Scottish Cup holders v Aberdeen

Bambino7

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I don't see much wrong with what the gaffer has said there.

I think the only thing that hinders us is the kick and rush nature of the Scottish game. I think our style of play is more suited to Spanish or Italian football. I'm not saying we'd pull up any trees but if you were to stick us in say, The Serie A, we'd be between 10th-13th.

Agree with that. Think we'd be 5th in Serie A. Definitely above the Milan clubs anyway.

Can only see Juventus beating Celtic too.

:lol:

If Leith was a country hibs would win the world cup. They are that good.

Or Lennon could be furiously backpedalling to try to repair the damaged egos after calling them pathetic losers.

I just can't decide which is more likely.

Agree with that. Think we'd be 5th in Serie A. Definitely above the Milan clubs anyway.

Can only see Juventus beating Celtic too.

:lol:

I actually think Aberdeen would struggle in Serie A. They'd be more suited to The English Championship/League 1 due to the sheer brute strength and physicality they bring.

Hibs problem is that we're maybe just a bit too pure for the style of Football that's still being played in Scotland.

Celtic would be top 4 but they are miles behind Juve imo, despite being a bigger club.

Great entertainment and I enjoyed chatting to a couple of Hibs fans before the game. Can't see that being the case in the final.

Given that Hibs are out I wouldn't imagine you will.

• 1 month later...

It's cup final day and I'm still utterly harpbroken.

I had a feeling of déjà vu for the Aberdeen goals; it was like watching the 2010-2014 Hibs teams where every error was anticipated because of our incessant calamity. The performance certainly wasn't as bad as those dark days, but the first two goals could have been carbon copies from that period. Aberdeen's third was a cruel way to lose the cup: a shot going wide of the left, deflected wide of the right and then squeezed into the goal by the spin of the ball on the bounce. The handball before their third compounded the cruelty of their winner.

I was surprised by the blithe nonchalance of some of the players prior to kick-off. McGinn was chuckling away as the players lined up - undoubtedly joking about his upcoming dribble through four Aberdeen players in the centre-circle. McGregor must have been in on the joke too - throwing away Bartley's salvaging of the situation by passing short to Ambrose's cigar smoke. Rooney finished with aplomb to send a semi-final shiver down my spine (the kind typically experienced in Falkirk semi-finals). Our capitulation in the first half was similar to the 4-3 Falkirk game, in the way Hibs floundered under well-drilled pressure from the opposition's forwards. We were fortunate to avoid going three goals down within 30 minutes and our crumbling response to the early goal was almost as farcical as the goals we conceded.

There's always one person late with the #banter - McGeouch was desperate not to miss out. After Marciano set up his wall, McGeouch seized the opportunity to inflict the greatest #lads prank on an Israeli since the Palestinians sent Paul Gascoigne to strip for Benjamin Netanyahu (#GazzaStrip). If McGeouch stayed put, Christie's freekick would have hit the wall. Marciano still shoulders a lot of the blame for being caught out at the near-post but he Israeli fit.. We were pummelled in the first half-hour, but the goals were entirely caused by our 'McG' trio: McGinn's dribble & McGregor's pass, for the first; McGeouch vacating the wall, for the second; McGinn & McGregor's lethargic attempt to block the ball, for their third.

'Midgame McGeouch' has been our most pivotal player in games since he signed a permanent contract. He proved how pivotal he can be - yet again - by dragging Hibs into the opposition half and dictating our movement; he then proved - yet again - how pivotal he is to our games when he went off injured. As soon as McGeouch was replaced, the side became unbalanced, lost its cohesiveness and allowed Aberdeen to steady the ship - a ship listing heavily from Holt's heroic performance and some desperate decisions from McInnes. That said, Hibs still had the momentum and looked quite comfortable despite McGeouch's absence & Shinnie's presence.

The match officials were rotten for both sides, but I feel that two major decisions went against us. The handball in the build-up to Aberdeen's goal was almost within touching distance of the linesman; the handball wasn't even remotely debatable and both the ref and linesman had a clear view. The other decision that I still can't get my head around is why the ref called for half-time when we were in a threatening position in the final-third, with Boyle making a great run between their centre-backs and Holt in acres of space in front of them. It's all 'what if' and 'should have been', but the referee denied us a great opportunity to equalise before half-time and then the officials failed to give a handball immediately prior to their winner.

We finally grasped our 'Holy Grail' with a 2-3 win and then it was stolen from us with a 2-3 defeat in a brutal manner: through myriads of our own mistakes, a couple of cockups from the match officials and the ball being attracted to Marciano who - as we all know - Israeli fit. I don't think I would have survived the celebrations had Marciano buried his stoppage-time header... It was another incident reminiscent of a previous season: the League Cup final where Fontaine almost equalised in stoppage-time with an overhead kick - almost making up for conceding the second goal.

Lennon's season started with a preseason friendly against Berwick: Hibs scored after twelve seconds.
Lennon's first competitive fixture: Brøndby scored after seventeen seconds.
Lennon's final game where Hibs are 'still competing': Aberdeen score after twelve seconds.

I miss Stubbsy's stoppage-time make-or-break moments.

tl;dr
Hibs gave away the cup too freely and I still can't accept the defeat.

