Ayr v St Mirren (the big one)

10 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Come on man we missed 3 great chances in the first half. Poor goalkeeping maybe but it was a great finish and the 2nd was even better.

We were miles ahead of Ayr today and that's not me being a p***k gloating.

That's part of my point that the fact is that you should have been about 2/3-0 up by half time but failed to take your chances, at least you can score.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I genuinely cannot see how we're going to turn this round, St Mirren absolutely horsed us today. As someone has previously said, we contributed absolutely nothing until we went 2-0 down. The lack of creativity and reading of the game was pathetic. Tactics couldn't have been more wrong to be honest, but tactics aren't the be all and end all. In reality, the players should be ashamed of what they put in today.

It's got to the stage that especially at home, it's predictable what is going to happen every week. Looking back on the game it would have probably been better if McCall hadn't changed it at half time cause Wardrope was hopeless as was the midfield with Cairny and Harkins beyond a joke, the latter especially

Thoroughly deserved win, and should have been more comfortable than it was.

Ayr are really poor though. How many times did they get a free kick, and hit a cross field ball straight out the park??

If we get our act together, we'll catch Ayr. I can't see them picking up too many points between now and the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

We are grasping at straws if you think we were only marginally worse than St Mirren today. They were miles above us in all departments.

Would say St Mirren are better than Dumbarton aswell.

First time this season we have played a team off the park. Total control as we were well up for it being the last chance saloon. Got to continue that in every game from now on to get us out of this mess but a rare happy Saturday.

Tremendous result. Still a long way to go but it at least gives us hope, which would have been killed off with anything but a win. Only thing that could have made it better was Falkirk beating Dumbarton.

Ayr were absolutely dreadful with only Nicky Devlin looking in the least bit interested. Right from the first whistle St Mirren looked hungrier and more committed. We had no gameplan, we had no shape and it soon became pretty clear that we had no hope. To only manage your first shot at goal in the 85th minute of possibly your most important home match of the season is just criminal. Although Harkins is getting pelters I wouldn't actually blame him as every time he gained possession he was being swamped and none of our players were giving him an angle for a pass. In fact our most exciting moment of the match came midway through the first half when Harkins beat 3 players before being dragged back.

Ayr always look better when we have people running at players with the ball, the game was crying out for McGuffie and even Forrest made us look far more dangerous when he appeared, however the style we are playing (whatever it may be) just isn't working and in all honesty we could have had Mauro Icardi up front today and he wouldn't have touched the ball either. 

As for St Mirren, they looked streets ahead of us today and thoroughly deserved their win. My only small gripe was the amount of cynical, niggly fouls which they committed and which Thomson ignored for the majority of the match but that aside the bottom line is that we were totally horrific............

That is a sorry excuse for an Ayr team. Not good enough all over the pitch.

Biggest concern... St Mirren wanted it more and it wasn't hard to see that. The boy McGinn is a smashing player.

As for us, I'm not sure how we turn this around. Second to every ball, not a single shot until the last 5 minutes, lack of spirit. Just absolutely shocking.

Struggling to take any positives. Well done St Mirren - deserved victory and could've been more.

The criticism of Fleming I presume is for the first goal. Yes he was a bit indecisive but Cairney created the problem with a horrendous pass to Wardrope.

Fleming saved us from a trouncing with three great saves. Both St Mirren goals came from a wasted Ayr free kick.

The more I think about the game, the worse it gets.

6 minutes ago, AUFC10 said:

The criticism of Fleming I presume is for the first goal. Yes he was a bit indecisive but Cairney created the problem with a horrendous pass to Wardrope.

Fleming saved us from a trouncing with three great saves. Both St Mirren goals came from a wasted Ayr free kick.

The more I think about the game, the worse it gets.

Fleming also got a good hand on the ball to deflect Smith's shot onto the post, i thought all in all he had a decent game.

Archived