Brechin v Alloa

8 minutes ago, falkirkwasp said:

Thats exactly what he was implying.

Funny really when there are other brechin fans commenting about the state of the pitch, yet others are very defensive about it, you just have to look at the picture you put up.

Game in serious doubt.

I was sarcastically implying that Goodwin's "no nonsense" approach is something to behold.  If I remember correctly was he not subbed before he was sent off in that match at the glebe.?

As for the state of the pitch, I am as disappointed as the rest at the situation but sadly that is the situation. Weather happens !  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sadly the gent in question passed away . However his extensive knowledge of how the body works and reacts was widely recognised within all sporting circles . He dedicated his life to helping people recover from all sorts of sporting injuries . He was one of the first to catch on to the link between recurring muscle and tendon injuries and the plastic pitches.  He did however   realise ( and reluctantly accept ) that plastic pitches were on the increase and was constantly trying to implement new training excercises to counter the effects on the players' bodies . 

He is sadly missed in our community for the help , advice and rehabilitation he gave to people from all walks of life and also from the many football clubs who utilised his knowledge.   I only hope there are more as dedicated as he was to this cause who are willing to go the extra mile to helping people. 

As for the cancer link, there is nothing definitely proven yet  but I know research is ongoing. I am sorry if my statement came over as matter of fact  but you can't hide away from these matters. Cancer is a serious issue and if the rubber crumb  is proven to be an issue then the consequences will be huge.  As with many new innovations there are usually drawbacks .  If people blindly ignored the drawbacks then positive  progress won't happen. Plastic pitches have advanced greatly over the years but are still nowhere near the finished article. If the findings help to progress these pitches to grass standard then I for one will welcome them into the game.   Until then I remain a firm sceptic.  

So where do you stand on heading the ball it is seemingly being linked with issues in later life do we just stop kicking the ball above shoulder height and wear head guards:whistle

22 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I was sarcastically implying that Goodwin's "no nonsense" approach is something to behold.  If I remember correctly was he not subbed before he was sent off in that match at the glebe.?

As for the state of the pitch, I am as disappointed as the rest at the situation but sadly that is the situation. Weather happens !  

You don't remember correctly. He wasn't even booked in the game and he subbed himself off with about 5 minutes left.

6 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

So where do you stand on heading the ball it is seemingly being linked with issues in later life do we just stop kicking the ball above shoulder height and wear head guards:whistle

That might come.  Obviously research has started on this issue as well. However I doubt if that will have much bearing on the advancement of plastic pitches. 

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That might come.  Obviously research has started on this issue as well. However I doubt if that will have much bearing on the advancement of plastic pitches. 

No but there as much evidence about this as the very sketchy and inconclusive research that you quote from one man in Brechin ( and before you get on your high horse I knew the man you mentioned very very well, a great Brechin City legend )

6 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

You don't remember correctly. He wasn't even booked in the game and he subbed himself off with about 5 minutes left.

That was your interpretation.   Ours was slightly different of course.  He did tread the line very carefully that day . I think his "professional" experience got him through unscathed. 

Opinions are just that though .  

11 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

No but there as much evidence about this as the very sketchy and inconclusive research that you quote from one man in Brechin ( and before you get on your high horse I knew the man you mentioned very very well, a great Brechin City legend )

I knew him and worked with him for many years . I had many conversations with him about this and to call his research sketchy maybe suggests that you didn't really know him as well as you thought. 

36 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That was your interpretation.   Ours was slightly different of course.  He did tread the line very carefully that day . I think his "professional" experience got him through unscathed. 

Opinions are just that though .  

Fine, but the fact that he wasn't even cautioned in the game prior to leaving the field as the game wound to a conclusion would suggest my "interpretation" has a bit more weight behind it.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, if a player is treading a fine line with regards to a red card he has already received a yellow yes?

5 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Fine, but the fact that he wasn't even cautioned in the game prior to leaving the field as the game wound to a conclusion would suggest my "interpretation" has a bit more weight behind it.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, if a player is treading a fine line with regards to a red card he has already received a yellow yes?

