Fine companies for sexist dress codes

ICTChris

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'm not a fan of the look where folk dress up smart for work then wear a pair of running shoes, presumably to change into their smart shoes at work. Looks a bit trampy.

The reason for this by and large is for comfort and possibly to extend the life of smart shoes. I don't think it's fair to say it looks trampy when there's a practical reason for it.

Always worked in companies that expected employees to wear trousers and a shirt and tie, so I did that for about 30 years without a second thought. Really wasn't a hardship and certainly wouldn't see why anyone would get upset about it. By the same token, women were also expected to dress suitably.

Some might ask to define suitably but strangely enough in my 30 years I don't recall seeing or hearing about anyone not managing to decide this for themselves. Then again, we were all adults.

Feeling like I would like to piss off my idiot of a boss at the time I was once tempted to turn up to work in a kilt on the grounds that there was nothing in the dress codes against it.

Sloth and the fact that I don't own a kilt prevented this cunning plan from being carried out.

2 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

High heels can be painful or cause injury though. A tie is unlikely to unless someone wants to strangle you.

Ties can get caught in machinery, although I appreciate not many machine operators wear ties these days. 

Most medics don't wear ties because ties have been shown to harbour harmful bacteria.

57 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'm not a fan of the look where folk dress up smart for work then wear a pair of running shoes, presumably to change into their smart shoes at work. Looks a bit trampy.

Needs a definition of "smart shoes" IMO.

32 minutes ago, gkneil said:

The reason for this by and large is for comfort and possibly to extend the life of smart shoes. I don't think it's fair to say it looks trampy when there's a practical reason for it.

It's up there with wearing pyjamas to do the school run/shopping.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah, I don't like wearing ties but I can do it without hurting myself.  I do always feel sorry for Brian Taylor on Reporting Scotland though, a man of this generous proportions shouldn't have to wear a tie.  

Brian Taylor can't wear a tie and a belt on the same day or he looks like sausages.

3 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

High heels can be painful or cause injury though. A tie is unlikely to unless someone wants to strangle you.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You reckon wearing a tie is equivalent to being forced to wear high heels?

I think it's a very good comparison actually.  Some men get rashes or skin tags by wearing a tie, and wearing a tie too tight can cause issues due to an increase in pressure to the head.  On the other hand, plenty of women don't have much of an issue with wearing high heels and indeed many would choose to do so regardless of dress codes at work.

Smart dress when you are meeting clients doesnt mean suit, tie or high heels. There is absolutely no logic in the idea that you must wear things like that to be "professional".

I agree with this bit of your post.  

4 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I think it's a very good comparison actually.  Some men get rashes or skin tags by wearing a tie, and wearing a tie too tight can cause issues due to an increase in pressure to the head.

That is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. Is that what happened to you?

52 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Ties can get caught in machinery, although I appreciate not many machine operators wear ties these days. 

Good point.  My dad got his tie caught in a big office shredder at work and nearly got strangled.  This was at least 30 years ago so it didn't have the safety features that they do these days.  I wore the half shredded tie at school on a charity wear a different tie day. 

The tie comparison seems fair enough, but only if referring to situations where men are told to wear one thing and women are not, as that can be perceived to be sexist. Slight headache though if women have to wear skirts, perhaps this is why the kilt was invented?

33 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I think it's a very good comparison actually.  Some men get rashes or skin tags by wearing a tie, and wearing a tie too tight can cause issues due to an increase in pressure to the head.  On the other hand, plenty of women don't have much of an issue with wearing high heels and indeed many would choose to do so regardless of dress codes at work.

I agree with this bit of your post.  

How can you get a rash or skin tags from wearing a tie? It doesn't touch your skin, unless you're a Chippendale and wearing a tie without a shirt?

Also, if it is so tight it is causing pressure on your head then you don't know how to tie a tie.

Ludicrous comparison.

Only thing I have at my work is that men have to wear a shirt and tie, women only have to wear a shirt or blouse, no tie. It irritates me slightly as I cannot stand ties. I don't understand their purpose. Completely pointless pieces of attire, particularly as I prefer short sleeved shirts but a short sleeved shirt and a tie looks ridiculous so I find myself wearing long sleeves just so it doesn't look too stupid.

When I moved from the shop floor into the office I was just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. My boss pulled me aside one day and told me that he couldn't put me in front of customers dressed like that and that from now on I would need to wear a shirt with dress trousers. Didn't really think anything of it and came in the next week with said shirt and trousers on. I was standing in the canteen one morning and one of my mates makes a wee joke about the way I'm dressed to which I replied "Aye I've been told I need to dress like this now so they can tell me apart from you tool monkeys", the HR manager overheard this and asked me for a quick word. She said that if I'd been told I had to wear a shirt and trousers every day then I'd been wrongly informed, I can wear casual clothes unless I have a meeting arranged with customers at which point I would need to wear a shirt and trousers. I came in the next day with my casual clothes on and nothing has ever been said since. I've always found it weird that my boss wanted me to wear that every day despite company policy saying differently.

On the subject of short sleeve shirts, I think they look woeful and seem to be worn solely by creeps. There's a guy in here who wears a white short sleeve shirt with a white t-shirt on underneath it, he's definitely for the watching.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

On the subject of short sleeve shirts, I think they look woeful and seem to be worn solely by creeps. There's a guy in here who wears a white short sleeve shirt with a white t-shirt on underneath it, he's definitely for the watching.

Absolutely correct.

Archived