Email etiquette at work.

TheScarf

I am occassionaly in my office as its based down south and just go in for qtr reviews sales service meeting ect
The emails I hate to get when they are sent to all staff are stuff like
who has ate my sandwich from the fridge
Who has the keys for some pool car
there is a fire alarm test today at 3p/m  blah blah
complaints about housekeeping in the canteen
I DONT FUCKING CARE TO ALL OF THE ABOVE ......

Frank from some department you have absolutely no dealings with will be leaving on Friday. We(again you have no idea who this is) are going for drinks at some shitty bar. All welcome...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit I don't get the moaning about mass emails (although admittedly I don't work for a particularly large organization). The only time they annoy me is when the title is something ambiguous (like the name of a client rather than 'missing file') or misuse of the word 'URGENT'. When titled correctly they're easy enough to delete without reading. And going out for drinks without inviting every c**t is a minefield.

I use 'kind regards' on all external emails I send.  Then 'many thanks' on internal.

I did flirt with the idea of going down the route of using 'super thanks' in an email once for a laugh.  Like that dick in that Inbetweeners episode with the fashion show.

26 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I use 'kind regards' on all external emails I send.  Then 'many thanks' on internal.

I did flirt with the idea of going down the route of using 'super thanks' in an email once for a laugh.  Like that dick in that Inbetweeners episode with the fashion show.

That would have been wheely good.

Best Regards on emails to clients, cheers on emails to colleague. I write though, as this morning I sent my first email with no "cheers" just my name. After three emails with the same instruction, a colleague asked if they should do that. "Hi colleague, please do. Me". I felt like I'd really made my point, how depressing. (Names retracted due to weirdos).

I get literally thousands of emails, it's a total pain in the arse.  I need to keep a lot of them as they are notifications and informational so I have to file them.  I spend the first 15 minutes of every day doing it, sometimes longer.  If I'm busy or forget then it gets out of hand and I've soon for 1000 unread.

I think emails can be a drain.  We use them for notifications so they can be useful for that but a lot of the emails that I receive are emails that are sent for the sake of being sent rather than anything else.  People send emails so if someone asks them what they've done about an issue or a piece of work they say "well I wrote a brief and emailed it to all these people" and it kicks responsibility down the line to these other people.  That happened a huge amount in my former job, in a large bank.

You don't really need to use email to share information - you can use something like Dropbox to do that, and if you need to contact someone then you can use Skype or another messaging app, or phone them or just walk up to their desk and speak to them.  I think emails are already outdated - most young people communicate using messenger apps and social media rather than long, letter-type emails.  It's an example of technology perhaps creating non-productive tasks rather than making things easier.

here's an internview with the head of Atos about banning email - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16055310

ETA - all the developers in my current work use Slack to communicate and that is far more effective at sharing information than email.

On 26.2.2017 at 09:53, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

The real question here is what's the sign-off of choice? I usually go for a 'kind regards', but I've been known to jazz things up with a 'many thanks' on occasion.

Depends on who I am dealing with and what we are dealing with. Varies from Kind Regards, to Regards, to Thanks depending on how much someone has fucked up or delayed what is being done. Occasional Freundlich Grusse if I'm trying to pretend I can speak German.

22 hours ago, sjc said:

Its called "arse covering" in the same way a memo is written for the protection of the writer not the benefit of the receiver.

Pretty much this. No matter what anyone in here does or says, irrespective of the fact the phones are recorded, everything has to have an email before or afterwards to ensure there is no dubiety about anything and if there is then the other person is to blame.

17 hours ago, Rugster said:

We should all post the last work email we sent. That would sort the situation out. 

Hoi Nathalie,

Ich habe sehr interesse in diesem kurs. Haben sie jetzt genug studenten oder ist es nur provisional?

Um welche uhr lauft es?

Vielen Dank,

Ross

I am classing this as a business email as I am making them pay for the German course.

