19. Scott Barrett (7)
20. Ardie Savea (15)
21. TJ Perenara (32) 
22. Aaron Cruden (49)
23. Malakai Fekitoa (23)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
British & Irish Lions (v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Saturday, July 1, 7.35pm NZST, 8.35am BST)
15. Liam Williams – Scarlets, Wales, #833
14. Anthony Watson – Bath Rugby, England, #816
13. Jonathan Davies – Scarlets, Wales, #778
12. Owen Farrell – Saracens, England, #780
11. Elliot Daly – Wasps, England, #822
10. Johnny Sexton – Leinster, Ireland, #791
9. Conor Murray – Munster, Ireland, #790

1. Mako Vunipola – Saracens, England, #787
2. Jamie George – Saracens, England, #819
3. Tadhg Furlong – Leinster, Ireland, #818
4. Maro Itoje – Saracens, England, #825
5. Alun Wyn Jones – Ospreys, Wales, #761
6. Sam Warburton (capt) – Cardiff Blues, Wales, #800
7. Sean O’Brien – Leinster, Ireland, #796
8. Taulupe Faletau – Bath Rugby, Wales, #779

Replacements:
16. Ken Owens – Scarlets, Wales, #829
17. Jack McGrath – Leinster, Ireland, #827
18. Kyle Sinckler – Harlequins, England, #814
19. Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
20. CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831
21. Rhys Webb – Ospreys, Wales, #820
22. Ben Te’o – Worcester Warriors, England, #815
23. Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828

Lions side same as last week

I know I and some others keep going on about the Scottish lads... but we have probably had the best crop of players for c. 16 yrs, yet I think this is the first time ever that we won't have had 1 of our lads in the test squads. Says it all really, we're pretty shite

10 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I know I and some others keep going on about the Scottish lads... but we have probably had the best crop of players for c. 16 yrs, yet I think this is the first time ever that we won't have had 1 of our lads in the test squads. Says it all really, we're pretty shite

1st time since 1908 (that tour was just English and Welsh players as they were the only unions that allowed players to go) that no Scottish player has played a test match 

Crotty still not being fit is a blow for them. Vunipola being a liability is a blow for us.

Regardless of the weather this week, I can't see the ABs going into their shells like they did in Wellington. Like the first two, it will either be ABs by 20 or Lions by less than 7. I'd favour the former right now.

Pretty sure only 2 teams have ever come from behind to win a Lions series - the Lions in Oz in 89, and Oz in 2001. 93 Lions were close, but can't see it changing this weekend.

It all feels a bit reminiscent of the run up to Twickenham this year in terms of the optimism coming from the media / btl comments on various sites talking up the Lions and the All Blacks' patchy form up to now.

I feel pretty ambivalent to the whole thing due to the lack of Scottish representation, so would probably chuckle if the Lions got pumped in a GIRUY to Gatland, Rowentree etc, but at the same time would be impressed if they won and have to say I really enjoyed both tests so far pretty much as a neutral.

I know the fact there's no Scottish test representation is directly as a result of Hogg's injury as he was a shoe in for full back. Even given that, Gatland can get to f**k. I hope they get smashed on Saturday. I know folk will disagree, but I just feel the Scottish lads never got a fair crack of the whip and given the leeway certain others were.

That being said they'll probably shitfest their way to either a close defeat or win and he'll be hailed as a hero.

It all feels a bit reminiscent of the run up to Twickenham this year in terms of the optimism coming from the media / btl comments on various sites talking up the Lions and the All Blacks' patchy form up to now.
I feel pretty ambivalent to the whole thing due to the lack of Scottish representation, so would probably chuckle if the Lions got pumped in a GIRUY to Gatland, Rowentree etc, but at the same time would be impressed if they won and have to say I really enjoyed both tests so far pretty much as a neutral.

Pretty much this.

I don't particularly like either team.

The ABs because they generally get away with murder at home (SBW's red being a rare exception) and the Lions because of Garland's tactics and selection policies (not just the Scots either).

40 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Pretty much this.

I don't particularly like either team.

The ABs because they generally get away with murder at home (SBW's red being a rare exception) and the Lions because of Garland's tactics and selection policies (not just the Scots either).

You're not in Kansas now Toto.

Gatland's made a mockery of the whole tour. He's spat the dummy because Scotland didn't let Townsend go as a coach. 

Hoggy would most likely have played at least 1 test but still you have top scorer on tour Seymour not even on bench.

Scotland have their best team for almost 20 years, 4th in the world and can't get 1 representative in the test squad? What a joke.

