Brechin v Alloa

5 minutes ago, fruitbowl said:

It would be incredible if Brechin officials were ignoring the situation as multi postponements have derailed promotion bids over recent seasons.

I have always wondered why a new stand, which is a bit of a white elephant due to crowd numbers was considered more important that sorting out the ongoing pitch issue.

New stand??? The last stand was built in the early 90's!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, fruitbowl said:

It would be incredible if Brechin officials were ignoring the situation as multi postponements have derailed promotion bids over recent seasons.

I have always wondered why a new stand, which is a bit of a white elephant due to crowd numbers was considered more important that sorting out the ongoing pitch issue.

I do wonder what folk pick out of the comments on here.  As was stated the club totally lifted the pitch a couple of seasons ago and had it drained as well. They are addressing the issues within their financial parameters .  Weather happens  and we can't do much about that.

That stand was built on the back of selling two players back in the eighties/ nineties........around the time the SFA were enforcing stupid stadium rules. We sold Scott Thompson to Aberdeen for around £100k   and part of the deal was getting Stewart Milne to build the stand at a much reduced cost. It is officially named the David Will Stand but Nipper Thompson always refers to it as the Scott Thompson Stand .     Paul Ritchie  lays claim to the blue seats in the stand as he was sold to Dundee around the same time for slightly less than Nipper.  :lol:

Good post, wondered why brechin havent sorted out the pitch, i was up at the game last time up there and the pitch didnt look that great that day either.

Of course money is tight but as you rightly said the state of the pitch is derailing any promotion push you may have had which i'm glad about.

Surely you have had more games postponed this season than any other team in any of the divisions playing on grass.

8 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Good post, wondered why brechin havent sorted out the pitch, i was up at the game last time up there and the pitch didnt look that great that day either.

Of course money is tight but as you rightly said the state of the pitch is derailing any promotion push you may have had which i'm glad about.

Surely you have had more games postponed this season than any other team in any of the divisions playing on grass.

Brechin's promotion push was derailed with the injury crisis mid season. Perhaps the postponements might work in our favour now as the key players return to fitness and the teams round about keep dropping points. 

Livi are only one postponement behind by the way . 

9 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

I dont mean the post to come across as disrespectful but if i was an alloa fan and we were playing on that standard of grass i'd be asking questions.

Suppose you could be right.

There pitch is worse, they have just been luckier.

Sorry but the club in fairness have done their best . They bit the bullet and had the pitch dug up and drained . The poor topsoil isn't really the best for free draining which results in water lying initially after heavy rain .  It does go eventually but we do seem to have been unlucky with the timing of the heavy rain..  As I said the pitch was playable on Friday and will probably be playable tomorrow.   Unfortunately as frustrating as it is , that is our situation. Ongoing improvements are being made as the budget allows but when games are off  income is lost.  A vicious circle. 

17 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

I dont mean the post to come across as disrespectful but if i was an alloa fan and we were playing on that standard of grass i'd be asking questions.

Suppose you could be right.

There pitch is worse, they have just been luckier.

I wouldn't say 2 postponed games with a flooded pitch in the space of a week was luckier, nothing much Livi could do about the first postponed game against Rovers, the pitch was frozen. Haven't seen Brechin's pitch so can't comment on it being better or worse than ours but looks like it would be a pointless debate, like 2 bald men fighting over a comb. However I don't think Brechin's poor pitch can be blamed for their faltering promotion push, our tattie field of a pitch hasn't stopped Livi getting to the top spot and staying there, I think their injuries had more of an impact on their dip in form than their pitch. Unless their pitch was responsible for their injury crisis..

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I wouldn't say 2 postponed games with a flooded pitch in the space of a week was luckier, nothing much Livi could do about the first postponed game against Rovers, the pitch was frozen. Haven't seen Brechin's pitch so can't comment on it being better or worse than ours but looks like it would be a pointless debate, like 2 bald men fighting over a comb. However I don't think Brechin's poor pitch can be blamed for their faltering promotion push, our tattie field of a pitch hasn't stopped Livi getting to the top spot and staying there, I think their injuries had more of an impact on their dip in form than their pitch. Unless their pitch was responsible for their injury crisis..

No, the plastic ones were our downfall !!!  ;)

I think social media has helped drum up this idea that things are worse than they are.  . We had as many called off games 20 or 30 years ago as we have now but it just gets highlighted more on sites like these nowadays. . However I think the weather patterns have changed greatly over the years.  The call offs back then were mainly due to frost and snow  whereas now we are getting warmer , wetter winters with monsoon like deluges. . The club have addressed the situation and will continue to work with the maintenance company to maximise the performance of the new drainage system. It is frustrating but people have to realise that it is not just a case of putting in a few pipes and all will be resolved. Due to financial constraints the company had to work with the existing topsoil which in itself is not ideal for drainage with the heavy clay content.  It was mixed with sand to try to open up the soil but the clay particles sometimes bind together , slowing up the water flow to the drains. 
Most people though aren't interested in the technical side of sports grass maintenance and just see the inconvenience part. Some of your comments above highlight that.  You say it was only a night of rain.  It was constant heavy rain from 11.00pm on Friday through to 3.00pm on Saturday ( at least 15 - 20 mm )  . This,  falling on an already damp surface with the problems I highlighted earlier, doesn't give the pitch much of a chance.  Ironically the game would have been on had it been played on Friday. As for being a laughing stock, I would counter that with the fact that the club aren't ignoring the issue , they are doing everything within their financial remit to try and improve things.  If folk want to laugh at that then let them laugh.  Ignorance is bliss sometimes. 
Even with all the problems though, I would still have grass over plastic. [emoji6]
ETA   Brechin Vics junior game was off yesterday along with virtually all junior games in Tayside. Coincidence ?  Nah. 

I have it from a good source that by 3 pm on Saturday there had been 27 mm of rain. More than an inch. I doubt many places could've coped with that.

Archived