GK
Murdoch - keep
Hutton - leave
Gill - keep
Defence
Ashcroft - keep
Morris - keep
Talbot - keep
Martin - keep (purely for versatility in a small squad)
Williamson - keep (give him a good pre-season, and potentially a 6-month loan for regular games, and there's the makings of a decent player in there somewhere!)
Fordyce - leave
BRE - leave
Midfield
Geggan - keep
Wedderburn - keep
Higginbotham - keep
Cardle - keep (decent back-up option, not as a regular)
McCabe - leave
Paton - leave
Spence - leave
Strikers
Clark - keep
Moffat - keep
Hopkirk - leave
On-Loan (if possible)
McMullan - keep
Herron - keep
Reilly - leave

The key for me would be getting Ashcroft, Morris and Higgy signed - and working on McMullan as well. Murdoch is key as well, but I believe he's already signed up for next year. We really need at least 2 x full backs, 1 x centre-mid, 1 x winger and 2 x strikers.

Aye, this.

Is he done at this level? Always thought he was a decent player but he's barely played this season.

He's a fairly standard winger at this level, capable of being fantastic, capable of being fairly anonymous, however he does always try hard and he's the biggest goal threat out of our wingers. Higginbotham and especially McMullan have been two of our better players so he's struggling for game time.

I'd imagine he'd be on a good wage for a back up though, I'd like to keep him.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he leaves us a Prem team will take a punt on him, he said he had a few offers before. Doubt he's on massive wages tbh.

Is Keatings actually any good? I've had a strange feeling for a while that we'll sign him, and he's been with us before. We're desperately needing another option up front, and a poacher type could be handy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Keatings actually any good? I've had a strange feeling for a while that we'll sign him, and he's been with us before. We're desperately needing another option up front, and a poacher type could be handy.

I rate him. He's never been a guaranteed starter for us since signing, purely because of our other strikers. Managers obviously rate him because Stubbs and Lennon have tried him in attacking midfield just to get him in the team but he's hot and cold there. 

He needs a team where he's going to start nearly every game now. He's got the talent just needs to be more consistent. St Johnstone would be a good fit but I think he might stay if offered a new contract.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I like him, but he's a confidence player and could do with a run of games in his natural position to get him going.  For a team that aren't scoring that many goals why we persevere with Holt or Graham up front with Cummings instead of him is beyond me! Fair enough for difficult pitches but we'd get more goals playing him and Cummings up front imo.

He's played ok in the attacking mid role but it clearly isn't his favoured postion.  Whether we offer him another contract I'd say depends on if Cummings stays or goes in the summer, I'd hope Holt and/or Graham will leave & I don't know if we'll fancy trying to get in 3+ strikers in one window.  

Why? Unless I've missed him being out of contract in the summer (didn't read back before posting). He's played well every time I've seen him this year.

He's a lower -mid championship Defensive mid.

Surely as a United fan, you should be looking a bit higher than that next season?

33 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Surely as a United fan, you should be looking a bit higher than that next season?

He's one of the worst players I've seen at tfs all season.  I think saying he's lower to mid champ is a bit optimistic.

59 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

He's one of those players who rarely has a middle ground. He's either brilliant or awful and not much in between. I saw him be both for Cowdenbeath and Inverness saw enough in him to take him into the Premiership but he rarely got a game there and was back in the Championship within a year. He's been fairly anonymous against us twice for Dunfermline this season. He missed the 1st game injured and we don't play the 4th until the final week of the season.

If there's one player to sort a players attitude would be Duffy. If he gets punted, a team that challenge the play offs wouldn't be a bad team to go to. However I reckon a team like Thistle or County would be a good foil for him.

Morton fans - if we get promoted (big if) would we see a return of Chris Millar? Wrong side of 30 but would add Premiership experience and still has a bit of class around him.

