Liam Lindsay, Partick Thistle

Every time I've seen him, he's looked very good.  He's a big powerful centre half who is, first and foremost, a good defender.  The kind Scotland used to produce regularly, but that we've been sadly lacking for a few years now.

He's not just one of these modern centre halves that everyone raves about because they spray passes or throw in a cruyff turn every now and then, but lose headers and get bullied.

This lad is only 21, yet is regularly getting the better of seasoned premiership strikers.  He also carries a goal threat: 6 goals in 25 league games this season, and has played his part in Thistle's current run of 8 clean sheets in the past 10 matches.

Is he the next player to get a move down south, or to disappear into celtics reserves behind some more expensive foreign import?  How highly do Thistle fans rate him? Was also wondering with Martin Mckeown watching a few Thistle games, will he stand a chance of his profile being raised down south.

I realise it's not the Strachan way, but shouldn't we be looking to get him involved in a Scotland squad to bring on his development further, and have him ready to make that step up sooner rather than later?

I'm not too aware of a lot of publicity about him, which I find surprising. I'd like to get some going, as the Thistle juggernaut looks to be a genuine threat to our league position, and anything that can be done to destabilise their momentum should be encouraged.

Any thoughts...?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Every time I've seen him, he's looked very good.  He's a big powerful centre half who is, first and foremost, a good defender.  The kind Scotland used to produce regularly, but that we've been sadly lacking for a few years now.

He's not just one of these modern centre halves that everyone raves about because they spray passes or throw in a cruyff turn every now and then, but lose headers and get bullied.

This lad is only 21, yet is regularly getting the better of seasoned premiership strikers.  He also carries a goal threat: 6 goals in 25 league games this season, and has played his part in Thistle's current run of 8 clean sheets in the past 10 matches.

Is he the next player to get a move down south, or to disappear into celtics reserves behind some more expensive foreign import?  How highly do Thistle fans rate him? Was also wondering with Martin Mckeown watching a few Thistle games, will he stand a chance of his profile being raised down south.

I realise it's not the Strachan way, but shouldn't we be looking to get him involved in a Scotland squad to bring on his development further, and have him ready to make that step up sooner rather than later?

I'm not too aware of a lot of publicity about him, which I find surprising. I'd like to get some going, as the Thistle juggernaut looks to be a genuine threat to our league position, and anything that can be done to destabilise their momentum should be encouraged.

Any thoughts...?

He's fantastic and his growth over the last year or so has been terrific. Must be one of the first names on the team sheet. He's got a few championship clubs sniffing about him and is an absolute certainty to only be playing at Firhill until the summer. 
He's not part of a big enough team though to get a call up, even for the Canada game, that's reserved for English Championship bench warmers. 

Best center half I've seen at Dens all season by a mile. That's including Celtic. Like said above, made Haber look average in the air last night, something which no other defender has come close to doing this season. If he doesn't get in the Scotland squad very soon Strachan has to go.

Strachan will never pick him though.

Many of us have long considered Lindsay our most saleable asset. He will almost certainly move on in the summer and I suspect for an amount far in excess of the record £200k we received for Mo Johnston. Leeds are rumoured to be at the front of the queue but he's drawing a lot of attention from other quarters.

He has made a marked progression this season and is consistently performing week in, week out. Last season, he was prone to the odd error which cost us a goal on occasion but he's more or less eradicated this from his game. He has all the attributes to become a top defender in my opinion and he's just been a tad unfortunate due to his age not to be recognised internationally so far. If he continues to progress at the rate he has so far and moves to the Championship, he will play for Scotland for sure.

29 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This is the tactic which should be used by the national team, getting these type of guys involved with squads early only problem is there will then be no place available for Alan Hutton.

He's still prone to the odd brain fart (who isn't?), but he just gets better and better. He's already made more appearances this season than last, cut down on the silly bookings and his goal tally, not to mention the way he's taken those goals, will be the envy of a few forwards. It'll be a travesty if he doesn't make the league team of the year.

It's likely to be his last season at Firhill, so I'm enjoying watching him while I can. The English Championship is his likely destination, but he's the kind of player Swansea would have signed a few seasons back.