I suppose you may have a point.   I still stand by mine though.  I am assuming that you are of course basing your assumption that all referees work to the same code of practice when interpreting fouls.  :whistle

Sadly the gent in question passed away . However his extensive knowledge of how the body works and reacts was widely recognised within all sporting circles . He dedicated his life to helping people recover from all sorts of sporting injuries . He was one of the first to catch on to the link between recurring muscle and tendon injuries and the plastic pitches.  He did however   realise ( and reluctantly accept ) that plastic pitches were on the increase and was constantly trying to implement new training excercises to counter the effects on the players' bodies . 
He is sadly missed in our community for the help , advice and rehabilitation he gave to people from all walks of life and also from the many football clubs who utilised his knowledge.   I only hope there are more as dedicated as he was to this cause who are willing to go the extra mile to helping people. 

As for the cancer link, there is nothing definitely proven yet  but I know research is ongoing. I am sorry if my statement came over as matter of fact  but you can't hide away from these matters. Cancer is a serious issue and if the rubber crumb  is proven to be an issue then the consequences will be huge.  As with many new innovations there are usually drawbacks .  If people blindly ignored the drawbacks then positive  progress won't happen. Plastic pitches have advanced greatly over the years but are still nowhere near the finished article. If the findings help to progress these pitches to grass standard then I for one will welcome them into the game.   Until then I remain a firm sceptic.  

Don't have a problem with any of that, mate.
Sceptisim is a good attitude. However, to my knowledge there is no actual scientific proof for a surface like Alloa's being 'worse' for injuries or causing cancer.

Most of the comments you hear on those pitches are based on ignorant bias, usually supported by flimsy anecdotal evidence (i.e. not proper evidence). Your initial post seemed to fit neatly into that category. Your post above doesn't.

14 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I suppose you may have a point.   I still stand by mine though.  I am assuming that you are of course basing your assumption that all referees work to the same code of practice when interpreting fouls.  :whistle

No just assuming that if he was about to be sent off, he would have been booked first. 

1 minute ago, printer said:

Don't have a problem with any of that, mate.
Sceptisim is a good attitude. However, to my knowledge there is no actual scientific proof for a surface like Alloa's being 'worse' for injuries or causing cancer.

Most of the comments you hear on those pitches are based on ignorant bias, usually supported by flimsy anecdotal evidence (i.e. not proper evidence). Your initial post seemed to fit neatly into that category. Your post above doesn't.

Thank you. I thought it best to expand given the seethe it caused earlier. 

Its been sunny weather all week things drying up great after frosty starts and 11pm last night it starts raining so game aff unbelievable.... Anither Saturday game missed ..Gonna be last year buying a season tkt as i can t make many midweek games due to shifts ... And this is the way our clubs goin ... Whats went wrong we nvr used to have so many games cancelled or did we ?? 

And with horrendous rain fall over 18 hours Glebe Park is deemed unplayable and then a w**k fest begins over what surface we should have. Its Scotland, we have weather, it gets wet, grass gets water logged - its off - get over it!

The game has gone soft, no contact, no mud and you need grass or similar to play on. I know one or two ex die hards who gave up in the game because it became too sanitised. What is wrong with a heavy pitch? I have seen BCFC play a scot cup quarter final at the Glebe in horrendous conditions - it was a great day all round, I have seen us travel to Elgin and play on a gravel pit etc...

I think the debate is wider than the pitch it is about how we are brain washed into thinking everything has to be sooooooooooo perfect to play. It sis not so much plastic alone that causes injury it is moving between different surfaces, maybe we should put funding to plastic or ensure the grass ones get funding to ensure playability.

Either way game off. Its a pain.

Funding is the key. The powers that be should for the benefit of our game do their upmost to help clubs provide good playing surfaces.just because we play in division one doesn't mean we should play on an inferior pitch.

Archived