Id rather have Andy Murdoch signed up than bringing Millar back

Id rather have Andy Murdoch signed up than bringing Millar back

Likewise, however Millar can play as a wide midfielder and with Murdoch and Tidser's contracts up and Lindsay and Nesbitt more than likely back at Celtic - the latter who doesn't look like he'll have any form of future at the club. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lindsay involved with the first team at Celtic, albeit on the fringes.

Millar can't play as a wide midfielder anymore, he's not got the legs. He'd absolutely stroll this division though.

7 hours ago, stumigoo said:

How long is Wedderburn under contract for? Would imagine a few teams (hopefully us) might be looking at him.

he is out of contract this season but I think he is pretty happy here, seems to be the first place he has had a really good run in the team and stay pretty close to the stadium but of course money talks and if Unt gave him a good deal im sure he would be off although I tink Unt should have slightly better aspirations, youll get your second parachute payment this summer of £300/250K 

14 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

13 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He's one of the worst players I've seen at tfs all season.  I think saying he's lower to mid champ is a bit optimistic.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's one of those players who rarely has a middle ground. He's either brilliant or awful and not much in between. I saw him be both for Cowdenbeath and Inverness saw enough in him to take him into the Premiership but he rarely got a game there and was back in the Championship within a year. He's been fairly anonymous against us twice for Dunfermline this season. He missed the 1st game injured and we don't play the 4th until the final week of the season.

9 hours ago, Adam101 said:

he is out of contract this season but I think he is pretty happy here, seems to be the first place he has had a really good run in the team and stay pretty close to the stadium but of course money talks and if Unt gave him a good deal im sure he would be off although I tink Unt should have slightly better aspirations, youll get your second parachute payment this summer of £300/250K 

Interesting hearing from others (probably shows that he is definitely very inconsistent). I just think that with our squad one of the things we don't have is a a physical presence in the middle of the park. In certain games this season we have been too easy to break open and we need extra protection for our defence. I found him to be similar to Bartley at Hibs in that in certain games he can dominate a midfield and make a huge difference. 

He's one of those players who rarely has a middle ground.

You genuinely couldn't be further wrong if you tried tbh.

This will utterly shock you, but player performances can vary from game to game, the game at TFS was the worst we had played all season, he wasn't even the worst Dunfermline player on the day.

Interesting hearing from others (probably shows that he is definitely very inconsistent).

On the contrary I'd say his performances are pretty consistent week to week, he's improved as the season has went on due to an increase in match fitness, he barely played last year at Inverness and the first half of the season he struggled with injuries. The past few months though it's been steady going, Outwith the Falkirk game where he didn't play well, it was one of those games where 11 players simultaneously had a shocker though.

17 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You genuinely couldn't be further wrong if you tried tbh.

This will utterly shock you, but player performances can vary from game to game, the game at TFS was the worst we had played all season, he wasn't even the worst Dunfermline player on the day.

On the contrary I'd say his performances are pretty consistent week to week, he's improved as the season has went on due to an increase in match fitness, he barely played last year at Inverness and the first half of the season he struggled with injuries. The past few months though it's been steady going, Outwith the Falkirk game where he didn't play well, it was one of those games where 11 players simultaneously had a shocker though.

He looked like someone out the crowd who'd won a competition to be a pro footballer for the day. He could hardly kick the ball and his only moment of note was his comedy shuffle up the park using his massive arse to shield the ball. 

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:45, Shadwell Dog said:

He's only played against you once this year, and the whole team was rank rotten. You can hardly judge his level based on that one awful performance by the whole team.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 16:33, stumigoo said:

Why? Unless I've missed him being out of contract in the summer (didn't read back before posting). He's played well every time I've seen him this year.

He's been one of our most consistent performers for the second half of the season. He didn't start a league game until the end of October due to injuries, and only got his regular place in the side from January - and since then he's started every game this calendar year.

Would be surprised if he got a move upwards this summer, but if we can sign him on for next year and he continues his second-half form then there's no reason why he can't play in the Premiership in the future. If he picked up a bit of pace, there would be no doubts at all.

Archived