager walked round and handed all the males a corporate tie and said 'you don't have to wear this tie but you must wear a tie. (lots of ridiculous childish behaviour ensued, purple tie with orange shirt, red tie with green shirt, comedy ties and looking stupid just to piss off managers - I excelled at this with a drawer in my desk at work full of about 25 ties that I would trawl through in the morning to find the tie that least went with my shirt every morning0.

For the females the manager went round and handed out corporate scarfs, and said you don't have to wear but new code is smart.

So the situation was a female could go to Primark buy a plain black Polo shirt and plain black trousers and meet dress code,

but a male that went to Primark and bought a plain black Polo shirt and plain black trousers did not meet dress code.

Think it was eventually deemed sexist against males to force to wear a tie

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

You reckon wearing a tie is equivalent to being forced to wear high heels?

There is no excuse for such blatant nonsense in the workplace.

Smart dress when you are meeting clients doesnt mean suit, tie or high heels. There is absolutely no logic in the idea that you must wear things like that to be "professional".

Personally I wouldnt work in an environment which required a suit.

Good job the bin lorries provide you with a boiler suit then, sans tie.

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

One of the big banks (I think it was UBS) had their dress code leaked a while ago, and it was ludicrous for both sexes, but particularly for women. It went as far as suggesting what kind of underwear people should be wearing and what they should have for lunch, and this was to work in a bank!

Was definitely UBS. I recall something about encouraging people to wear skin coloured under wear and to avoid eating garlic, amongst other things.

Our office is directly across the street from UBS, while they aren't quite as strict as they used to be, they still have to turn up suited and booted. The women tend to look tremendous.

My current employer has no dress code as such, but if you turn up in shorts or trackies or a football top you will likely be sent home. Smart casual I suppose would be the description. Absolutely magic not having to wear a shirt and tie every day.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

My current employer has no dress code as such, but if you turn up in shorts or trackies or a football top you will likely be sent home. Smart casual I suppose would be the description. Absolutely magic not having to wear a shirt and tie every day.

I usually go with a polo top and jeans, but its brilliant being able to just chuck on a t-shirt without fear of a telling off from bosses. I love smart casual dress codes. 

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I usually go with a polo top and jeans, but its brilliant being able to just chuck on a t-shirt without fear of a telling off from bosses. I love smart casual dress codes. 

Pretty much standard, jeans and a polo top or short sleeved shirt. Strange thing in here is that the different departments actually have their own dress code. Clearing team is smart casual, client service team is trousers and a shirt, and the trading team have to go full business suite. Can look a bit odd when you have a meeting covering several teams at the same time.

Archived