• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't tend to churn out bright footballers as formal education in this country seems to fall by the wayside in the pursuit of a sporting ambition whereas far more successful sporting countries see the benefit of producing more intelligent sportspeople. The simple reason most Scottish players don't succeed beyond the comfort zone of their home environment is that they're a bit too dense.

Most of your post I agree with, but please don't generalise by grouping aspiring players in Scottish football development in the same intellectual demographic as Mr Brett. Both inaccurate and insulting in my experience of development players. I'm sure you didn't mean that, but that's how it reads.

24 minutes ago, A Believer said:

Most of your post I agree with, but please don't generalise by grouping aspiring players in Scottish football development in the same intellectual demographic as Mr Brett. Both inaccurate and insulting in my experience of development players. I'm sure you didn't mean that, but that's how it reads.

Sadly there are a high percentage . Always has been always will be. Quite a few  even make it to the top level  as well. 

Brett doesn't strike me as being very bright. He doesn't strike me as being a master criminal or a bigoted zealot either and I therefore understand the comments of him being a "decent lad". Twitter gives him the oxygen of publicity that not so long ago he wouldn't have had. What in life has equipped Brett to be a public figure? Most of us will be posting on here from work (where we probably had to stick in a school, get further qualifications etc), or are students being lazy barstewards instead of studying. It's easy for us to say "you shouldn't say this or that", having had the benefits of a reasonable education and being the sort to actively seek out debate on a site like this.
We don't tend to churn out bright footballers as formal education in this country seems to fall by the wayside in the pursuit of a sporting ambition whereas far more successful sporting countries see the benefit of producing more intelligent sportspeople. The simple reason most Scottish players don't succeed beyond the comfort zone of their home environment is that they're a bit too dense. We as a society churn out these grown up babies. Brett seems like a product of the system and for that reason I'd struggle to be too hard on him.

Walk onto a building site and there's a similar percentage of grown up babies who are similarly as thick. Great joiners and builders etc but zero common sense.

Dean Brett isn't an arrogant mouthpiece because of 'the system', he's an arrogant mouthpiece because he chooses to be. He got the same education as everybody else, he wasn't plucked at the education system from the age of 12 and made to play football.

Fair enough if someone has been dragged up by shite parents who are terrible influences. Someone who has had a 'normal' upbringing and similar education to the rest of us deserves zero excuses and/or sympathy and it has absolutely f**k all to do with the system.

48 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Walk onto a building site and there's a similar percentage of grown up babies who are similarly as thick. Great joiners and builders etc but zero common sense.

Dean Brett isn't an arrogant mouthpiece because of 'the system', he's an arrogant mouthpiece because he chooses to be. He got the same education as everybody else, he wasn't plucked at the education system from the age of 12 and made to play football.

Fair enough if someone has been dragged up by shite parents who are terrible influences. Someone who has had a 'normal' upbringing and similar education to the rest of us deserves zero excuses and/or sympathy and it has absolutely f**k all to do with the system.

That's sort of part of my point - he's an ordinary, not very bright lad who just happens to have stuck in at football and with that comes extra scrutiny and he doesn't seem to have to wit to handle it.

That's sort of part of my point - he's an ordinary, not very bright lad who just happens to have stuck in at football and with that comes extra scrutiny and he doesn't seem to have to wit to handle it.

I mean I could see your point had he been removed from school at a young age to chase a footballing dream but he got the exact same education as me or you. If he left school early that was his own choice.

In a way I see what you mean regarding extra scrutiny but that's one of the downfalls of being in a position most guys dream of, being a footballer. Thing is, the extra scrutiny around him is at the lowest end of the scale, he plays part-time with Cowden. Not THAT many folk really care about players who play for Cowden, or Dumbarton for that matter.

1 hour ago, Yellow Feet said:

Eagerly awaiting an announcement from Cowdownbeath

Announcement is you are a cock. Go and lick a bag of skips to improve your breath because it must be honking the amount of shite that comes out of it.

Archived