Dunfermline (Scottish cup winners) vs Hibs (Established second tier side)

£300k for Sibbald :lol: :lol:

Hearts are only getting £400k for Paterson who's an established premiership player and an international.

Shree hundred grand ffs :lol:

It's the compo due on his development fee

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGregor was good but to say Ambrose strolled it is stretching things. Nearly stumbled over the ball a couple of times and was very lucky not to get booked for what looked like an elbow by the TV gantry. The back three looked very nervy at times and we didn't really put then under enough pressure. Glad that we scored a penalty though. Not happened much this season. 

15 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

McGregor was good but to say Ambrose strolled it is stretching things. Nearly stumbled over the ball a couple of times and was very lucky not to get booked for what looked like an elbow by the TV gantry. The back three looked very nervy at times and we didn't really put then under enough pressure. Glad that we scored a penalty though. Not happened much this season. 

You joking? I'd wager Ambrose didn't lose the ball once the whole game. Just because he looks clumsy, doesn't mean he's not having a good game. He was also quite good at supporting Boyle on the right wing, which I'd never have thought would be his game at all. 

I felt we more than merited our point and the players worked their socks off but I don't think we were allowed to do much going forward. That's why it was so important that we were solid at the back ourselves.

2 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I can'

Were you there? Or watching via twitter update?

Oh I was there. McGregor looked uncomfortable and fluffed his lines a few times right in front of me. Shame we couldn't get at them at all.

Thought today was a good game. Both teams were trying to play attacking football. Despite it being obvious throughout the 90 mins that Hibs players had more quality than ours, they didn't actually dominate, other than in short spells.

McGregor is by far the best defender in the league and McGinn is a wonderful midfielder. However, Brian Graham is terrible - summed up by his open goal miss, from a full yard out. Boyle seems to run around a lot, without any real end product.

Referee/officials were generally poor all game. No consistency and, at times, looked to lose control of the game. Penalty, it looked like the defender had his arm outstretched, and stopped the ball being flicked over his head by using it. Given more often than not, but certainly one that is debatable.

Lennon was constantly throwing tantrums in the dugout, throwing and kicking things around on the touch line. It really was pathetic. He then brought on a full back for a striker at 1-1, and celebrated the draw by walking over to the main stand to gesture at the least vocal section of the home support at full time. Totally bizarre! Yet to be convinced by him, as a manager. Think you could win this league, with your current squad, with just about anyone in charge. It should certainly be a lot more comfortable for you than it has been.

It wasn't the most pretty game technically, but I found it to be quite entertaining yesterday. I thought the draw was the right outcome; I was a bit bemused by Lennon's post-match comments that Hibs controlled it. We certainly shaded the second half (IMO) while they shaded the first.

I felt that Hibs' defence was there to be got at given their injuries and at times, particularly first 45, they looked a bit nervy at times when we played the ball forward. As has been the case during much of the season though, we just weren't incisive enough or found the killer pass - although we did have chances - to create some real clear scoring opportunities. Aside from Graham's howling miss, neither did they really right enough.

Defensively again I thought we were good and Ashcroft and Morris have really gelled into a terrific partnership. Talbot I felt had a hard time against Boyle early on but came on to a better game, while Geggan put in a good shift. While I'll say McGinn (Hibs' best player by a distance) took his goal very well, I was disappointed we didn't make it harder for him to get the strike off. Still, he hit it well, so fair play.

As for the penalty, I couldn't see it; some folk said their boy had his arm up, others said it was a bit iffy. The Pars players did go nuts about it but certainly it was the linesman who gave it, who you assume had a better view than the ref. Nice that we actually scored from one.

The referee wasn't great for both teams; all the first half bookings I thought were on the harsh side but despite that he's not the worst we've had.

Hibs will still win the league (surely) even if they can play much better than today. We competed well though and deserved a point. 

I think four points from our next two games should see us safe. If we beat Rovers next week we're all but there.

Mind all those arseholes who used to slate Malonga all the time and said we could do better. Now we have Brian fucking Graham. I'd have a injury prone El Alagui and half fit stokes over holt and Graham right now. Our forward options last season were far superior to this shite. Find it quite strange as we were free scoring during pre-season. 

When Cummings isn't scoring it really does show. Feel quite bad for him because all the pressure is on him to score the goals and when he doesn't he's taking the brunt of people's frustrations for being "lazy and uninterested". Don't think it's that at all, I think he's just getting absolutely no service from anyone. 

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:19, Zing. said:

Not surprised we looked nervy at the back with Brian McLean playing. Nightmare to lose Hanlon again. 

McLean didn't look bad for his first senior game in months and his first Scottish one for three years, starting a game that no one expected him to play until an hour before kick-off. We've had just about every eventuality occur this year, preventing us from fielding our first-choice defence since January.

McGregor looked a bit unsteady in the first half and made two errors that the Pars bewilderingly failed to score from. The YLT Dreamboat took command of both centre-back positions but he ended up fluffing two balls under pressure. The first instance involved McGregor dealing with a loose ball across the six yard line, but he merely tapped the ball back across goal and straight to the Dunfermline player - Ambrose was over quickly to cut out the danger. The second instance started with one of Ambrose's fabled 'tragic moments', but he recovered to flick the ball to McGregor. Under pressure, McGregor chose to pass back to the keeper; the pass back was too short and too far to the right of Marciano. I don't know why Marciano attempted to go for the ball as he was getting nowhere near it at that pace, but it seemed to work - it was probably more down to McMullan's atrocious attempt to score.

