Lions Watch 2017

John Lambies Doos

I hate doing this(saying how players of different eras would for into the current lineup) as the difference in both the squads of these eras are so drastically different, especially in the backs. But if I had to guess I'd say he would most likely be on the bench in the peter Horne utility back place. You never know though, with better ayers surrounding him in this current team maybe he could've had less pressure on him to perform and carry the team and improve as a player? We'll just never know. He'll always be that goal kicking machine we shunted around the backs just to see if we could find any other player who wasn't a talentless fud in orange gloves(excluding Sean Lamont) .

Was such a waste not to develop him as a ten right at start of his senior career....that said he would have been passing to some utter jobbers....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lads I can't agree that Paterson(great servant) would get near a Scotland 22.
We naturally see Ireland and Wales as our main rivals and are pissed off that we a don't have more Lions. Do we truly believe that Patterson would make a Wales or Ireland 22.
Great servant but way off current standards

Bit harsh on Patterson in my opinion. He was a brilliant broken field runner when he was younger (check out Calcutta Cup in 2005) and scored 20+ tries for Scotland in a period when we were routinely dogshit. He was touted for the 2005 Lions by some.

Interesting according to wiki that he is in both top three most capped Scottish FBs and wings, and lost in excess of 60 matches playing for Scotland. 

Looking back at some squads and there are some names I have zero recollection of having played for us, or indeed who the f*ck they actually were. 

Bit harsh on Patterson in my opinion. He was a brilliant broken field runner when he was younger (check out Calcutta Cup in 2005) and scored 20+ tries for Scotland in a period when we were routinely dogshit. He was touted for the 2005 Lions by some.
Interesting according to wiki that he is in both top three most capped Scottish FBs and wings, and lost in excess of 60 matches playing for Scotland. 
Looking back at some squads and there are some names I have zero recollection of having played for us, or indeed who the f*ck they actually were. 

Not disputing that; but the question is would he make it into a current Scotland 22. No chance

Paterson was a decent player. His season leading up to Lions 2005 was pretty good but it would be difficult to claim he was good enough in that company. There was a huge amount of back 3 talent in the 2005 squad despite the 3 horsings they got from NZ.

Excellent goalkicker, decent international player, but would I have him ahead of Hogg, Seymour, Maitland, Taylor? Doubtful. His goalkicking would maybe get him in ahead of Visser's defence.

Lads I can't agree that Paterson(great servant) would get near a Scotland 22.
We naturally see Ireland and Wales as our main rivals and are pissed off that we a don't have more Lions. Do we truly believe that Patterson would make a Wales or Ireland 22.
Great servant but way off current standards

Not as a fullback....but ahead of Biggar or sexton....I think had he been kept at ten he would have been better than both of those beige b*****ds....sru threw away huge potential there. That said whilst he was nowhere near Shane Williams....Williams showed that a small lightweight jaggy back 3 player could be deadly effective....sadly we rarely gave paterson the sort of possession sw got. He still made more linebreaks n carved out more try scoring chances than any Scottish player of his era. Fwiw most Welsh fans wanted Biggar dropped for Davies during 6n yet Biggar went to lions....crazy.

Not disputing that; but the question is would he make it into a current Scotland 22. No chance

Tbf guys like hardie harley toolis Bennett Scott Horne laidlaw struggle to make our 22 when everyone is fit....outside of 10 we have a superb set of options. Even Duncan Taylor was struggling to get into 6n squad....n he's fantastic to point that Eddie Jones was fuming that the rfu lost him to us.

Paterson was a decent player. His season leading up to Lions 2005 was pretty good but it would be difficult to claim he was good enough in that company. There was a huge amount of back 3 talent in the 2005 squad despite the 3 horsings they got from NZ.
Excellent goalkicker, decent international player, but would I have him ahead of Hogg, Seymour, Maitland, Taylor? Doubtful. His goalkicking would maybe get him in ahead of Visser's defence.

Agree with all that but.....if Neil Jenkins can start at 15 for lions in tests....then paterson could certainly have been a utility back for the lions dirttrackers

Tbf guys like hardie harley toolis Bennett Scott Horne laidlaw struggle to make our 22 when everyone is fit....outside of 10 we have a superb set of options. Even Duncan Taylor was struggling to get into 6n squad....n he's fantastic to point that Eddie Jones was fuming that the rfu lost him to us.

That's what I mean. Patterson was decent but would get nowhere near our 22...

That's what I mean. Patterson was decent but would get nowhere near our 22...

Yeah.....still rage that we missed him as 10....the old sru rugby forum n old fosrs site was full of guys talking bout how good he was at ten at youth / club rugby.......

5 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Agree with all that but.....if Neil Jenkins can start at 15 for lions in tests....then paterson could certainly have been a utility back for the lions dirttrackers

Timing is everything.

Paterson could have been a Test player in 97, but them's the breaks.

Timing is everything.
Paterson could have been a Test player in 97, but them's the breaks.

Indeed.....Scotland should have had 7 to 10 lions this time round but thanks to the coach being being stuck in the jurassic we have none whilst the lions toil horribly against the nz pre season warm up....

Just about to head off to the Auckland Fan Zone with my Kiwi girlfriend. Would have liked to have some Scots in the squad to get behind.

The weather has turned and it's a nice afternoon in Auckland, the sun is out and have clear skies.

Just about to head off to the Auckland Fan Zone with my Kiwi girlfriend. Would have liked to have some Scots in the squad to get behind.

The weather has turned and it's a nice afternoon in Auckland, the sun is out and have clear skies.

Enjoy! I was in Ibiza last week watching the second test and some arsehole sitting at the back of me shouted "come on England ". I just finished my pint and left. Think NZ will win but don't think it will be that one-sided. Quite an inexperienced team out.

Indeed.....Scotland should have had 7 to 10 lions this time round but thanks to the coach being being stuck in the jurassic we have none whilst the lions toil horribly against the nz pre season warm up....

I've been quite vocal on my feelings on clownshoes and in view his bias against the Scots boys. But I'm sorry, no coach in the world when given a lions squad to choose from the four home nations would have "7-10" Scots in it. Not even Gregor. A fairer reflection would be about 5.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The usual sickening, jingoistic build-up from Sky.

So, for the 3rd and last time...

'mon the All Blacks.

Guest Bob Mahelp

If the AB's get on top the whining from the Lions will ramp up, followed by the booing from their all so sporting fans. 

Archived