East Region Superleague....

watchful eye

16 team Super League for me all the time 30 league games in a season. 10 teams would give 18 league game as 12 teams would give 22 games. In that case we could have a league competition Aug- Dec and another league season Jan-May Behave your self. Fair enough The Big Rose have done well since the Super League was conceived having won it 3 times. The table never lies and after 30 games the team on top of the league are deserved Champions.

Would you seriously go back to the days of the local leagues? The Rose have done well with crowds not so sure the local derbies would create better crowds and more local interest.

C'mon the Rose

I'd stick my mortgage on Bonnyrigg vs either anyone over the bridge possibly kelty at a push compared to anyone locally as in arniston, Haddington, Dalkeith, Tranent attracting more people it would create an extra 100 people at least! more interest locally and people with less travelling to follow each team, most teams over the bridge bring 20 supporters if your lucky to Bonnyrigg, possibly because it's too far??? Mayb 10 too little BUT 16 far too much 30 games in a league season that can't accommodate midweek games is madness

Winter break would help loads throughout January I'm sure teams would love wages break with so many games usually off around then.

And yes the league does lie for me we are a better team than kelty IMO not Keltys fault we have had so many games tho so hats off to them.

Us being successful has a lot to do with the stability off the park too not just a 'better' league.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't a lot of East Region clubs have floodlights?

Bathgate, Blackburn, Broxburn, Dalkeith, Downfield, Dunbar, Dundee NE, Easthouses, Hill of Beath, Kelty, Kennoway, Linlithgow, Newtongrange, Penicuik, Sauchie...

I've probably missed several in Perth/Angus area, too.

Assuming I've missed a couple in the Perth/Angus area there must be about a dozen-n-a-half that could host midweek games in March and April, then?

It's not like a whole division has to be floodlit to have a fixture list, or issue in large blocks. Quarter of LL isn't floodlit; half of SOSL; more than half of EOSL. Plus they don't generally reschedule midweek until March.

North Region are also more accepting of floodlight than their East and particularly West counterparts, and tend to have blocks of fixtures out of longer duration and with more notice.

I'd stick my mortgage on Bonnyrigg vs either anyone over the bridge possibly kelty at a push compared to anyone locally as in arniston, Haddington, Dalkeith, Tranent would create an extra 100 people at our home games through more interest locally and people with less travelling to follow each team, most teams over the bridge bring 20 supporters if your lucky to Bonnyrigg if your lucky possibly because it's too far??? Mayb 10 too little BUT 16 far too much 30 games in a league season that can't accommodate midweek games is madness
Winter break would help loads throughout January I'm sure teams would love wages break with so many games usually off around then.

Whit ???? [emoji15]

Don't a lot of East Region clubs have floodlights?

Bathgate, Blackburn, Broxburn, Dalkeith, Downfield, Dunbar, Dundee NE, Easthouses, Hill of Beath, Kelty, Kennoway, Linlithgow, Newtongrange, Penicuik, Sauchie...

I've probably missed several in Perth/Angus area, too.

Are they up to standard tho?
Dalkeith's most recent I've experienced and was quite impressed last time a saw nittens they weren't the greatest

I've explained why, and that is the reality of it. If you do not have the ability to play fixtures midweek in the darker months, then you cannot have a workable fixture list.

Once you have the Junior Cup underway with replays and postponements that take priority over every other fixture, as well as the one or two clubs that have senior Scottish Cup games that take priority over Junior Cup, then it would fall apart completely by December.

The best we could hope for is a better approach to providing fixtures eg. in 6 week blocks, rather than getting to the turn of the year and having a maximum of 2 weeks in advance.

What's the average number of games played by teams in each league? And how many teams in the league have flood lights, I still don't see that being an issue.

Also just about every other league in the world can cope with cup replays and competitions that take priority. The fixtures get changed when there is a clash and rearranged. It's just our archaic structure and mindset that stops us doing it.

If the league utilised floodlights where available Bonnyrigg wouldn't have the backlog they have now. Penicuik could have been played the Wednesday after a cup tie etc. Teams being able to refuse playing under floodlights is so amateur it's unbelievable.