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:17, Salvo Montalbano said:

McGregor improved a lot as the game went on; Ambrose was comfortable throughout. Ambrose was so cool on the ball that he turned the pitch to ice, but this froze the ball to the pitch too - Efe got caught on it and slipped up. He still never gave possession away despite his magnEfecent mistake. We were playing with a back four, but you're right in saying that Dunfermline should have put us under more pressure. If the Pars didn't dwell so deep after defending a corner, McGinn wouldn't have had enough space for his terrific strike. Ambrose coped well with the responsibility of linking up with Boyle too, something that Stevenson struggled to do with another makeshift left-sided midfielder in front of him.

Some players are left with too much to do during a game because the rest are trying to blend in with the grass. My thoughts from recent games still stand regarding rests for Bartley & McGeouch; McGinn gets pass marks for his performance but is still persistently passing to opposition players. My thoughts from recent months still stand too - our tactics and setup may need to change to suit the players available: the imbalance in the side is making us entirely ineffective going forward.

I enjoyed Lennon's righteous ranting about the media (not his abysmal 'euphemisms'), but I haven't enjoyed much of his football. Our setup has suffered without a fully fit eleven this year, but it was hardly cutting through the Championship at any point. We have been hard to beat, but that is largely down to the poor quality on display from the rest of the league. Without any width, our direct style has been blunt and devoid of the delivery needed for it to work. Lennon's sides may have more shape than a Stubbs side and he identified where changes needed to be made, but he is currently showing that he is unwilling/unable to adapt his setup/system.

You could argue about the variables and whether we would be better or worse under Stubbs, but I would certainly rather pay to watch a Stubbs side at the moment.

McGregor improved a lot as the game went on; Ambrose was comfortable throughout. Ambrose was so cool on the ball that he turned the pitch to ice, but this froze the ball to the pitch too - Efe got caught on it and slipped up. He still never gave possession away despite his magnEfecent mistake. We were playing with a back four, but you're right in saying that Dunfermline should have put us under more pressure. If the Pars didn't dwell so deep after defending a corner, McGinn wouldn't have had enough space for his terrific strike. Ambrose coped well with the responsibility of linking up with Boyle too, something that Stevenson struggled to do with another makeshift left-sided midfielder in front of him.Some players are left with too much to do during a game because the rest are trying to blend in with the grass. My thoughts from recent games still stand regarding rests for Bartley & McGeouch; McGinn gets pass marks for his performance but is still persistently passing to opposition players. My thoughts from recent months still stand too - our tactics and setup may need to change to suit the players available: the imbalance in the side is making us entirely ineffective going forward.

I enjoyed Lennon's righteous ranting about the media (not his abysmal 'euphemisms'), but I haven't enjoyed much of his football. Our setup has suffered without a fully fit eleven this year, but it was hardly cutting through the Championship at any point. We have been hard to beat, but that is largely down to the poor quality on display from the rest of the league. Without any width, our direct style has been blunt and devoid of the delivery needed for it to work. Lennon's sides may have more shape than a Stubbs side and he identified where changes needed to be made, but he is currently showing that he is unwilling/unable to adapt his setup/system.

You could argue about the variables and whether we would be better or worse under Stubbs, but I would certainly rather pay to watch a Stubbs side at the moment.

I can't quite remember the short pass back your referring to but you do realise that Reilly didn't actually play a single second of that match.

Ps not sure why it didn't copy the first part of your post. Which is what i was talking about

1 hour ago, dafc_lee said:

I can't quite remember the short pass back your referring to but you do realise that Reilly didn't actually play a single second of that match.

Ps not sure why it didn't copy the first part of your post. Which is what i was talking about

You can see it on your highlights video at 2.35:

I have no idea why I typed Reilly - I knew it wasn't him - my subconscious must have assumed that 'atrocious attempt to score' could only mean one player.

To divert from my mistake, I think we could all do with some form of amendment or clarification to the 'hand ball' rule. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a rule that states that Stevenson should have been punished. It was an incident which seems to fall into an unintelligible blur in whether or not it was worthy of a penalty. I don't believe that anyone can argue that it was an intentional hand ball. The often cited 'unnatural position' reasoning is disputable too; I'm not sure that his arm was abnormally positioned when he lunged forward. I don't think I've ever seen a player try to make a tackle whilst standing like a regimental soldier or someone going down a waterslide.

That said, if I was a Pars fan, I would have burnt the referee in an impromptu centre-circle bonfire had it not been given. (I would have thrown Gavin Reilly on the fire for good measure.)

You can see it on your highlights video at 2.35:
I have no idea why I typed Reilly - I knew it wasn't him - my subconscious must have assumed that 'atrocious attempt to score' could only mean one player.
To divert from my mistake, I think we could all do with some form of amendment or clarification to the 'hand ball' rule. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a rule that states that Stevenson should have been punished. It was an incident which seems to fall into an unintelligible blur in whether or not it was worthy of a penalty. I don't believe that anyone can argue that it was an intentional hand ball. The often cited 'unnatural position' reasoning is disputable too; I'm not sure that his arm was abnormally positioned when he lunged forward. I don't think I've ever seen a player try to make a tackle whilst standing like a regimental soldier or someone going down a waterslide.
That said, if I was a Pars fan, I would have burnt the referee in an impromptu centre-circle bonfire had it not been given. (I would have thrown Gavin Reilly on the fire for good measure.)

Tbh I did watch the highlights earlier today but have since been on the piss since so couldn't remember the pass back and CBA looking again. I really just didn't want to come across as a cheeky p***k when pointing out your error regarding reilly (although that useless tit would no doubt have missed anyway)

Archived