Brechin v Alloa

30 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

Its been sunny weather all week things drying up great after frosty starts and 11pm last night it starts raining so game aff unbelievable.... Anither Saturday game missed ..Gonna be last year buying a season tkt as i can t make many midweek games due to shifts ... And this is the way our clubs goin ... Whats went wrong we nvr used to have so many games cancelled or did we ?? 

Only 3 .

Can't help the weather. If it's any consolation the junior fixture card in this area has been wiped out today as well. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Only 3 .

Can't help the weather. If it's any consolation the junior fixture card in this area has been wiped out today as well. 

Get yourself upto Campus and have a kickabout the surfaces is fantastic.. I agree though footys for grass but after playing on Campus its brilliant...im playing against all shapes n sizes and not an injury yet... i don t think this game would ve been off 20yrs ago after a nite of rain 

2 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Get yourself upto Campus and have a kickabout the surfaces is fantastic.. I agree though footys for grass but after playing on Campus its brilliant...im playing against all shapes n sizes and not an injury yet... i don t think this game would ve been off 20yrs ago after a nite of rain 

So why do you think the pitch was so much better 20 years ago ?  And what is your magic solution now ? 

Some Brechin folk are great at criticising  but not so good at actually coming up with solutions . ........Aye realistic solutions. 

9 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Its been sunny weather all week things drying up great after frosty starts and 11pm last night it starts raining so game aff unbelievable.... Anither Saturday game missed ..Gonna be last year buying a season tkt as i can t make many midweek games due to shifts ... And this is the way our clubs goin ... Whats went wrong we nvr used to have so many games cancelled or did we ?? 

Thinking along the same lines as you for next season . Cant always rely on the goodwill of work mates to arrange swapping shifts to make games midweek.  Maybe mistaking for thinking that a couple of seasons ago there was major work done close season on the pitch and drainage ? Anyone clarify ?

Last summer I'm sure there was drainage put in at the old stand side which hasn't worked at all the park is needing a complete overhaul to give it a chance.being the only game off on the league certainly tells a story

I was nt critisizing I was asking the question ..To which yourself more than anyone I guess should have helpful answers ... I m not slagging off Neil or anyone ..I doubt if in July / August there's a more picturesque stadium in Scotland ..... I'm guessing Fred Thomson and Sy Laing etc nvr had the equipment Neil has but this last 5 years we ve became a laughing stock ... I know it's the down to crazy weather but let's be honest it was only a night of rain ...The 2 pitches at public park would ve been playable yesterday a wee bit water but nothing crazy ,  Is it down to jobsworth officials ? I ve seen great games on horrendous pitches .... 4 3 defeat to Sevco , 2 2 v St John , 7 5 v Cowdenbeath , many New year derbies v Farfar , even goin back 30 years playing Motherwell on sand covered pitch in a cup replay ....And that's 5 postponed games so far this year .. Not 3 as you previously said ..... 

2 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

I was nt critisizing I was asking the question ..To which yourself more than anyone I guess should have helpful answers ... I m not slagging off Neil or anyone ..I doubt if in July / August there's a more picturesque stadium in Scotland ..... I'm guessing Fred Thomson and Sy Laing etc nvr had the equipment Neil has but this last 5 years we ve became a laughing stock ... I know it's the down to crazy weather but let's be honest it was only a night of rain ...The 2 pitches at public park would ve been playable yesterday a wee bit water but nothing crazy ,  Is it down to jobsworth officials ? I ve seen great games on horrendous pitches .... 4 3 defeat to Sevco , 2 2 v St John , 7 5 v Cowdenbeath , many New year derbies v Farfar , even goin back 30 years playing Motherwell on sand covered pitch in a cup replay ....And that's 5 postponed games so far this year .. Not 3 as you previously said ..... 

I think social media has helped drum up this idea that things are worse than they are.  . We had as many called off games 20 or 30 years ago as we have now but it just gets highlighted more on sites like these nowadays. . However I think the weather patterns have changed greatly over the years.  The call offs back then were mainly due to frost and snow  whereas now we are getting warmer , wetter winters with monsoon like deluges. . The club have addressed the situation and will continue to work with the maintenance company to maximise the performance of the new drainage system. It is frustrating but people have to realise that it is not just a case of putting in a few pipes and all will be resolved. Due to financial constraints the company had to work with the existing topsoil which in itself is not ideal for drainage with the heavy clay content.  It was mixed with sand to try to open up the soil but the clay particles sometimes bind together , slowing up the water flow to the drains. 

Most people though aren't interested in the technical side of sports grass maintenance and just see the inconvenience part. Some of your comments above highlight that.  You say it was only a night of rain.  It was constant heavy rain from 11.00pm on Friday through to 3.00pm on Saturday ( at least 15 - 20 mm )  . This,  falling on an already damp surface with the problems I highlighted earlier, doesn't give the pitch much of a chance.  Ironically the game would have been on had it been played on Friday. As for being a laughing stock, I would counter that with the fact that the club aren't ignoring the issue , they are doing everything within their financial remit to try and improve things.  If folk want to laugh at that then let them laugh.  Ignorance is bliss sometimes. 

Even with all the problems though, I would still have grass over plastic. ;)

ETA   Brechin Vics junior game was off yesterday along with virtually all junior games in Tayside. Coincidence ?  Nah. 

12 hours ago, slangs said:

Last summer I'm sure there was drainage put in at the old stand side which hasn't worked at all the park is needing a complete overhaul to give it a chance.being the only game off on the league certainly tells a story

Maybe a good job Livi were playing away from home !!! ;)

31 minutes ago, Oweny said:

30 years ago with the same conditions , the game  would have been on no question. 

Aye you are probably right. They just changed the players' studs to suit.  Put the longer heel studs in the front and away you go . You can't do that  with these multi -coloured baffies now so the ref has no choice but to put the game off. ..........Also the mud plays havoc with the hair gel so that's a no no as well. :lol:

4 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Apologies if I've missed this in the past, does he actually have an involvement in Brechin City in some capacity?

We need help to bring the parks up to a better standard end of. We all kno most clubs do their upmost to produce a good surface. Our governing body needs to step in spend money to benefit clubs and give us a chance of producing a decent standard which would then help the Scottish game

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Apologies if I've missed this in the past, does he actually have an involvement in Brechin City in some capacity?

Nothing to do with City officially but always one of first to help which is why he gets uptight over any questions .His daytime job he s fixes grass :whistle

It would be incredible if Brechin officials were ignoring the situation as multi postponements have derailed promotion bids over recent seasons.

I have always wondered why a new stand, which is a bit of a white elephant due to crowd numbers was considered more important that sorting out the ongoing pitch issue.

Archived