Fish Shaggers v Sheep Shaggers

Where do they find these refs and linesmen? Week on week we see inconsistent and in some cases incompetent refereeing that can and often does change the outcome of the match and linesmen who clearly do not understand the offside rule. Seems that a defender just needs to claim offside for it to be given.

That said we did not look like a promotion winning side today, too many poor performances throughout the team. With the wind behind us in the first half I don't remember Adam having to make a save. Not much improvement in the second half and on the few times that the wide players got in a position to cross the ball there was only one of our players in a box full of defenders. Skelly wasn't at his best but replacing him with Kader didn't improve things. 

All in all another dismal day at Gayfield, it looks like Forfar have the title wrapped up. Elgin have 2 games in hand and it wouldn't be a surprise to see them overtake us. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Honestly mate was nowhere near the ball and foot/studs well over it I couldn't have been better placed.

Also think they got the scorer wrong sure it was Peters that scored and not Travis

This all day long. Hodge should have walked for that foul.

Announcer got it wrong, it was Peters that scored.

Would need to see the highlights with regards to your pen claim, but saying that Denholm was fouled in the 2nd half. Might have been a soft pen claim but I've seen them given for less.

All in all, I thought we edged it today and deserved the win.

Where do they find these refs and linesmen? Week on week we see inconsistent and in some cases incompetent refereeing that can and often does change the outcome of the match and linesmen who clearly do not understand the offside rule. Seems that a defender just needs to claim offside for it to be given.

That said we did not look like a promotion winning side today, too many poor performances throughout the team. With the wind behind us in the first half I don't remember Adam having to make a save. Not much improvement in the second half and on the few times that the wide players got in a position to cross the ball there was only one of our players in a box full of defenders. Skelly wasn't at his best but replacing him with Kader didn't improve things. 

All in all another dismal day at Gayfield, it looks like Forfar have the title wrapped up. Elgin have 2 games in hand and it wouldn't be a surprise to see them overtake us. 

Another dismal day.. 3 defeats all season at Gayfield min cheer up. Hard one to take though but if players have that attitude we're fucked! It's a set back but got to keep going.

In regards to Elgin... IF we finish 2nd then would we not be away on a Wednesday night then home on a Saturday? A midweek trip to Elgin wouldn't be much of an advantage. [emoji51]

Honestly mate was nowhere near the ball and foot/studs well over it I couldn't have been better placed.

Also think they got the scorer wrong sure it was Peters that scored and not Travis

In that case he was lucky. I was more concerned about Swankie being unmarked at the back post to notice who scored so just took the anouncer word for it. It was a poor performance by both teams and if Ferns had taken his chance I would have been happy with 1 1. That's the reason were 2nd and not close though we just don't score enough goals.

What a shoal of pissed off haddocks. Just remember, the ref did not beat you Forfar did. Ok, I agree the first half penalty claim was a stonewaller, but other than that, given the conditions, the ref had a good game. He played the advantage excellently for both sides, and allowed for the weather, which an awful lot of referees seem incapable of. Other than that, I thought Forfar were the better side overall, and to be honest, I don't think Arbroath would have scored if they had played until closing time. Just one of those games where it just is not going to happen. Thankfully!

Your first sentence is spot on. From a Loons pov, the decisions from the dugout lino were dreadful, more than once he waved for offside when Forfar were clean through and onside.
Second half the other lino was so far behind the play, Swankie must've near 4 yards offside and he didn't raise his flag. Not the first decision he got wrong in the second half.

What a shoal of pissed off haddocks. Just remember, the ref did not beat you Forfar did. Ok, I agree the first half penalty claim was a stonewaller, but other than that, given the conditions, the ref had a good game. He played the advantage excellently for both sides, and allowed for the weather, which an awful lot of referees seem incapable of. Other than that, I thought Forfar were the better side overall, and to be honest, I don't think Arbroath would have scored if they had played until closing time. Just one of those games where it just is not going to happen. Thankfully!

Jesus Dipsy, do you watch the same games as everyone else. The ref was woeful for both sides and most certainty didn't take the conditions into consideration, constantly blowing for fouls when both sides had to challenge for high dropping balls. He got a clear penalty wrong, only yards from him and Hodge's foul has been outlawed for years.

How did McLaughlin do?

As another poster mentioned, I think he'll do well on the Station Park surface. I certainly won't be judging him on today's performance. His 3 corners were poor, he played one good cross field pass to Coxy, that ended up with the defender on his backside and Coxy in a bit of space. Another cross field ball had a great shape to it but was over hit. The overhead conditions were not good and it was a fairly hurly burly derby so there's plenty more time to get a better look at him.

I seem to be in a minority of one by thinking that we didn't play overly well today. Bain was caught out a few times and didn't seem to like being up against Linn. Not seen the highlights obviously but TOB may have gotten away with a couple of challenges which on another day could have been penalised. ( I reserve the right to change my mind if the highlights prove otherwise though [emoji4] ) 2 magnificent saves apart, Adam's kicking (in the first half especially) was dire. Best move of the first half resulted in our goal, the rest of the half saw the ball sailing through the air from punted clearance after punted clearance.

More accurate long balls in the second half out wide helped us turn the Arbroath defence.

Announcer got it wrong, it was Peters that scored.

Yep, right in front of me and unfortunately I had Travis as 1st goal scorer. Was convinced the tannoy announcer was just taking the piss!

On the highlights, stonewaller penalty, red would have been harsh on the double jeopardy bollocks.  Hodge's tackle, probably a red, but yellows have been dished out for these.  Ferns's falling over in the box, just laughable.

MOTM? Take your pick from Travis, TOB or Danny, with special mentions to the keeper for the one on one save and Cox for running himself into the ground yet again and winding up the opposition at any given chance. 

Didn't think there was anything between the teams very few chances for either team but Forfar took one of theirs,ref was a joke btw,league over well done Forfar.
No trouble either with the no seggy who would of thought eh[emoji47].

7 hours ago, dee_62 said:

As another poster mentioned, I think he'll do well on the Station Park surface. I certainly won't be judging him on today's performance. His 3 corners were poor, he played one good cross field pass to Coxy, that ended up with the defender on his backside and Coxy in a bit of space. Another cross field ball had a great shape to it but was over hit. The overhead conditions were not good and it was a fairly hurly burly derby so there's plenty more time to get a better look at him.

In his few appearances in the first team his deliveries weren't as consistently good as the u20s and I put that down to adjusting to the pace of the game and being a bit outside the comfort zone.  He'll improve as he settles down I reckon. 

6 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

On the highlights, stonewaller penalty, red would have been harsh on the double jeopardy bollocks.  Hodge's tackle, probably a red, but yellows have been dished out for these.  Ferns's falling over in the box, just laughable.

MOTM? Take your pick from Travis, TOB or Danny, with special mentions to the keeper for the one on one save and Cox for running himself into the ground yet again and winding up the opposition at any given chance. 

Thought Travis was top for us, first game back at centre half and he strolled it, him and TOB should be a cracking pairing.

The ref was poor but we can't blame him. We weren't at the races at all

Wasn't blaming the ref for the defeat although it would be nice to get a competent one once in a while,this game was like the last one we played Forfar nothing in it but they got the goal this time, we had as many chances as them.

Archived