Dunfermline Athletic -vs- Dumbarton

3 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Wow. I love the old "their level" statement. 5 years at this level but we're a league 1/2 team. I'm not bothered if this is me 'biting' or anything. It does bother me when folk think teams belong in certain leagues. If that were the case then we might as well just stop relegations and promotions so teams don't end up where they don't belong.

What would you say is your natural level out of interest?

Our natural level is upper championship/lower premiership btw

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

What with this cold and wet weather, is there a chance this could be off? 

Reveal hidden contents

This is purely to antagonise DA Baracus as he gets very touchy when people suggest games will be off and will tell us how infrequently our games are called off, and that when they are it's normally due to police advice not to travel, rather than to do with the pitch. 

Your bait is as obvious as it is futile, especially since

I just read your spoiler[/spoiler}

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Your bait is as obvious as it is futile, especially since

Reveal hidden contents

I just read your spoiler[/spoiler}

Well spotted. That's the difference between a C and an A. 

Moving away from the jovial bantz on this thread I took a look back at our starting lineup for the opening day of the season defeat at EEP. Good God. How did we only lose by one? Aside from handing Alan Martin, Daniel Harvie and Joe Thomson debuts we played a horribly odd formation featuring Craig Pettigrew, and Ryan Stevenson in defensive midfield. I've got it down in my notes from the game as a 4-1-4-1 that looked something like this, but then I wrote at the side that it was pretty bloated. Whatever that meant:

Alan Martin

Craig Pettigrew Gregor Buchanan (C) Frazer Wright (Docherty, 81) Daniel Harvie

Ryan Stevenson (McCallum 72)

David Smith Josh Todd Joe Thomson Andy Stirling

Robert Thomson

Subs: Barclay, Barr, Clark, Kassarate

That was when we still had Cafu on the wing (he won a penalty too iirc), and the guy who played Andy Stirling unconvincingly for the first part of the season on the opposite side. Stevo at defensive mid protecting Wright is hilarious too when you look back on it.

If that team can only lose 4-3 then we can get at least a point here.

8 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Moving away from the jovial bantz on this thread I took a look back at our starting lineup for the opening day of the season defeat at EEP. Good God. How did we only lose by one? Aside from handing Alan Martin, Daniel Harvie and Joe Thomson debuts we played a horribly odd formation featuring Craig Pettigrew and Ryan Stevenson in defensive midfield. I've got it down in my notes from the game as a 4-1-4-1 that looked something like this, but then I wrote at the side that it was pretty bloated. Whatever that meant:

Alan Martin

Robert Thomson

That was when we still had Cafu on the wing (he won a penalty too iirc), and the guy who played Andy Stirling unconvincingly for the first part of the season on the opposite side. Stevo at defensive mid protecting Wright is hilarious too when you look back on it.

It's much easier doing this for the Pars. You just look at who started the last game, check the obituaries column to check none of them have passed on and adjust accordingly. 

15 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Moving away from the jovial bantz on this thread I took a look back at our starting lineup for the opening day of the season defeat at EEP. Good God. How did we only lose by one? Aside from handing Alan Martin, Daniel Harvie and Joe Thomson debuts we played a horribly odd formation featuring Craig Pettigrew and Ryan Stevenson in defensive midfield. I've got it down in my notes from the game as a 4-1-4-1 that looked something like this, but then I wrote at the side that it was pretty bloated. Whatever that meant:

Alan Martin

Robert Thomson

Last time we were gubbing you 4-1 until we imploded and conceded two penalties in the last minute, 

4 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Except that Dunfermline's team will probably be different by now, too.

True. But I doubt their team on the opening day was as poor as ours was. If it was reverse Top Trumps we'd win.

Just now, Shandon Par said:

It's much easier doing this for the Pars. You just look at who started the last game, check the obituaries column to check none of them have passed on and adjust accordingly. 

:lol:

Cardle didn't play against Hibs, did he? Would be very keen that you kept him on the bench given his love of a goal (or three...) against us.

I just watched the 4-3 game back by the way. Our defending is even more hilarious than I remember it. It looked like we literally just scattered players about on the pitch and they all ran into each other and away from the ball :lol:

9 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

True. But I doubt their team on the opening day was as poor as ours was. If it was reverse Top Trumps we'd win.

:lol:

Cardle didn't play against Hibs, did he? Would be very keen that you kept him on the bench given his love of a goal (or three...) against us.

I just watched the 4-3 game back by the way. Our defending is even more hilarious than I remember it. It looked like we literally just scattered players about on the pitch and they all ran into each other and away from the ball :lol:

Cardle has been out of the picture (except the odd brief sub appearance). McMullan and Higginbottham have become quite big players for us for the last few months. Cardle has been known to come on as sub and score at hattrick though. 

Except that Dunfermline's team will probably be different by now, too.

Indeed, I'm pretty sure that after the first quarter you would've been above us, the game mentioned and a 4-3 win against St Mirren were our only victories.

We were pish.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Indeed, I'm pretty sure that after the first quarter you would've been above us, the game mentioned and a 4-3 win against St Mirren were our only victories.

We were pish.

Was that not an Alba game where St Mirren were only up the park twice in the first half, and scored from both?  I only saw until half time, but remember thinking "not much to fear from these 2 teams".

21 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Cardle has been out of the picture (except the odd brief sub appearance). McMullan and Higginbottham have become quite big players for us for the last few months. Cardle has been known to come on as sub and score at hattrick though. 

As long as he only appears as an injury time sub I think we should be safe. 

Actually, wait,* has flashbacks to Ayr a few weeks ago* Scrap that. Hopefully he stays on the bench.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

We were pish.

After the first quarter we had only beaten Dundee United. So, again, we win at reverse Top Trumps ;) We were also a point behind you 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37594281

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Amazing the difference in our team from then.  I agree Dunfermline are a different side from then. After we gifted them a nice welcome back to the big time 3 points they went on a pretty horrid run themselves before picking up quite a bit.

Both teams have significantly improved as the season went on and I go into this feeling we should fear nothing. We hopefully won't be gifting them goals like we did on that day anyway! 

Also... 

Screenshot_20170216-182419~2.png

Now Fleming is over his injury I think it's time Robert Thompson was benched and gaz got a start especially as Thompson has signed a pre contract with Morton for next season, shows where his priorities are, gaz backing up nade will cause the pars defense all
sorts of physical problems, for me tommo craps out of a lot of 50/50s.
3 points is not out of the question here.

6 minutes ago, patchh333 said:

Now Fleming is over his injury I think it's time Robert Thompson was benched and gaz got a start especially as Thompson has signed a pre contract with Morton for next season, shows where his priorities are, gaz backing up nade will cause the pars defense all
sorts of physical problems, for me tommo craps out of a lot of 50/50s.
3 points is not out of the question here.

Welcome to P&B!

I hadn't really considered play Gaz out wide, but now you mention it, it might not be the worst option. He'd certainly be more effective than Thomson in that role, although I've been saying he's needed benched all season.

#FreeSeaGal

Archived