Spfl league 2 has 36 fixtures in its league campaign. None of them were put down for a midweek night. These were exclusively used for catch up due to weather or Scottish cup commitments.

Play 4 midweek at start and 4 at the end if needed that means 22 Saturdays from a possible 44 or so. Add in the cups and the call offs all you like the figures mean that you've an easy way to create a fixture list

1 hour ago, sponsorsladdie said:

What's the average number of games played by teams in each league? And how many teams in the league have flood lights, I still don't see that being an issue.

Also just about every other league in the world can cope with cup replays and competitions that take priority. The fixtures get changed when there is a clash and rearranged. It's just our archaic structure and mindset that stops us doing it.

Just about every other league has floodlights!

15 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Spfl league 2 has 36 fixtures in its league campaign. None of them were put down for a midweek night. These were exclusively used for catch up due to weather or Scottish cup commitments.

Correct, they used midweek nights under floodlights to catch-up fixtures, hence why they have a workable fixture list and where they can play Challenge Cup, League Cup and Scottish Cup games in winter months in midweek!

18 minutes ago, #BBB said:

always amazes me that teams get to refuse to play under lights.Do they teams train in the dark in winter ? How can they claim unfair advantage.when most if not all teams train under lights.the beaks should utilize lights for those that have them.

I'm not sure there is a rule that allows teams to refuse, just that the fixtures secretary is reluctant to schedule matches under lights unless clubs request it.

There's been a handful of games through in the West that have been played under lights this season.

Rather than the continual arguement against the fixture list why can't we just try it for a season, if it works problem solved, if it doesn't then it surely can't produce a bigger shambles than we have at the moment.

Correct, they used midweek nights under floodlights to catch-up fixtures, hence why they have a workable fixture list and where they can play Challenge Cup, League Cup and Scottish Cup games in winter months in midweek!

And that's a handful of games. Think ten mayo played by anyone was 5- from august 6th to May 6th. And average of one midweek game every 60 days or so

2 hours ago, pipedreamer said:

If the league utilised floodlights where available Bonnyrigg wouldn't have the backlog they have now. Penicuik could have been played the Wednesday after a cup tie etc. Teams being able to refuse playing under floodlights is so amateur it's unbelievable.

Since Christmas they've played Hill of Beath on a Sat, Broxburn and Penicuik midweek in May, plus not visited Kelty yet, which could have been by floodlight before clocks changed?

I was looking at EOSL and it's interesting to contrast to LTHV, who were in a similar position... only reached halfway in league in mid-Feb, and were still in 6 cups amounting to over a dozen potential ties. However they played 1 midweek in Feb, then each midweek from early March on... finish tomorrow and didn't have to play any Mondays, or the midweeks before cup finals.

I found Bonnyriggs backlog very frustrating. As stated above we played at Penicuik  in  a week where we had 2 midweeks games, the previous week we had done the same at Broxburn in a week when we also had 2 midweek games. 2 games that could have been played midweek under lights in March or early april. I think I am correct in saying we have not had a game at home postponed this season. We also had to squeeze in a Monday game at Dundee with a 6.15 kick off.   Crazy!!!!!

I also find the getting fixtures on a week by week basis frustrating. How are teams supposed to organise sponorship for games when they don't know where they are playing the following week???

I also find the getting fixtures on a week by week basis frustrating. How are teams supposed to organise sponorship for games when they don't know where they are playing the following week??? 

Aye but aye but aye but floodlights.....

Aye but there's no floodlights......

This whole idea that floodlights are what makes a fixture list possible is unbelievable to hear from what I assume are full grown adults. There are always gonna be postponements and cups but it's when these games are scheduled that's key here.

It is not acceptable in this day and age to have teams playing Saturday, Monday Wednesday and based on the comments across this forum, the quality of play on display has been (understandably) way below the norm for the majority of these games.

I mention broxburn and penicuik as they have floodlights and these games could have been played midweek in march or early april. I appreciate not every team has them but those that do could use them.

Archived