Gatland's made a mockery of the whole tour. He's spat the dummy because Scotland didn't let Townsend go as a coach. 
Hoggy would most likely have played at least 1 test but still you have top scorer on tour Seymour not even on bench.
Scotland have their best team for almost 20 years, 4th in the world and can't get 1 representative in the test squad? What a joke.

Scotland were prepared to let townsend go but it then transpired he wasn't going to be the attack coach but in fact howleys assistant....ie a token appointment and he rightly decided to prioritise the Scotland tour. Gatland had a huge huff about this hence his rant about the sru n subsequent ludicrous squad selection (not to mention his face during the Scotland Wales game)

Scotland were prepared to let townsend go but it then transpired he wasn't going to be the attack coach but in fact howleys assistant....ie a token appointment and he rightly decided to prioritise the Scotland tour. Gatland had a huge huff about this hence his rant about the sru n subsequent ludicrous squad selection (not to mention his face during the Scotland Wales game)

Yeh. Let's not forget this; Scotland beat the Welsh by 3 scores.

What's amusing is that Gatland played England game as his get out clause... ironic thing is that during the noughties Ireland got high representation but where regularly getting hockeyed by France. WC 2007 being a prime example.. yet they kept getting picked.

We knew Seymour wouldn't be making it onto the bench here having not made the second test, so taking the Scottish angle out of it... he still keeps Vunipola and AWJ in the XV? Really? Obviously there were multiple factors involved, but it's no coincidence the game only turned in the Lions' favour once those two were off. They've been liabilities all tour.

Barring another red card, NZ will surely get their act together and win this. Although I'm very surprised Barrett has kept his place after that horror show.

Yeh. Let's not forget this; Scotland beat the Welsh by 3 scores.

What's amusing is that Gatland played England game as his get out clause... ironic thing is that during the noughties Ireland got high representation but where regularly getting hockeyed by France. WC 2007 being a prime example.. yet they kept getting picked.

There's been times when both have shipped 50 + points regularly to sh teams in last two decades and still had healthy representation. We beat Wales n Ireland, nil Italy n beat Oz with almost half our 1st xv missing away from home and no one at all in the test squads?? Much as he is very punchable the Oz coach made a very good point when asked by a Scottish journo if they had underestimated the Scottish players.....Tom English reported that he snapped back saying they knew enough from previous encounters to respect our players fully and the only people talking down Scottish players were the nh media. Lots of people are saying hogg would defo have been picked but I don't really see it as a given. He's picking awj and Warburton over much much better players.....if he's prepared to leave guys like robshaw care n launchberry at home then there's no saying he would have picked hogg.eta just to touch on the paterson debate could he have done a job for the lions dirttrackers? Absolutely he could for me. He was a missed fly half chance due to clown shoes work from Sru but he did a reasonable job for Scotland in back three during a hellish period. Let's not forget that Neil Jenkins a mediocre ten, outstanding goalkicker and awful at fullback started at 15 v sa in 97. No one could claim he was a lions grade fullback but he started in the test team that tour. There's been plenty of guys from other home unions in last 20 years with lions jerseys that weren't really that good....it's just Scottish players that seem to have to be judged against a higher bar. Ryan grant himself said that there was unfair prejudice and he was within that environment not looking in like we all are

41 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Barring another red card, NZ will surely get their act together and win this. Although I'm very surprised Barrett has kept his place after that horror show.

Beauden Barrett is one of the best players in the world and was never going to get dropped. He's always been capable of having bad kicking games, last week wasn't anything especially new.

I'm pleased to see Jordie Barrett come into the team as he's been excellent in the league. I would expect Beauden to start the game with kicking duties but if he misses a couple Jordie, who's probably a better kicker, could easily taker over.

18 hours ago, printer said:

So now Chris Paterson wasn't a good player! emoji23.png

At the time he was good compared to the majority of players that Scotland had to pick from. The fact he was, (now beaten by Ross Ford) our highest cap winner says more about the standard of players we had to choose from over those years. Of the top of my head I could think of 6 or 7 Scotland players in each of Full back, Stand-off or wing that were / are significantly better than he was. 

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

At the time he was good compared to the majority of players that Scotland had to pick from. The fact he was, (now beaten by Ross Ford) our highest cap winner says more about the standard of players we had to choose from over those years. Of the top of my head I could think of 6 or 7 Scotland players in each of Full back, Stand-off or wing that were / are significantly better than he was. 

Were they better at kicking though? 

On another note Laidlaw is arguably the most consistent kicker in the lions squad and yet has hardly been given a shot at goal in any of the midweek games.

Archived