Last season he was a very good young defender, this season he's been an excellent young defender. He's made significant improvements to his game and I can't see him staying with us past the summer. He's a left footer and whenever he was paired with Seaborne last season he was on the right-side of central defence, so it's probably helped that he's been played on the left side this season. I think the 3 at the back system that we've used quite often suits him too.

He's also a real attacking threat at set pieces, which is a bonus.

He's only 21 so it's not surprising that he makes the odd mental mistake but the raw talent is clearly there.  If he does indeed move to the English Championship I hope that it's to a team that will actually play him week in and week out.  Doing a Danny Wilson move and spending time in the reserves could be catastrophic to his career, but if he can continue to get game time, wherever that may be, then he has a bright future.  Lindsay and John Souttar are the best young Scottish Centre backs IMHO.

C'mon Gord, give the lad a chance against us in March

The Canada game would be ideal to at least have LL I involved, but it won't happen. Last year he was playing very well but couldn't get into a Shite Scotland under 21 team.  Spragia et al preferring to use either Scottish Championship CB's or OF players.

He is a strong CB, not easily knocked off the ball and is a real goal threat.  If he was playing for a top 4 club in SPFL he would be included, however he is not and will be omitted from the next squad because Strachan will prefer a Newcastle Utd reserve player (Grant H) instead.

Liam is in his 2nd full season in the Premier league after we farmed him out on loan to the lower leagues for a few spells.

But just in the last 6 months we've seen a massive development in his game. He was prone to some mistakes last year and first quarter of this season started slowly, as I think he lacked the maturity but experience with a great squad of players filled with confidence and a management team both of whom where defenders is helping him. It was an absolute disgrace that the Scotland U21 management in Stark, Spragia and Gemmell didn't pick him. I still with many of my fellow supporters can't understand that as we are screaming to farm and develop new center backs in this country. Shows how flawed our youth setup is.

He's almost or not far off 22 and has everything. Developing at a very rapid rate. Has size, strength, awareness and can score goals. I do think he is England bound this summer or next January depending on who wants him and for how much as he is contracted through 2019. I don't see us letting him go for less than 1M. We'd be stupid if we did. He is clearly the best young central defender in the country and several clubs are already sniffing around him.

On the upcoming Scotland friendlies I think it would be a dereliction of duty by the SFA and the Scottish management team ( I can't say his name...as it upsets me) to not select him for these upcoming games but I don't think he will. I think that little pleb of a man will ineffectively battle on with the old age pensioners we have in defense. There has been little to no coverage or discussion on Lindsay by the BBC or BT Sport. They are too caught up in the OF stories like Celtic's massive points totals & who will be the new Sevco gaffer.

My one hope is that whether it is his agent, family, the club or the national setup look after this lad and counsel him wisely. He definitely shouldn't touch the OF teams with a barge pole and his move has to be one where he knows he can develop into an international & continue to play regular football. If he does this he can step up into the Premiership in England. I think he has all the potential to do so in the next decade. We desperately need him to as a country and hope others like him come through also.

There's a real debate to be had on the role of Scotland squads and if they could be better used. The likes of Strachan will say that having players like Lindsay in means if there is an injury crisis there will be less experience in the team should he play. I'd be in favour of making a habit of taking 4-5 of the best young talents, especially in problem positions like centre half, along to the squad to get used to the training methods, the big names, the Scotland setup. There would be no real intention of having them play, as you inform the backup lads who would have been benchwarmers anyway that they will be drafted in should there be an injury. This is for competitive games. Friendlies should be a free for all. Other countries chuck caps around like no tomorrow. For one thing it increases the perceived value of these players. If Lindsay is to leave in the summer, a couple of caps would surely add something to the fee. Getting more for our players is likely to improve the game as a whole, as Thistle can invest that extra cash in unearthing the next talent. 

Its all totally academic at this stage however, Strachan will call up Mulgrew and Bannan and Bryson and all these also-rans who just don't have the potential to be worth bothering with at this stage. Especially since the qualification campaign is all but gone. 

Archived