5 minutes ago, Mon Dieu said:

I had a feeling of déjà vu for the Aberdeen goals; it was like watching the 2010-2014 Hibs teams where every error was anticipated because of our incessant calamity. The performance certainly wasn't as bad as those dark days, but the first two goals could have been carbon copies from that period. Aberdeen's third was a cruel way to lose the cup: a shot going wide of the left, deflected wide of the right and then squeezed into the goal by the spin of the ball on the bounce. The handball before their third compounded the cruelty of their winner.

I was surprised by the blithe nonchalance of some of the players prior to kick-off. McGinn was chuckling away as the players lined up - undoubtedly joking about his upcoming dribble through four Aberdeen players in the centre-circle. McGregor must have been in on the joke too - throwing away Bartley's salvaging of the situation by passing short to Ambrose's cigar smoke. Rooney finished with aplomb to send a semi-final shiver down my spine (the kind typically experienced in Falkirk semi-finals). Our capitulation in the first half was similar to the 4-3 Falkirk game, in the way Hibs floundered under well-drilled pressure from the opposition's forwards. We were fortunate to avoid going three goals down within 30 minutes and our crumbling response to the early goal was almost as farcical as the goals we conceded.

There's always one person late with the #banter - McGeouch was desperate not to miss out. After Marciano set up his wall, McGeouch seized the opportunity to inflict the greatest #lads prank on an Israeli since the Palestinians sent Paul Gascoigne to strip for Benjamin Netanyahu (#GazzaStrip). If McGeouch stayed put, Christie's freekick would have hit the wall. Marciano still shoulders a lot of the blame for being caught out at the near-post but he Israeli fit.. We were pummelled in the first half-hour, but the goals were entirely caused by our 'McG' trio: McGinn's dribble & McGregor's pass, for the first; McGeouch vacating the wall, for the second; McGinn & McGregor's lethargic attempt to block the ball, for their third.

'Midgame McGeouch' has been our most pivotal player in games since he signed a permanent contract. He proved how pivotal he can be - yet again - by dragging Hibs into the opposition half and dictating our movement; he then proved - yet again - how pivotal he is to our games when he went off injured. As soon as McGeouch was replaced, the side became unbalanced, lost its cohesiveness and allowed Aberdeen to steady the ship - a ship listing heavily from Holt's heroic performance and some desperate decisions from McInnes. That said, Hibs still had the momentum and looked quite comfortable despite McGeouch's absence & Shinnie's presence.

The match officials were rotten for both sides, but I feel that two major decisions went against us. The handball in the build-up to Aberdeen's goal was almost within touching distance of the linesman; the handball wasn't even remotely debatable and both the ref and linesman had a clear view. The other decision that I still can't get my head around is why the ref called for half-time when we were in a threatening position in the final third, with Boyle making a great run between their centre-backs and Holt in acres of space in front of them. It's all 'what if' and 'should have been', but the referee denied us a great opportunity to equalise before half-time and then the officials failed to give a handball immediately prior to their winner.

We finally grasped our 'Holy Grail' with a 2-3 win and then it was stolen from us in a 2-3 defeat in a brutal manner - through myriads of our own mistakes, a couple of cockups from the match officials and the ball being attracted to Marciano who - as we all know - Israeli fit. I don't think I would have survived the celebrations had Marciano buried that header... It was another incident reminiscent of a previous season where Fontaine almost equalised in stoppage time with an overhead kick in the League Cup final.

Lennon's season started with a preseason friendly against Berwick: Hibs scored after twelve seconds.
Lennon's final game where Hibs are 'still competing': Aberdeen score after twelve seconds.

tl;dr
Hibs gave away the cup too freely.

On 27/05/2017 at 13:52, Mon Dieu said:

The match officials were rotten for both sides, but I feel that two major decisions went against us. The handball in the build-up to Aberdeen's goal was almost within touching distance of the linesman; the handball wasn't even remotely debatable and both the ref and linesman had a clear view. The other decision that I still can't get my head around is why the ref called for half-time when we were in a threatening position in the final-third, with Boyle making a great run between their centre-backs and Holt in acres of space in front of them. It's all 'what if' and 'should have been', but the referee denied us a great opportunity to equalise before half-time and then the officials failed to give a handball immediately prior to their winner.

We finally grasped our 'Holy Grail' with a 2-3 win and then it was stolen from us with a 2-3 defeat in a brutal manner: through myriads of our own mistakes, a couple of cockups from the match officials and the ball being attracted to Marciano who - as we all know - Israeli fit. I don't think I would have survived the celebrations had Marciano buried his stoppage-time header... It was another incident reminiscent of a previous season: the League Cup final where Fontaine almost equalised in stoppage-time with an overhead kick - almost making up for conceding the second goal.

tl;dr
Hibs gave away the cup too freely and I still can't accept the defeat.

Christ.

15 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Difference is, you were playing Championship dross. We were playing the best team this country has seen this decade.

Yet we also managed to beat the Hearts side that knocked out the mighty Aberdeen on our way to winning it. We've won the cup this century, perennial bottlers Aberdeen haven't. Get over it. 

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Will the Celtic fans please give the Hibs fans the attention they've deservedly earned.

FTFY.

If it wasn't for Hibs, there'd be no Celtic.  I'd like to thank Hibs for our treble winning Invincibles.  Our success is your success. :wub:

8 hours ago, Zing. said:

Yet we also managed to beat the Hearts side that knocked out the mighty Aberdeen on our way to winning it. We've won the cup this century, perennial bottlers Aberdeen haven't. Get over it. 

I prefer to use "back-pass era". It adds a further 8 years to their Scottish Cup minter. 

Archived