With regards to names and spellings and pronunciations, we have a few folk from Eastern Europe in here and some of the names can be difficult. Most of them tend to Anglicise their names for the benefit of head office in the US. We have a couple of girls called Xhylisme, which is pronounce Julie. My name tends just to get the odd giggle, as it translates in Swiss German as Horse.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I once faxed an email to someone.

On a similar note, often when I go to the printer I see emails printed out.

I'm struggling to think of any situation where a printout of the actual message would be needed (i.e. forms that need signed etc. would be attachments), but these emails are always utterly trivial things, like an acknowledgement of a previous email, or a notification of an upcoming meeting or event. 

Just...why?

If somebody wants me to do something, I'd rather they emailed me a clear list of requirements rather than just told me on the phone / in person, as chances are I'll forget one or more of the requirements by the time I actually start working on the thing. 

On a similar note, had an interview last week where the manager asked me how I worked. Was a bit confused what he meant, so I proceeded to talk about the "last in, first out" principle, i.e. if someone emails me asking for something, I'll do it straight away. But that project I was asked to kick-off three years ago will never see the light of day and hopefully everyone involved with it has forgotten all about it. 

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

Freundliche Grüße

Hoi Nathalie,

Ich habe sehr interesse in diesem kurs. Haben sie jetzt genug studenten oder ist es nur provisional?

Um welche uhr lauft es?

Vielen Dank,

Ross

Unusual to be on first name terms & use the formal 'haben Sie'!

Though don't envy you having to get to try and get to grips with Schwiizerdütsch!

5 minutes ago, German Jag said:

Unusual to be on first name terms & use the formal 'haben Sie'!

Though don't envy you having to get to try and get to grips with Schwiizerdütsch!

My grasp on the formal and informal is horrendous, largely due to Schwiizerdütsch. My grammar in general is fairly poor for the same reason. I pretty much speak a mixture of Hoch Deutsch and Schwiizerdütsch and make sure I get the words in the right order. I can just about get by but occasionally I really need to think about things depending on who I am talking to.

This of course backs up my need to enroll in another German course, at the expense of my employer....

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I'm struggling to think of any situation where a printout of the actual message would be needed (i.e. forms that need signed etc. would be attachments), but these emails are always utterly trivial things, like an acknowledgement of a previous email, or a notification of an upcoming meeting or event. 

Just...why?

Many years ago (approx year 2001) I worked for possibly the most technologically dense boss that the world has seen (at DSS/DWP Aberdeen).

Would come in every morning, and print all her emails including the attachments often of dozens of pages.

Would then make each email and attachment into a bundle, on a scrap of paper would write a list of her managers that needed to see this (she was a Senior Manager), and would expect an Admin Asst to photocopy each one the required number of times and distribute. Trying to explain the concept of forwarding emails was beyond her brain capacity.

Running a close 2nd was the manager at another Grampian and Shetland DSS office that caused the whole of the UK DSS email system to gradually grind to a near halt as in over a decade she had never deleted a single email received and the storage they were using was fucking up the whole system for the whole of the UK.

Being a Civil Servant had some eye-opening moments.

On 2/26/2017 at 03:53, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

The real question here is what's the sign-off of choice? I usually go for a 'kind regards', but I've been known to jazz things up with a 'many thanks' on occasion.

When I worked in the UK, I'd normally go for a variation of Regards, either on its own or preceded with a Kind or even a Best if I was feeling generous. It became such second nature that I'd unconsciously do it when signing off an email to a family member or when trying to organize a sesh with my mates. It always seemed to give the sesh an air of gravitas it rarely deserved.

In the US, I've been converted to using "Thanks." more often than not. I'm ashamed to admit that in an attempt to fit in, I've even been known to use "Thanks!" in situations where "Thanks." or "GIRFUY" could be considered overenthusiastic. 

4 hours ago, The Master said:

Just...why?

I think we established that we work for the same company, but surely we don't work in the same office?! As this happens in my office (I don't do it I should add). 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think we established that we work for the same company, but surely we don't work in the same office?! As this happens in my office (I don't do it I should add). 

Dunno. Which School are you in?

Archived